Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The brother should understand that the child is the most important one out of whom he can save. The wife wouldn't want to live knowing her child is dead because she lived and the child being a child would want to live simply because they are young and scared, plus they have a whole lot to live for.

I'd go on a limb and say most people would agree with me, but its just personal opinion and simple elimination. Once you have a wife and kid they are above the level of relationship that you and your brother would have.

Edit: who know's how x person would choose though and could completely change if actually put into this situation rather being a scenario
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like most parents, I would save my child. I know her father (my spouse) would do the same, and I would want him to.
    When someone asks, “What is best in life?” there’s only one answer: “To crush the newbs, see them driven before me, and read their lamentations on the forums” - Lylirra

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    Because any person with a child who isn't a sociopathic monster would choose to save their child.
    Nope, not neccessarry true to be honest I will choose my brother and yes I know what it means to be a father because I'm a father in real life with 3 children. Just because I have different idea of seeing things than you and different opinion doesn't mean I'm a monster. The attitude you are using it's like "I'm 100% right because my choice is 100% right and if you don't agree with me then you are a horrible monster"

Sam the Wiser thinks they should all die

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    Nonsense. Losing a parent and forcing me to be a single father with 3 children would be a very bad idea for myself and all 3 children. I'd no longer be able to make a proper living since I'd have less income, and I'd need a babysitter to do anything, my children wouldn't be raised properly since I wouldn't be there for them. Losing my wife would ruin the lives of everybody in the house, in addition to the trauma to the kids. Losing a child would be absolutely terrible, but we'd be able to move on with life and do so much more for my other children. The core of a family is the parents, and the worst thing I could do for everyone involved would be to shatter that.

But nice job trying to pass judgment in the face of reason, though.
    Wow. Just wow. I for one wouldn't have had a kid unless I knew for certain I could manage to care for her myself if needs be. Shit happens you know, accidents, divorces etc. Growing up with a single parent isn't the end of the world, far from it.
    When someone asks, “What is best in life?” there’s only one answer: “To crush the newbs, see them driven before me, and read their lamentations on the forums” - Lylirra

Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    Because any person with a child who isn't a sociopathic monster would choose to save their child.
    Any person with a spouse who isn't a sociopathic monster would choose to save their spouse.

Wow, it works that way too!

Let them all die and then roll around in the insurance money naked. I say this because if i ever have a child(which will be never) it would be only the result of a mistake(same goes for marriage and you would never marry someone without good life insurance) unless my brother didn't have a life insurance policy then i might save him
    Last edited by TheBeardedOne; 2012-07-01 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yavannie View Post
    Wow. Just wow. I for one wouldn't have had a kid unless I knew for certain I could manage to care for her myself if needs be. Shit happens you know, accidents, divorces etc. Growing up with a single parent isn't the end of the world, far from it.
    You're right, it does. But in the long-term picture and consideration for how the family will develop later, my choice is based on the entire interest of the family as a whole, not some automatic emotional response. Yeah, people lose spouses, siblings, and children because of other reasons all the time. But the most damaging one is losing the core of the family.

Maybe if people weren't just so okay with divorces these days and not all thinking being a single parent is totally okay, we'd have a lot less messed up people in this world. Having two parents is a good thing, this is a fact.

Living your life with one less child isn't the end of the world, far from it.

I don't see any logical reason to choose your child over your spouse. Only an automatic emotional response. You make it sound so horrible, but look at the question, I mean damn, it's a horrible question to begin with. No matter what answer I say, I'm still choosing death for two people, it's all horrible. But why is your child more valuable than anyone else in the world?
    Last edited by Seegtease; 2012-07-01 at 06:25 AM.

Deleted
    You cannot really replace any of them...

10+ Year Old Account
    gotta save the child in almost all cases, unless your wife is Candace Bailey then you save her.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    Let them all die and then roll around in the insurance money naked. I say this because if i ever have a child(which will be never) it would be only the result of a mistake(same goes for marriage and you would never marry someone without good life insurance) unless my brother didn't have a life insurance policy then i might save him
    Most children are mistakes to be honest. You and I were both probably mistakes lol.

It's not how you were conceived, it's what happens after. That's like saying after just finding a puppy, but after raising it for years and bonding with it, you wouldn't be upset if it was brutally slaughtered in front of you.

It still doesn't change my stance though. I'd choose my wife and she'd choose me. It's worth noting we don't have kids though and have no desire to have one right now (definitely not where we'd need to be financially). People change and maybe my views would change after having one, but it's hard to see it from that perspective from where I am now.

