Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    As far as I know boys are more desired in most of the developing world because they are breadwinners and girl children are even killed. While boy children are usually more desired in the developed world too because the father usually wants a boy and the wife usually wants to please the father. Plus boys are less of a hassle to raise.

"If you have a son then you only need to worry about 1 penis, if you have a daughter then you have to worry about them all."

What you're saying comes as news to me.
    While this may be true, a girl can only get pregnant once at a time while a boy can do multiples.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I know boys are more desired in most of the developing world because they are breadwinners and girl children are even killed. While boy children are usually more desired in the developed world too because the father usually wants a boy and the wife usually wants to please the father. Plus boys are less of a hassle to raise.

"If you have a son then you only need to worry about 1 penis, if you have a daughter then you have to worry about them all."

What if your boy is gay?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Calm yo' tits. I was merely stating what happens across the globe, not my personal opinion.

I think boys and girls are of equal value. Though I hate kids, whether boy or girl so....
    It doesn't happen across the globe, places like China and the Middle East are uncivilized countries, no country in Europe or North America does such things to females.

Why have kids in the first place if you're not going to love them. Should not matter if its a boy or a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    That and I could have swore I heard something about the Y chromosome shrinking (and it's already pretty damn small)
    The Y chromosome has already disappeared from some species; it's not really anything to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    WTF are you talking about? In any developed and civilized nation, no daughter is rejected by the family, that kind of shit happens in places like China and the Arab world because men there are chauvinistic pigs and they think that women only have one purpose and that's for breeding. What's going to happen to China in another 100 years when they continue this trend of rejecting girls and sending them off to other countries while keeping the boys? They are all going to wither out and die because they won't have anyone from their home land to have children with because their overpopulation is so screwed up and their rules for having children are completely fucked.
    Nothing to do with men being chavinistic pigs. Its simply the environment. Girls are not useful if you are poor and your country is not industrialized. A girl can not do manual labor in the field with little or no techonological equipment. In a techonological society, both can do anything they want. In a poor country gov't can not provide the social care people need during their end of life. A girl once married will be going to her husband's family or make her own family. A man will be staying will the family. so, a man provides more advantage in that case.

The China has only one rule: that is only one child per family. It was needed to control the population growth. The preference for boys came from the things i described above. Rich families are keeping their girls

---------- Post added 2012-07-01 at 06:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    Okay guys/girls I didn't really think that this issue was still widespread in some countries considering how "advanced" we are.
    The advancement is not spread evenly. Some countries are at their peaks with techonology, while others are still using beasts of burden.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It doesn't happen across the globe, places like China and the Middle East are uncivilized countries, no country in Europe or North America does such things to females.
    Well the U.S. ranks 11th in the world. Also, most infanticide in China these days is through abortion after obtaining an ultra-sound. What's the problem with that? India just needs less restrictions on abortions and then we can all feel better because it died in the womb.

Quote Originally Posted by dragoncore View Post
    While this may be true, a girl can only get pregnant once at a time while a boy can do multiples.
    Yes but consider this scenario.

Your son gets a girl pregnant. You throw him out on his ass to be a man and take care of the kid.

Not exactly the nicest parents, but not the worst ever right? Some kids really need a kick in the ass when they cock up their lives as bad as that. Now consider this one.

Your daughter gets pregnant. You throw her out on her ass to grow up and take care of the kid.

Holy shit you're suddenly the worst parents ever. How could you be so goddamn heartless?!

Boys = less of a hassle

If you have 2 girls, you will probably want the 3rd one to be a boy.
    End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I believe I read just the opposite.

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/ne...6-e3f3e3bab234
    Something like this doesn't really surprise me.

1) Men are less essential to the survival of the species than women. We could probably do just fine with a 1:8 ratio of men:women (Biologically speaking. Politically and economically it'd be a fucking disasterfest of tyranny of the majority)

2) We, as a whole, are pretty self destructive. I read somewhere that a species' response to adverse conditions (Such as an ice age or chemically treated foods) is to kill off more males to preserve resources for the females. Would certainly explain why young boys are considered more fragile than girls.

