Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

How would you feel if you found out that you're actually just a clone?

Let's say that the real you died last night in their sleep. The real you was also part of an advanced secret government cloning program. After he/she died, they removed the real you from the bed and proceeded to make a clone. This clone is YOU. Upon completion of the cloning sequence, you were placed in the bed of your predecessor. And because you were the clone of the final version, you share ALL of the same memories.

You think that you are the real you because you have all of the same memories as your predecessor, but you are actually just a clone. The cloning process having been made simpler because they studied the genome of your predecessor in great detail before he/she died.

Finally, you find out that you are really just a clone, and none of the experiences you've ever had actually happened to you. They are merely memories from the real you.

-How would you feel?
    Last edited by mmoc4695cacc2b; 2012-07-01 at 09:24 AM.

Deleted
    You watch Doctor Who, don't you?

Nothing would change for me, I remember _ME_ doing all that stuff, I KNOW I did all that, so _I_ did all that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Re4p3r123 View Post
    You watch Doctor Who, don't you?

Nothing would change for me, I remember _ME_ doing all that stuff, I KNOW I did all that, so _I_ did all that.
    But it wouldn't really be you that would've experienced all of that stuff.

Let me answer your question with another:

How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?

Sorry; I'd still be the real me. Cause of birth does not constitute elevated reality.

Sure; I'd feel strange about the whole cloning deal, but I wouldn't feel any less real for it. I would certainly not consider my memory/genome donor as 'the real me.' They're a donor. Sadly, they're dead, so I can never meet my 'parent,' if you wish. That's sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't really care. Just because I'm not the original doesn't mean I'm not me. However, if it was something like The House of the Scorpion then I'd probably be a little freaked out.
    "When I was 5 years old, my mother told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, I told them they didn't understand life." - John Lennon

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably wouldn't believe them, and continue on with my waste of an existance.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno how I would feel. But I'd just carry on with my life. Doesn't matter if I'm a clone or not. I still have the rest of my lifetime ahead of me.

Deleted
    Why should I care? Makes no difference.

Somebody just finished watching "Moon" I take it.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Somebody just finished watching "Moon" I take it.
    You are a wise one sir.

/tips hat

10+ Year Old Account
    Memories are all you have left of the things you've done anyway, how would it change who you are? All the same scars, all the same habits good and bad, you would still be you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind, actually. My body is just a bag of flesh anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Patchouli Knowledge View Post
    I think I wouldn't care much about it. Sounds like a pretty nice immortality tool. Do want.
    It wouldn't be immortality because it wouldn't actually be you.

It would be your genetic code but someone else's consciousness. You would be dead.

Deleted
    We are all just copies of our younger selves, by the time you reach adulthood not a single cell from the original you survives. In a quite literal sense the original you is already dead, leaving behind an almost perfect copy. It's not much different with a full clone, they would still essentially be the same as you, with a genuine life to lead.

Now what would be much more interesting, is that you get to meet your own clone and both have to carry on with your lives. The clone would have the exact same feelings towards your spouse and children.

I would recommend that anybody interested in the idea of cloning should watch the following episodes of Doctor Who, The Rebel Flesh http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Rebel_Flesh and The Almost People http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Alm...ple_(TV_story) as they flesh out the possibilities and problems of cloning really well.

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    It wouldn't be immortality because it wouldn't actually be you.

It would be your genetic code but someone else's consciousness. You would be dead.
    A difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    A difference that makes no difference is no difference.
    So by your logic, if the clone and the original stand next to each other then they are the same person?

No, just no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldnt give a shit
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

10+ Year Old Account
    How do I know that I'm REALLY the clone of the original, and not a clone of a clone?
    Currently Procrastinating

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    So by your logic, if the clone and the original stand next to each other then they are the same person?

No, just no.
    Obviously not if they recognize each other as a different person. But if they are unaware of each other, then yes.