Poll: What is your alignment?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Ahh I use to play this game back in 2nd ed. Turns out I am a classic Lawful Evil person. I adhere 100% to the letter of the law, I have a personal code of ethics which is based on outdated morality. But I really dislike all people, and will never go out of my way for anyone. Being Lawful evil made me the perfect warrior back in the 90's. Granted I have mellowed a lot since then, I might have finally made it to Lawful Evil with hints of goodness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jim View Post
    Oh please, I would be surprised if even half of those guys who claim to be evil, are actually evil and not just saying it cause they think they're cool.
    There's no good definition for evil..

I dont even know if Im good or evil myself. I love puppies.. so I must be good right? But on the other hand, I'd totally steal candy from a baby provided it's unspoiled and tasty if I wouldn't get caught doing so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThornyRose View Post
    There's no good definition for evil..

I dont even know if Im good or evil myself. I love puppies.. so I must be good right? But on the other hand, I'd totally steal candy from a baby provided it's unspoiled and tasty if I wouldn't get caught doing so.
    Actually there is a really good definition of evil and good.

"Profoundly immoral and malevolent."

which in someways contrast with the concept of Law. But if you look deep in to the cultural meaning of good and evil you find that the popular religion of a society defines what is immoral, so basically anyone who fallows a different morality is automatically evil. Malevolent is the feeling of wishing harm on other people.

Example of evil.

I'm transgender, I really hate people of certain beliefs who condemn me and say I am destined to hell, so I wish they would suffer painful abuses of conscience, and guilt for treating me badly. Since I fall outside the popular morality of society and wish people harm I am inherently evil, also because I am a strictly lawful person, this makes me Lawful Evil.

Now I hope this clears things up for you a bit.

One could also summarize good & evil like this:

If it hurts anyone, it's evil. If it benefits everyone, it's good.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Chaotic Good for sure, though leaning a bit to Neutral Good.

I'm definitely not evil, but I'm not "lawful"

Edit: Just took their (the guide posted by a mod on Page 1) GIANT "What D&D Character are you" and I turned out to be a Chaotic Neutral Human Sorc.

Just in regard to Law/Chaos and Good/Evil, Here's my score:

Law ----- XXX (3)
    Neutral - XXXXXXXXXX (10)
    Chaos --- XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (14)

Good ---- XXXXXX (6)
    Neutral - XXXXXXXXXXX (11)
    Evil ---- XXXXXX (6)

Kinda fun if you've got 30m to spare.

Took it again, but only the Alignment test. Same result: Chaotic Neutral, but the total score is slightly different; I got a lot more Good/Neutral and a bit less Chaotic.

PS: Alignment test is much shorter (about 5x shorter), so if you've got 5m, go ahead and take it here: http://easydamus.com/alignmenttest.html
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2012-11-25 at 01:41 PM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    I don't even know. I guess lawful neutral? But not as in "not feeling strongly about one or the other neutral" but more like doing equal share of good and evil neutral.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 01:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    "Profoundly immoral and malevolent."
    You didn't respond to my post but..

What is immoral and malevolent? Morality is very open ended matter. For example some say abortions are immoral but I find no problem with it. As for malevolent, it's more clear. But would you consider someone evil if they murdered someone strongly believing that they were protecting their home or by accident and then ran from it and hid the tracks? For example Hitler is considered evil by most but he did what he did because he thought it would make world a better place (of course I dont agree with him) and at the same time Abraham Lincoln is considered mostly good but he caused the death of many as well because he believed in abolishing slavery.

They both did basically the same things but one did it for a more generally accepted noble cause so it makes him good? I think it's all very subjective.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 01:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    One could also summarize good & evil like this:

If it hurts anyone, it's evil. If it benefits everyone, it's good.
    Not really.. would stealing from my neighbor and giving it to homeless be good then? It wouldnt really hurt my neighbors, they're pretty rich but would benefit the homeless a lot. Or for example is my dentist evil? She hurts people all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Not really.. would stealing from my neighbor and giving it to homeless be good then? It wouldnt really hurt my neighbors, they're pretty rich but would benefit the homeless a lot. Or for example is my dentist evil? She hurts people all day long.
    It was an overly simplified version on purpose, but "the greater good" expression would also qualify as good.

