Thread: Feel like sh*t

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Feel like sh*t

I feel like sh*t, as the title says. I accidentally killed my dog last night.

He was 13 years old, and already on his way out, but I still feel bad.

I was pulling into my driveway, and my wife had opened the gate (it's a rolling wrought iron gate) and the dogs came out to greet as as usual. I ALWAYS go very slow, because they have a tendency to walk too close to the tires. Well, my older dog, his name was Brownie, just stopped right in front of the car, and I couldn't see him as I drive a large SUV. I didn't actually roll over him, but his torso got stuck under the tire. I immediately backed up, but he was dead within about a minute.

The worst part, I think, is that my 10 year old son was standing RIGHT THERE and saw the whole thing happen not 3 feet from him, and my wife too.

I just finished burying him in our backyard.

Thanks for reading, I really don't even expect replies, just had to get this out.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to hear about your dog mate

Sorry to hear!

/cookies

Deleted
    I'm so sorry to hear that, my condolences.

Deleted
    Ah that's terrible, sorry to hear this :/

Deleted
    it sounds like there is nothing you could have done about it. you couldn't see the dog or hear he was there before it was too late. your dog was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    That sucks that your wife and son saw it happen. You can't even really pawn it off as just an inevitable part of life and that it was "just his time to go". As upsetting as it may be I think it'll teach your son that you should never take things for granted, that you should always be careful regardless of what you're doing, and that accidents happen no matter how hard you try to avoid them.

Not to sound cynical, but this just reaffirms why leash laws are intact in many states. Don't let your pets free-roam. It puts other people, yourself, and the pet at risk.

R.I.P Doggy I knew ye well.

Perhaps he held out just long enough for you to get home.

It's terrible that you and your family had to experience that, though. My condolences. He's lucky to have been in a family that *will* mourn him.

Aww noo, im terribly sorry to hear that mate

There is nothing worse than losing your pet, and I cant even imagine how you feel losing it in this way.

Get a new dog as soon as possible, and you might feel better. We had to put our old Rottweiler down due to really bad teeth, but we kinda knew in advance that it was gonna happen sooner or later, so we had a new rottweiler puppy lined up. He was supposed to be "schooled" a little by the older one, but sadly, that wasnt meant to be.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    That's...... Wow....

If there is ANYTHING positive, it's the fact that 13 years is a lot for a dog, and this way you (and the rest of the family) won't have to see it slowly wither away....

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbruz View Post
    There is nothing worse than losing your pet, and I cant even imagine how you feel losing it in this way.
    i think losing a parent, your son or your spouse are worse. a pet can be replaced. a loving parent, a fitting spouse or a child can't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    i think losing a parent, your son or your spouse are worse. a pet can be replaced. a loving parent, a fitting spouse or a child can't.
    You can allways marry again or have another child, so they are replaceable. Will they be the same? No, but a new pet won't be the same either, its not a toy its a friend.

Deleted
    My condolances, that'd be one of my biggest nightmares losing my dog like that. Good luck to your family especially your son.. i hope he's alright.

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    Well yeah...but you know what I mean surely...context and all..

jeez

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epiphanes View Post
    Not to sound cynical, but this just reaffirms why leash laws are intact in many states. Don't let your pets free-roam. It puts other people, yourself, and the pet at risk.
    It was in my own backyard. No leash needed. They don't run around the neighborhood.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

15+ Year Old Account
    Aww, that is awfull

I am really sorry to hear you had to experience such an awfull thing .

Quote Originally Posted by Alakir the Windlord View Post
    You can allways marry again or have another child, so they are replaceable. Will they be the same? No, but a new pet won't be the same either, its not a toy its a friend.
    Agreed^ Pets, become part of the family and by good ppl are treated as such. Their passing has no less meaning to those that have loved and raised them.

OP:This is very unfortunate and I am deeply sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be devastated if I did that to my cat

I know it's been said plenty of times but, after reading the story and putting myself in your position, I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't know what I'd do if I lost my dog at all, let alone to an (albeit unavoidable) accident that I caused.

RIP Dog.

Rathalir Emberlight of the Crystal Desert realm