Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Never heard of anything like this tbh, my best buddy got a son in April and he and his gf are incredibly happy, seeing them, I almost, just almost wish me and my gf had a kid of our own :P

Not that time yet though!

Anyways my cousin got 2 boys as well, I've never heard her complain about anything like this, another cousin got 1 boy and I've never heard her talk about things like this either.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-07-01 at 02:29 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    What!? What kind of asshole says these things.

Slap them. Both genders of little kids are awesome. My family has 2 girls and 1 boy.

Myself and My brother were shy, quiet kids. My sister; a raging loud child. I'm way more similar to my brother than my sister. And that's factoring out even my interests and hobbies, we're just so similar personality wise.

But yeah like some have said on the flip-side, in Eastern Asia, Boys are championed as the superior gender to have born. But I hadn't noticed a trend of GIRLS being championed here in the West. That's... loopy. We're fighting for equality not ...that. People like that need clubbing, preferably with an iron pipe.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Deleted
    I've told my partner in the strongest possible terms that she is to produce boys, three of them, and under no circumstances is she to bear a female.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    This is what is called confirmation bias. People completely ignore all the cases that prove their belief is false and zero in on the one or two cases that support their preconceived notion. Oh look one person had someone tell them they should have a girl, clearly boys have less opportunities than girls. XD
    I think it is more a case of being a bit sensitive about the subject being brought up, when you're on "the wrong side of what is assumed to be ideal".

I mean, the first thing you want to hear after you tell people you are expecting a boy, isn't exactly "You're going keep trying until you get the girl I hope?". That's gonna sting. I think it stings enough just knowing people will assume that if we go for a third child, it's to try get a girl. I am not entirely sure what I am feeling even, am I offended or am I just feeling irritation over people's stupidity? I don't goa round feeling this every day, but when examples of this are brought up, like my friend on Facebook yesterday did, my mind starts boiling.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post
    I think it is more a case of being a bit sensitive about the subject being brought up, when you're on "the wrong side of what is assumed to be ideal".

I mean, the first thing you want to hear after you tell people you are expecting a boy, isn't exactly "You're going keep trying until you get the girl I hope?". That's gonna sting. I think it stings enough just knowing people will assume that if we go for a third child, it's to try get a girl. I am not entirely sure what I am feeling even, am I offended or am I just feeling irritation over people's stupidity? I don't goa round feeling this every day, but when examples of this are brought up, like my friend on Facebook yesterday did, my mind starts boiling.
    Don't take stupid comments to heart. I mean you visit MMO-Champion daily, you should be immune to such idiotic nonsense. There will always be stupid people making stupid comments. Just ignore them.

And no, anyone with half a set of brain cells will not think you are having a third child for the purposes of having a girl. Who the hell would spend thousands upon thousands of dollars and 18 years of their life raising a child for the ability to say "We have a girl!"?

Please ignore such comments and surround yourself with more intelligent people.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    As far as I know boys are more desired in most of the developing world because they are breadwinners and girl children are even killed. While boy children are usually more desired in the developed world too because the father usually wants a boy and the wife usually wants to please the father. Plus boys are less of a hassle to raise.

"If you have a son then you only need to worry about 1 penis, if you have a daughter then you have to worry about them all."

What you're saying comes as news to me.
    WTF are you talking about? In any developed and civilized nation, no daughter is rejected by the family, that kind of shit happens in places like China and the Arab world because men there are chauvinistic pigs and they think that women only have one purpose and that's for breeding. What's going to happen to China in another 100 years when they continue this trend of rejecting girls and sending them off to other countries while keeping the boys? They are all going to wither out and die because they won't have anyone from their home land to have children with because their overpopulation is so screwed up and their rules for having children are completely fucked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    WTF are you talking about? In any developed and civilized nation, no daughter is rejected by the family, that kind of shit happens in places like China and the Arab world because men there are chauvinistic pigs and they think that women only have one purpose and that's for breeding. What's going to happen to China in another 100 years when they continue this trend of rejecting girls and sending them off to other countries while keeping the boys? They are all going to wither out and die because they won't have anyone from their home land to have children with because their overpopulation is so screwed up and their rules for having children are completely fucked.
    Calm yo' tits. I was merely stating what happens across the globe, not my personal opinion.

I think boys and girls are of equal value. Though I hate kids, whether boy or girl so....

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    I've told my partner in the strongest possible terms that she is to produce boys, three of them, and under no circumstances is she to bear a female.
    I Have done the same but If mine produces girls I will raise them with mullets!