So yes to your first, and no to your second.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Chaotic Good for sure, though leaning a bit to Neutral Good.

I'm definitely not evil, but I'm not "lawful"

Edit: Just took their (the guide posted by a mod on Page 1) GIANT "What D&D Character are you" and I turned out to be a Chaotic Neutral Human Sorc.

Just in regard to Law/Chaos and Good/Evil, Here's my score:

Law ----- XXX (3)
    Neutral - XXXXXXXXXX (10)
    Chaos --- XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (14)

Good ---- XXXXXX (6)
    Evil ---- XXXXXX (6)

Kinda fun if you've got 30m to spare.

Took it again, but only the Alignment test. Same result: Chaotic Neutral, but the total score is slightly different; I got a lot more Good/Neutral and a bit less Chaotic.

PS: Alignment test is much shorter (about 5x shorter), so if you've got 5m, go ahead and take it here: http://easydamus.com/alignmenttest.html
    lol, according to that I'm Lawful Neutral.

Alignment:
    Lawful Good ----- XXXXXXXXXXX (11)
    Neutral Good ---- XXXXXXXXXX (10)
    Chaotic Good ---- XXXXXXXXXX (10)
    Lawful Neutral -- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (22)
    True Neutral ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (21)
    Chaotic Neutral - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (21)
    Lawful Evil ----- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (18)
    Neutral Evil ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (17)
    Chaotic Evil ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (17)

Law & Chaos:
    Law ----- XXXXXXXXX (9)
    Neutral - XXXXXXXX (8)
    Chaos --- XXXXXXXX (8)

Good & Evil:
    Good ---- XX (2)
    Neutral - XXXXXXXXXXXXX (13)
    Evil ---- XXXXXXXXX (9)

But when you see the number I lean heavily evil.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 06:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    I don't even know. I guess lawful neutral? But not as in "not feeling strongly about one or the other neutral" but more like doing equal share of good and evil neutral.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 01:27 PM ----------

You didn't respond to my post but..

What is immoral and malevolent? Morality is very open ended matter. For example some say abortions are immoral but I find no problem with it. As for malevolent, it's more clear. But would you consider someone evil if they murdered someone strongly believing that they were protecting their home or by accident and then ran from it and hid the tracks? For example Hitler is considered evil by most but he did what he did because he thought it would make world a better place (of course I dont agree with him) and at the same time Abraham Lincoln is considered mostly good but he caused the death of many as well because he believed in abolishing slavery.

They both did basically the same things but one did it for a more generally accepted noble cause so it makes him good? I think it's all very subjective.
    I think you missed the point of what I said, Good and Evil is defined by the Morality of a society. The US is heavily influenced by the Protestant version of Christianity. So many things which seem wrong and evil in America might be considered good in another part of the world.

For example: LBGT rights, in America historically as long as a person was a Christian and didn't talk about their sexual preference in public it was OK. James Buchanan the 15th President of the United States had a male lover for most of his adult life. It wasn't a big deal back then because he never publicly admitted to being homosexual. In Iran a nation where homosexuality can be a death sentence, if you are a male and think you are transgender the state will pay for the sex change. Because the Koran makes it clear an eunuch counts as female. In America being trans is worse than being Gay.

So essentially being Gay from an American point of view is neutral and being trans is evil, in Iran being gay is evil but being trans is good.

This is a simple way of showing morality differences, but would you eat an insect? A dog? A cat? an ape? In many parts of the world they eat foods that we would get western people upset. Also in the Jewish and Muslim communities they see pork and bacon as evil.

Since I'm already a taboo, I eat bacon cheese burgers with deep fried shrimp. (possibly the most un-kosher thing possible.)

It's all in the point of view.

The Aztecs and othe meso-American tribes practiced human sacrifice every other week. In some cases it was a great honor to have your heart ripped from your chest.

Evil is all a point of view.

I will end on a quote.

Mok: "Evil spelled backward is "live," and we all want to live, don't we?"
    rock and rule 1983

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Neutral good or chaotic good I would say. Hard to tell at times when people you want to help don't understand the reason why, but help them anyway regardless of consequences. So I guess chaotic good..?

According to that poll, I'm about as lawful good as you can get.

