Poll: New Earth Discovered - Would you go?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would want to go... Leaving all of our civilization, all of our technological advancements and culture behind. It's like denying the past 5000 years of human history. People used to send prisoners to remote islands in the past. Doing so voluntary is... stupid.
    Obviously we would bring some stuff (survival equipment, rations, hunting weapons, things to properly sanitize water and to cook meat with) with us. You wouldn't expect us to go with the clothes on your backs now would you? As for it being stupid, well that's your opinion, some people would like nothing more than to explore another planet.
    "When I was 5 years old, my mother told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, I told them they didn't understand life." - John Lennon

I've seen these movies. It never ends well.

Of course, I might support going to a DC Comics Earth 2.

Well, I'd question why they called it Earth II, so damn unimaginative. However, of course I'd go! I LOVE adventures!

all these scenarios always end badly from what i learned from watching movies and TV, but i dont think anyone here would survive in a new planet, hell most people on this site wont survive a week out in the wild on this planet. also count me in if this new planet have sexy locals that i can mate with, i mean isnt that all space explorers dream, to make it with hot alien chicks?

Deleted
    No, we are destroying this planet, that's enough.

Deleted
    While it's sad to leave people behind and loose contact etc, I'm too selfish and if an opportunity like this strikes I'd never ever ever turn it down. I'd probably even do it just for the chance of flying in space to mars on a one-way ticket I'd die on cause I'm that stupid. I'm obsessed by space

If we can get there in 5 years we don't need to go there because energy is no longer a concern.

For reference sake Proxima Centauri is 4.2 light years away.

The closest a earth2 could be would be 25 light years +.

Not meaning to nitpick, but the 5 years thing is unrealistic.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a heartbeat, no questions asked. Even if I have to perform a task I hate like manual labor for the rest of my life, it is worth it in my opinion. To be honest once I arrived I would probably run away from the group if they plan some form of democratic/republic government. Living in an untouched forest would be awesome, albeit probably mind-numbingly boring at times.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

500 Is not a viable gene pool...

But other than that I would go in heart beat

The planet i talked about was "KOI-494.01" (typo last time) and i found this theory about a possible way to get to the planet in a human lifetime: "http://ftlfactor.com/2012/04/07/how-to-reach-koi-494-01-within-your-lifetime/". Warning the theory is brain hurting and you "kinda need" to know alot of physics to even be able to understand it.

15+ Year Old Account
    No i wouldn't, Wildlife would be agressive, might be new illnesses that no one knows how to cure etc etc.

I enjoy my life, i wouldn't want to go there.

I'd sell my ticket for a lot of money and i'd be set!

I'd go to be honest. Got nothing really going on for me here, so why not?

10+ Year Old Account
    No.. People gonna fight each other for resource and territory !