---------- Post added 2012-07-01 at 03:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by damntree View Post
    Why would girls vanish?
    You mean Vagin-ish, lol
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

I just read a book about sex-selective abortion ("Unnatural Selection: Choosing Boys Over Girls and the Consequences of a World Full of Men") outlining the history of the phenomenon in Asia of aborting female children and how it was changing the culture and society. The epilogue, however, was concerned with the United States (and could presumably be extrapolated to other developed countries) where the preference was for girls. Sex-selection in the US is less abortion-centric, though, preferring to achieve a female child through a variety of other means. What it boils down to (in the US) is that when parents choose, they tend to choose female.

Deleted
    Look at me I'm a white male, me so oppressed? No just no.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin View Post
    dont worry, in a million of years only boys gonna exist, genetics show that girls gonna vanish and then - then, can you imagine this wonderful world ?
    Umm.... what?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PatchworkBBC View Post
    The epilogue, however, was concerned with the United States (and could presumably be extrapolated to other developed countries) where the preference was for girls. Sex-selection in the US is less abortion-centric, though, preferring to achieve a female child through a variety of other means. What it boils down to (in the US) is that when parents choose, they tend to choose female.
    Here we go yes. That's the trend that seems to be going on in Norway too, about a preference for girls.

Deleted
    While this is going on, a company that is used for several, if not all, official statistics regarding the norwegian population, has done a graph of the chance you'll have a third child if the two first are boys. The chance show an increase if your two first are both boys. The fact that people has noticed this even, could further be feeding the attitude that everyone should give birth to atleast one girl for all I know.

To be quite honest, I really hate the idea that it's going to be automaticly assumed, and added to the statistics, that if I decide to have a third child, it will be because my two first ones are both boys. Especially concidering the fact that a possible third child have been under evaluation long before my first one was even born.
    What the statistics are really saying is that once they've had two boys they're like "Woah, these are awesome, I'm gonna have more", but when they get girls they're like "What is this shit, never again.".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kuukl1 View Post
    What the statistics are really saying is that once they've had two boys they're like "Woah, these are awesome, I'm gonna have more", but when they get girls they're like "What is this shit, never again.".
    Haha, that's another way of looking at it!

A friend posted a link on Facebook yesterday, called "10 things you don't say to a mother of boys", with the comment "Having just 1 boy, I already see the tendency" attached. The reason she posted this, is that her family seems disappointed her firstborn was a boy. Her brother also have boys. Two of them, and no girls. They have both been tossed comments like "You're gonna keep trying until you get the girl I hope?", and "Aww, what shame the second one is a boy too. Better luck next time" from their own family.
    I think the link you skipped was more the "mother" part than anything else. To the mother of boys they ask if you're hoping for a girl. To the fathers they'd be "oh, well maybe you'll get a boy next time" if it was all girls.

My two cents, we don't choose the gender of the children we have, and I believe we get what we are suited to caring for. Before my daughter was born I always thought I wanted a boy because I've always been a little on the tomboyish side and was worried I wouldn't know how to raise a proper feminine young lady. Well my daughter is going to be seven in a couple weeks and she's the most feminine, girly little thing you've ever met.

Who cares what statistics say? YOU know you love your children, and they know you love them. THAT is what matters. Statistics are just numbers and numbers change anyhow. In the past for most cultures it was more desirable to have a male child.

No, I've never heard of any strong preference for girl children driving people to breed for them and/or look down on parents of boys. Looking at the parents around here I know (and let me tell you, these people breed like freakin rabbits), there are just as many parents of multiple kids with a daughter as their oldest as there are with sons as their oldest. In fact, just comparing some of my daughter's friends, almost all of them have daughters as their oldest. My husband's sister has three kids and her oldest two are both girls. And I realize you're talking about today and not older generations, but I am the oldest of two children in my family and my husband's sister is their middle child so there's a couple more examples where a girl was born yet more children were still desired. In many cases, people do keep trying until they get the gender they don't have, regardless of which one it is but it's not usually because they feel they failed by getting what they got the first time.

dont worry, in a million of years only boys gonna exist, genetics show that girls gonna vanish and then - then, can you imagine this wonderful world ?
    I believe I read just the opposite.

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/ne...6-e3f3e3bab234

Deleted
    What? Give me proof of this xD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I believe I read just the opposite.

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/ne...6-e3f3e3bab234
    That and I could have swore I heard something about the Y chromosome shrinking (and it's already pretty damn small)

Deleted
    Just a cultural thing, in some places of the world babies get thrown in rivers for being born female.