Lawful Good Human Fighter/Paladin (2nd/2nd Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 16
    Constitution- 14
    Intelligence- 19
    Wisdom- 19
    Charisma- 14

Alignment:
    Lawful Good- A lawful good character acts as a good person is expected or required to act. He combines a commitment to oppose evil with the discipline to fight relentlessly. He tells the truth, keeps his word, helps those in need, and speaks out against injustice. A lawful good character hates to see the guilty go unpunished. Lawful good is the best alignment you can be because it combines honor and compassion. However, lawful good can be a dangerous alignment when it restricts freedom and criminalizes self-interest.

Race:
    Humans are the most adaptable of the common races. Short generations and a penchant for migration and conquest have made them physically diverse as well. Humans are often unorthodox in their dress, sporting unusual hairstyles, fanciful clothes, tattoos, and the like.

Primary Class:
    Fighters- Fighters can be many things, from soldiers to criminal enforcers. Some see adventure as a way to get rich, while others use their skills to protect the innocent. Fighters have the best all-around fighting capabilities of the PC classes, and they are trained to use all standard weapons and armor. A fighter's rigorous martial training grants him many bonus feats as he progresses, and high-level fighters have access to special melee maneuvers and exotic weapons not available to any other character.

Secondary Class:
    Paladins- Paladins take their adventures seriously, and even a mundane mission is, in the heart of the paladin, a personal test an opportunity to demonstrate bravery, to learn tactics, and to find ways to do good. Divine power protects these warriors of virtue, warding off harm, protecting from disease, healing, and guarding against fear. The paladin can also direct this power to help others, healing wounds or curing diseases, and also use it to destroy evil. Experienced paladins can smite evil foes and turn away undead. A paladin's Wisdom score should be high, as this determines the maximum spell level that they can cast. Many of the paladin's special abilities also benefit from a high Charisma score.

Alignment:
    Lawful Good ----- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (30)
    Neutral Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (29)
    Chaotic Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (23)
    Lawful Neutral -- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (23)
    True Neutral ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (22)
    Chaotic Neutral - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (16)
    Lawful Evil ----- XXXXXXXXXXXX (12)
    Neutral Evil ---- XXXXXXXXXXX (11)
    Chaotic Evil ---- XXXXX (5)

Law & Chaos:
    Law ----- XXXXXXXXXXXX (12)
    Chaos --- XXXXX (5)

Good & Evil:
    Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (18)
    Evil ---- (0)

Race:
    Human ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (14)
    Dwarf ---- XXXXXXXXXX (10)
    Elf ------ XXXXXXXX (8)
    Gnome ---- XXXXXX (6)
    Halfling - XXXXXXXX (8)
    Half-Elf - XXXXXXXXXXXX (12)
    Half-Orc - (0)

Class:
    Barbarian - (-29)
    Bard ------ (-21)
    Cleric ---- (-6)
    Druid ----- (-15)
    Fighter --- XXXX (4)
    Monk ------ XXXX (4)
    Paladin --- XXXX (4)
    Ranger ---- (0)
    Rogue ----- (-6)
    Sorcerer -- XX (2)
    Wizard ---- (0)
    Last edited by MAGAmobile; 2012-11-26 at 05:33 AM.

Deleted
    Ingame: Chaotic good mostly.
    IRL: Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    In a nutshell, yeah.
    Ok, well what you deemed as "bad habits" is what i see as something that i'm willing to do if i feel its neccessary.

is it possible to be multiple at different times O-O

i think this quote from being human (uk) sums me up pretty well "what do you stay alive for an endless scurrying from bad to good to bad again must be exhausting"
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by bbman2000 View Post
    Ok, well what you deemed as "bad habits" is what i see as something that i'm willing to do if i feel its neccessary.
    Well, by bad habits, I really meant evil acts. And the things listed are, by the D&D definition, evil. That goes along with what I said earlier about how good people sometimes do bad things though, like the earlier example of the Lawful Neutral Dwarf stealing gems out of greed.

