File Deletion problem Access is denied.

Okay so i have a spare harddrive that i just store files on. There used to be an operating system on it, but the only files left on it are Program Files, Windows and Users. The Operating system on it does no longer work so they are just dead files. But i can not delete them. I just get...

"Access is denied. Make sure the disk id not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use"

I have tired deleting the files in safe mode and with Move on boot program but had no luck. I can not re format the drive because i have no where to store my files while i do. (too large)

Any ideas?

tat

Try dos shell?

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    Try dos shell?
    I have no idea how this works, is there anything i can do without going into dos?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't you just format it?

Have you tried going to the file properties and removing any ticks from read/write protection tick-boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Have you tried going to the file properties and removing any ticks from read/write protection tick-boxes?
    Yes, they just keep getting checked back on and unable to delete.

Why don't you just format it?
    I have files there that are too large to temp store somewhere else while i re-format the harddrive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suggest you find an alternative, if you have to borrow some hardware from your relatives or neighbours.

At least, that is what i would do..

Deleted
    Have you disabled your anti virus programme? Sometimes realtime scans and guards from programmes like Avira can deny commands.

Deleted
    or you could download some live linux distro and use that to delete these files

Make sure your computer recognizes you as the owner of the drive. Go to Properties, Security, make sure your specific user has Full Control.

Alternately, you can use a Take Ownership program like below:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/

I had similar problems with a hard drive from an old computer, but these solutions ended up working.