I'd like to think I'm extremely logical/sensible and wouldn't simply choose based on emotion though. Just because "think of the children!" doesn't mean they're an automatic pick. Call me heartless...
    Last edited by Maconi; 2012-07-01 at 06:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have two Children 16 months apart, that would be hell of hard call , but it would be one of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone precious to me absolutely had to die and it couldn't be me who takes their place, I'd probably choose to save my wife at this point. I've never had a child (or a wife for that matter), but I've been in love. Based on the fact that I don't know what being a father feels like, yeah probably save the wife unless it would hurt her too deeply to choose that decision. Maybe if I had kids I would see the situation differently, but I'm still fucked up after losing the last woman I was in love with. I can't imagine doing it again. I don't really want my child to grow up without his mother anyways, but if I knew that's what she wanted, I'd save my child. Tragic situation regardless; I'd rather just take their places.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're right, it does. But in the long-term picture and consideration for how the family will develop later, my choice is based on the entire interest of the family as a whole, not some automatic emotional response. Yeah, people lose spouses, siblings, and children because of other reasons all the time. But the most damaging one is losing the core of the family.

Maybe if people weren't just so okay with divorces these days and not all thinking being a single parent is totally okay, we'd have a lot less messed up people in this world. Having two parents is a good thing, this is a fact.

Living your life with one less child isn't the end of the world, far from it.

I don't see any logical reason to choose your child over your spouse. Only an automatic emotional response. You make it sound so horrible, but look at the question, I mean damn, it's a horrible question to begin with. No matter what answer I say, I'm still choosing death for two people, it's all horrible. But why is your child more valuable than anyone else in the world?
    I view our child as the real glue in our relationship. In a situation like the OP, I would not be able to stay in the realtionship with my SO after deciding to sacrifice our child, because he would leave me for it. As I would him. She is the real core of our relationship.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would ask each one of them who should be saved and go with the majority vote, and if they all picked themselves I'd go randomly between 1 and 3. That way you don't have to have the choice on your mind.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

I view our child as the real glue in our relationship. In a situation like the OP, I would not be able to stay in the realtionship with my SO after deciding to sacrifice our child, because he would leave me for it. As I would him. She is the real core of our relationship.
    And this is the weak foundation that causes so many divorces in the world. I know a lot of people that get married over a child, and the relationship is so fragile, and later in life, once the kids are gone, they're free to escape that relationship they no longer (or never) want.

Our marriage is the foundation of our family. We did not have any kids until we got married. Could I find a way to get by without my wife? Yeah, of course I could. Could I find a way to get by without my kids? Yeah, of course I could. But which would be more difficult for me and the family as a whole? Losing my spouse would be far more damaging to the core of my family.

10+ Year Old Account
    Child... Even if not my own and I don't plan to have kids, because they are parasites... I still choose child...

---------- Post added 2012-07-01 at 06:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    I would ask each one of them who should be saved and go with the majority vote, and if they all picked themselves I'd go randomly between 1 and 3. That way you don't have to have the choice on your mind.
    In that case, who do you think would have a better idea of finality of death? The adults or the child? I'd say a child is not mentally competent to even make such a choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    And this is the weak foundation that causes so many divorces in the world. I know a lot of people that get married over a child, and the relationship is so fragile, and later in life, once the kids are gone, they're free to escape that relationship they no longer (or never) want.

Our marriage is the foundation of our family. We did not have any kids until we got married. Could I find a way to get by without my wife? Yeah, of course I could. Could I find a way to get by without my kids? Yeah, of course I could. But which would be more difficult for me and the family as a whole? Losing my spouse would be far more damaging to the core of my family.
    Personally, I think it's a much better choice to end an infected marriage with a divorce, than fore your children to live in what is essentially an unhappy family. Maybe this comes from growing up with my mum without my dad. I'm also not married, but I don't see myself in a future without the father of my child. Marriage is a piece of paper which makes your life easier, legally. Marriage wows are words, and words are wind.

Personally, I think it's a much better choice to end an infected marriage with a divorce, than fore your children to live in what is essentially an unhappy family. Maybe this comes from growing up with my mum without my dad. I'm also not married, but I don't see myself in a future without the father of my child. Marriage is a piece of paper which makes your life easier, legally. Marriage wows are words, and words are wind.
    The vows should not be just words, that's the thing. But this is getting really off topic. Point being, there is a very reasonable, logical purpose in me choosing my spouse. It's in the best interest of my family as a whole. There is not only one proper answer to this, and anyone who thinks so is being irrational, emotional, and judgmental.