Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Star Wars Galaxies, Pre-NGE... Who misses it?

I can't be the only person who misses old school Star Wars, with 32 professions and Jedi being extremely rare.

To this day, I don't think I've ever seen a community as amazing as SWG was. Player cities, crafting system, 32 professions, space combat and the ability to be completely neutral and play YOUR STORY.
    Shuttle of Illidan

15+ Year Old Account
    All I have to say is ----> http://www.swgemu.com/forums/index.php

If you didn't know about it before, have fun with it once again! Its an emulated server, a bunch of guys got together and started building the old game. It's buggy, but it lets me get my fix every once in a while. It's still in the test phase, pre alpha so to speak, but getting 'closer' to the eventual release. Enjoy!
    wyrd bið ful aræd

I didn't play SWG pre-NGE, but I think even post-NGE was better than SWTOR. I feel bad for SWG players who lost their game to it.

Quote Originally Posted by rolo4804 View Post

If you didn't know about it before, have fun with it once again! Its an emulated server, a bunch of guys got together and started building the old game. It's buggy, but it lets me get my fix every once in a while. It's still in the test phase, pre alpha so to speak, but getting 'closer' to the eventual release. Enjoy!
    I saw that years ago and may give it a try finally, thanks for reminding me of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Thrage View Post
    I didn't play SWG pre-NGE, but I think even post-NGE was better than SWTOR. I feel bad for SWG players who lost their game to it.
    Post-NGE wasn't entirely bad, but it was nothing compared to pre-NGE. I just think the whole "You're free to do anything" was great. When you created a character, you simply character a character. You didn't select a class nor a faction. It was really enjoyable and I'm really upset it's not officially supported anymore. One of the main reason why I hate SW:TOR with a passion.
    Shuttle of Illidan

I sure miss it, although i was 9 when playing it and had no idea what i was doing but it was hella fun to go on hunting expeditions
    I thought Dragon Age 2 was innovative and groundbreaking!
    lol >.>

Quote Originally Posted by looopy View Post
    I sure miss it, although i was 9 when playing it and had no idea what i was doing but it was hella fun to go on hunting expeditions
    Word. Dantooine Hunting camp, 8man groups. Awwyea
    Shuttle of Illidan

Deleted
    I've heard good things about it, though I never got the chance to play it for myself. A shame, considering certain aspects appealed to me a lot and are missing from many current day MMORPG's.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taenathal View Post
    I've heard good things about it, though I never got the chance to play it for myself. A shame, considering certain aspects appealed to me a lot and are missing from many current day MMORPG's.
    One thing i did enjoy was if you were going to change your build, you could AFK Grind it out. now im not a big fan of grinding at all. so the ability to AFK Grind while im at work or something was a good thing for me atleast.

Quote Originally Posted by rolo4804 View Post

I am definately intrigued. My gawd, it must have been so much work to "reverse engineer" the whole game without Sony code. I am planning on trying it on the emu server when I get home. However, I wonder if it will be all that or just one of those meant for a nostagia trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Shuttle View Post
    Word. Dantooine Hunting camp, 8man groups. Awwyea
    Is it just me or was that the place to be? my server had like hundreds of people in that little town at all times. Then i came back after camp for a month and it was barren, i didnt know how to move my character, the game popped up with a window that asked me if i wanted to be a jedi among other difficult professions (something that had previously been extremely tough to achieve), and swg was forever ruined.... oh NGE, go fuck yourself
    I thought Dragon Age 2 was innovative and groundbreaking!
    lol >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the problem I've had with developers. If the game is scraped and is no longer available to play release the game code so people can run servers. I'd does it with their stuff everyone else should too.

As good as pre-NGE/CU was, most of my fondest memories came from the people I was playing with.

Admittedly, it wouldn't have been quite as much fun without two rancors due to a bugged CL0 pet, but hey.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clickerflipper View Post
    I am definately intrigued. My gawd, it must have been so much work to "reverse engineer" the whole game without Sony code. I am planning on trying it on the emu server when I get home. However, I wonder if it will be all that or just one of those meant for a nostagia trip?
    They've done a lot with the game, but it's still far from playable as a released game. Last I played, a portion of the mobs were stuck under ground unable to be attacked, but there were camps upon camps upon camps of mobs everywhere in the wilderness (something I don't quite remember being so much of). I also felt the leveling process they had (or have, havent logged in for a while) was a little too fast. CH and BE are still out of the game, as are some of the crafting professions, an they wont be addressed timeline wise til mid Alpha phase (they're still pre alpha). I loved my CH and BE characters back int he day, and thats always been my biggest draw.
    wyrd bið ful aræd

Not sure I "miss" SWG. Not really into Star Wars too much. However, I do miss that MMOs in varying styles used to common.

/weep for the Tk Rifleman

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuttle View Post
    I can't be the only person who misses old school Star Wars, with 32 professions and Jedi being extremely rare.

To this day, I don't think I've ever seen a community as amazing as SWG was. Player cities, crafting system, 32 professions, space combat and the ability to be completely neutral and play YOUR STORY.

Play Secrete World. Might make you happy.

Pre NGE was hilarious. I used to solo packs of Force Users and Rancors with my ridiculous Teras Kasai/Sniper setup, with high first-aid. It was something like the following:

Experience needed
    1h Sword 216,000 (4.42%)
    Apprentice 620 (0.01%)
    Combat 838,550 (17.14%)
    Medical 93,000 (1.90%)
    Medical Crafting 11,500 (0.24%)
    Rifle 2,291,000 (46.83%)
    Unarmed 1,441,000 (29.46%)

Total Experience 4,891,670

I could cripple/stun mobs from range, then run in and tank the crap out of them, keeping them stun locked the whole way. It was pretty entertaining, made cantina PvP hilarious.

Man, I loved Pre-CU SWG .. trying to complete knight trials before CU .... Running around with Doc / MRifle alt. Mind fire Jawa rifles ...

I wish I had gotten into it, I was playing on a private Ultima Online server for the longest time in that period. Had our own rulesets and communities and unique ore for mining, good times.

SWG had tons of bugs and precious little content, but it was one of the best MMOs I ever played. Deep resource and crafting, the ability to be anything you wanted to be, player cities, rare Jedi in hiding, all of these things made the game great.

I had my own little mining empire on Sunrunner, I had a whole staff of players who mined for me, I told them what to mine and bought everything they could get me at good rates, and then sold it on at a slightly higher price to the armorsmiths and weaponsmiths on the server. Every single one of the best crafters was buying from me, I made millions, credit capped my main character. My whole guild was wearing the best sliced composite armor (in hot pink, ofc).

You just couldn't create that sort of niche enterprise in most MMOs these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    SWG had tons of bugs and precious little content, but it was one of the best MMOs I ever played. Deep resource and crafting, the ability to be anything you wanted to be, player cities, rare Jedi in hiding, all of these things made the game great.

I had my own little mining empire on Sunrunner, I had a whole staff of players who mined for me, I told them what to mine and bought everything they could get me at good rates, and then sold it on at a slightly higher price to the armorsmiths and weaponsmiths on the server. Every single one of the best crafters was buying from me, I made millions, credit capped my main character. My whole guild was wearing the best sliced composite armor (in hot pink, ofc).

You just couldn't create that sort of niche enterprise in most MMOs these days.
    There was little content, several annoying bugs, but not being limited to class or level was amazing. Being able to hunt other players regardless of faction... no other MMO has something like that.