Kinda makes sense in a perverse way considering that all we stuff into our bodies day in and day out is chemicals. Mom drinks too much artificial sweetener (Or whatever chemical we don't know is harmful to kids)? Bam, that's a dead baby boy.

I don't really see how the op's post is an example of boys being second class citizens, it's more like the family already has little boys so they want little girls...My grandma wanted a little girl, because she had 7 sons, however it's not like she didn't love them. My family right now wanted a boy in our latest pregnancy, because all the kids are girls, but they had another girl...and she is spoiled rotten. I don't see the big deal, just wanted to play with one of each is all, most families in modern countries don't actually care in the long run.

The example of one woman having just girls saying she feels sorry for people with just all boys doesn't mean squat...usually families with just one sex say the opposite is harder, however the vast majority of people with no kids, with one or both say girls are harder...the stereotype that girls are harder to raise is far more ingrained in peoples brains than raising boys being hard.

well the example comments in the OP are all directed at *mothers* of *boys*. that is a very significant detail. had any *fathers* of *daughters* been included, they would have seen the same comments but in favour of boys. everybody just assumes that women want girls and men want boys and if they don't get it, they must be disappointed. i know my uncle who has only four daughters, and my cousin who has only two daughters, get comments from tactless people on occasion to the effect that they must wish they had a boy. i don't personally know any women who had only boys, but i don't doubt that they get the "you must wish you had a girl" comment all the time as well.

Unless your son is gay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeina View Post
    Unless your son is gay.
    Not really, the most worrisome thing about having a daughter is that there is a possibility of her getting pregnant and the guy that caused it running away while in the case of being gay (as far as I know) there is no way that he can get pregnant by having sex with other guys.

Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    Not really, the most worrisome thing about having a daughter is that there is a possibility of her getting pregnant and the guy that caused it running away while in the case of being gay (as far as I know) there is no way that he can get pregnant by having sex with other guys.
    I think it's suppose to be a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like one of each.

This just comes from parents wanting to have the richness of experience in raising both genders. Nothing biased there.

Though I swear some men have this superiority complex that make them feel oppressed if they aren't outright being favored. :P

"Oh noes! People don't always don't always want boys! Don't they know women are inferior!? Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!" *rolleyesleftrolleyesright*

Being "second class citizens" happens when society targets your gender specifically for abortions, pays you less wages for the same work, denies you the right to vote or own property, says you aren't smart enough to make responsible decisions about your own body with your doctor, and treats you like property. A stray couple here or there that think it would be fun to raise girls and buy them cute little pink things and watch My Little Pony with them is in no way a systematic form of oppression to the male gender.

Besides, I can attest from experience that it is just as fun to raise a boy dress him in camo and watch My Little Pony with him.
    Last edited by Tarryn; 2012-07-02 at 12:10 PM. Reason: insert Earth logic with a dash of reality

10+ Year Old Account

That's funny. In most of the developing countries I've been to, the women work significantly harder than the men.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarryn View Post
    This just comes from parents wanting to have the richness of experience in raising both genders. Nothing biased there.

Though I swear some men have this superiority complex that make them feel oppressed if they aren't outright being favored. :P

"Oh noes! People don't always don't always want boys! Don't they know women are inferior!? Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!" *rolleyesleftrolleyesright*

Being "second class citizens" happens when society targets your gender specifically for abortions, pays you less wages for the same work, denies you the right to vote or own property, says you aren't smart enough to make responsible decisions about your own body with your doctor, and treats you like property. A stray couple here or there that think it would be fun to raise girls and buy them cute little pink things and watch My Little Pony with them is in no way a systematic form of oppression to the male gender.

Besides, I can attest from experience that it is just as fun to raise a boy dress him in camo and watch My Little Pony with him.

Finally somebody speaking logically. In most western societies females are still second class citizens - in the developing world they exclusively are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwaarg View Post
    Finally somebody speaking logically. In most western societies females are still second class citizens - in the developing world they exclusively are.
    Women are not second class citizens in most western countries. North of the equator I can't think of a single one.