Poll: Should unhealthy foods/drinks be regulated/monitored?

Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    Deleted

How do you solve Obesity? (In America) (no nation bashing at all)

So how do you solve it? I know the video is long, but they set some strong questions.

I DEFINITELY do NOT think that they should regulate food. It just doesn't make sense, most of the time you will be able to decide smart.

And what if you introduce fat or beverage tax, then what? You will just make people suffer making their products more expensive when they want to enjoy the things they want, and I think everybody has his/her right to choose whatever they want to consume.

I know I chose America as an example, but I know it is in a lot more countries, like the UK, and many more countries.

So how do you solve it?

Also keep it civil, otherwise I will kidnap your cat/dog and force them to report you.Talk about cruel!
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2012-06-30 at 04:17 PM.

By eating healthy? What you take in is your own responsibility, this is your body- your life- you treat it and live it the way you want to. If that means eating McDonalds and dying of a massive heart attack at 53 years old, that's on you.

Being a healthy human being is not rocket science. It's natural.

Deleted
    Education and cheaper healthy food. The reason people eat crap is because it is all they can afford much of the time, either that or they are bone idle. Regardless, education and cheaper healthy food would help.

The healthiest foods are all free. Throw some vegetable seeds in a pot and grow your own.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it has to do with pricing. Eating well here costs more. Dollar menus are enticing things when you can get a meal for like 2 bucks or pay 5 bucks for a couple apples.

10+ Year Old Account
    Higher tax on food that is not nutritional, with the proceeds going to make healthy foods cheaper. Pizza is not a vegetable...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewls View Post
    The healthiest foods are all free. Throw some vegetable seeds in a pot and grow your own.
    So we should all have our own farms in order to eat healthily? You wont get many vegetable in a small pot.

You solve it by fixing society. The fact that Americans work longer hours and more days compared to the rest of the world has a lot to do with the issue of obesity and unhealthy living. As far as a permanent fix I do not know how to even remotely tackle this situation.
    Cheese. Its amazing. Until your feet smell like it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Higher tax on food that is not nutritional, with the proceeds going to make healthy foods cheaper. Pizza is not a vegetable...
    No, it isn't. I heard that they classified it as a vegetable, plain dumb imo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    I second this. Of course "un-nutritional" is a vague term, but tax sugar way more.

If you grow the correct vegetables, you can get a nice yield from potted plants.
    Also, vegetables are not as expensive as some make them out to be. People are just too lazy to do research and read nutrition labels. We have the wealth of information of the internet at our fingertips. There is absolutely no excuse.

education, higher tax's on fattier foods, if you want to go that far

but when it comes down to it, its down to the people who are obsessed to WANT to do something about it
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

I see the problem being with shelf life. All of these foods last so much longer than their healthier alternatives. Stay well and far away from processed foods.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    No, it isn't. I heard that they classified it as a vegetable, plain dumb imo.
    Because I believe everything I see on TV. They classify the sauce as one serving of vegetable.

Deleted
    Tax the shit out of everything with sugar or corn syrup (candy, soda...), put some tax on fast food as well. That will make it more expensive and the money will be used on a campaign and also put into healthcare.

Taxing foods is not the way to combat obesity in America. The way starts with the children. Promote through schools healthy living IE good eating habits and the most important thing, physical activity. You can still get obese by eating "healthy" foods. The key to the entire thing is physical activity. THe problem in america is the fact that everyone keeps harping on healthy eating but no one is promoting physical fitness/activities as much. Back in the early 1900s you know why obesity was not a HUGE(no pun intended) problem back then even though the foods people ate were 100x worse for you compared to our foods today? Thats right its because they were forced into physical activity because technology wasnt so amazing back then. The key is physical activity. You push that on to the children now and obesity in america will slowly go away imo.

The entire issue with taxing "unhealthy" foods is the fact it only addresses a symptom not the core problem. People believed taxing cigarettes would cause people to go away from it but yet here we are years after the fact and the smoking industry is doing just as well if not better.
    Cheese. Its amazing. Until your feet smell like it.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think they should regulate it. Why? Unlike your thoughts of people are smart enough or what have you, people continue to prove time and time again that no, they are not smart enough and will buy unhealthy food on a whim. Plus, maybe with unhealthy food being more taxed, the government could also push restaurants/food brands to try and make food healthier/restaurants serve healthier more realistic serving sizes, they certainly don't help. I mean, your dinner should NOT be bigger than your face, simply unhealthy, especially considering you won't be burning it off and you'll be going to bed likely within a couple hours or so. Dinners are supposed to be the lightest meal of the day, but Americans have gotten so used to these huge ass meals throughout the day, with the biggest one being dinner now, that they can't seem to regulate themselves anymore. I recently started dieting and I must say, eating less at dinner, and a healthier meal (try spinach?) works wonders. I sleep really calmly and wake up not feeling bloated or anything, ready for a day of whatever.

Americans have been given the chance to regulate themselves by being told time and time again via news amongst other sources, even friends, what is and what is not healthy and how they should eat, they continue to eat in very unhealthy manners but as I said before, it is not at all helped since manufacturers/restaurants are not at all regulated either. Something needs to change.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    "Educate and inform the masses..."
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    "Educate and inform the masses..."
    Too bad that's already been tried... doesn't seem to work.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Subsidize healthy food. Would work quite decent in my country as well if we'd just subsidize that instead of fucking Nokia or whatever shit.