---------- Post added 2012-11-28 at 02:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    is it possible to be multiple at different times O-O

i think this quote from being human (uk) sums me up pretty well "what do you stay alive for an endless scurrying from bad to good to bad again must be exhausting"
    It is possible to switch. Though as I explained before, it's also possible to act against your alignment in smaller ways without having a shift. Tordek stealing the gems does not negate the fact that he saved the town from bandits yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Well, by bad habits, I really meant evil acts. And the things listed are, by the D&D definition, evil. That goes along with what I said earlier about how good people sometimes do bad things though, like the earlier example of the Lawful Neutral Dwarf stealing gems out of greed.

They are not "evil" acts to me and i have no regrets about committing them.
    The only regret i have is being caught with the whole camera selling situation, after i did everything in my power to masterfully hide that i sold my camera because i didn't use it anymore and i needed money to feed my appetite.

---------- Post added 2012-11-28 at 02:02 AM ----------

It is possible to switch. Though as I explained before, it's also possible to act against your alignment in smaller ways without having a shift. Tordek stealing the gems does not negate the fact that he saved the town from bandits yesterday.
    What would "smaller ways" entail exactly?

What if the individual that acted out against their alignment feels no remorse for doing it at all? and would contradict the alignment over and over? i have so many questions about this whole concept of someone being Neutral Good and being able to do acts that completely contradict it, what about that whole alignment Ten Commandments type thing and the sins of the alignment type thing?

Chaotic neutral, I think. Especially when good and evil are subjective to me...?
    Last edited by Syio; 2012-11-28 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbman2000 View Post
    What would "smaller ways" entail exactly?

What if the individual that acted out against their alignment feels no remorse for doing it at all? and would contradict the alignment over and over? i have so many questions about this whole concept of someone being Neutral Good and being able to do acts that completely contradict it, what about that whole alignment Ten Commandments type thing and the sins of the alignment type thing?
    Sins and the Ten Commandments do not exist in D&D.

Repeated acts against one's alignment can cause an alignment shift. That being said, it's on a case by case basis, there's no hard and fast rule. Generally, lesser "offenses" don't outweigh more major actions. To use another example, telling a beggar that he's a piece of shit and should go die, while an evil act, is not as significant as a major act of good, like saving the mortal realm from a demon invasion.

I say there's no true hard and fast rule though because at the end of the day, D&D as a game assumes that a real person is the Dungeon Master. In D&D games, the DM serves as both the narrator and a mediator. If the DM decides that that Lawful Good Paladin has told people to fuck themselves one too many times, then that's that. Some DMs choose to disregard little things like that, while others are more strict. Because the DM, as the narrator of the story, is essentially God. Alignments are more like loose guidelines for the DM, and examples of how to roleplay for players.

It gets even more complicated when you realize each alignment corresponds to one or more god. Theoretically, it's actually possible to kill Good or Evil in D&D. Doing so would warp reality so that those concepts never existed at all. The same goes for Law and Chaos. If one were to kill Evil for example, no being in the cosmos except for other gods would even remember that that's a thing. Mortal beings such as Humans would be no more capable of doing evil than you are of sprouting a third arm from your forehead and shooting lightning out of it. Generally though, if such a thing were to happen, another god would take up the role of the dead alignment, even if it goes against their own personal beliefs. Because it just throws the universe completely out of whack if one or more of them no longer exists.

And other concepts come from the gods as well, not just alignments. These are called portfolios, and there are a shitload of them. Death for example is a portfolio. No god of death, nothing can die. No god of water, no water, moisture, or liquid can exists anywhere, which pretty much means instant death for 99.99% of everything everywhere.

Somewhere between chaotic neutral and chaotic good. More on the 'good' side in games or in dreams.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

beleive it or not most people think there good..but there actually choatic neutral. and no one is chaotic good. the true chaotic good means by any means your gonna do whats right even if it means ur doing wrong. my favorite is chaotic evil..its actually imo more good than good.
    my friend code...

5241-1925-7760 name toasty

up for battles ...after 10/18/2013

Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Good or Neutral Good. I'm not sure which.
    Last edited by TheShinyOne; 2012-11-28 at 10:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukari View Post
    Equality is a universal concept, you either care about it for everyone, or you don't care about it. It can't be compartmentalized, you can't champion equality for solely one group, that's inimical to the whole idea of equality.
    To make room for the cupcake!

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Neutral Good is the closest to me, I feel.
    I tend to be guided more by my own morality and conscience than fear or respect for law. Although my morals tend to be in line with the law, most of the time.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP