Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Front desk at a hotel, night shift. I have 4 friends who all did that, and they got to spend a lot of time playing videogames on their laptops

Quote Originally Posted by Sythan View Post
    Sadly most of the people on my country that have desk jobs spend half of their time online doing their personal stuff
    Is your country USA? What do these desk jobs consist of? Is there anything besides receptionist?

---------- Post added 2012-07-25 at 02:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    I worked in the post office of my bataillon during my military service.

I had to practically work around 1 hour a day.

5 min making coffee for the officer meeting in the morning.
    25 min going to fetch the mail for our bataillon from the main post office of our base twice a day and sorting it for the platoons.

The rest I spent reading or doing something on the computer (with no internet). Or I tried to sleep a bit.
    One time I got so bored, I created a 2 GB excel file by consecutively numbering all cells on several tables.

What was your job title in the military? Which branch?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by freeti View Post
    Is your country USA? What do these desk jobs consist of? Is there anything besides receptionist?

---------- Post added 2012-07-25 at 02:40 AM ----------

What was your job title in the military? Which branch?
    Forget the Military, it is not for you.

My friend works in a home for problematic youngsters. He has to basically babysit them (and review their progression, reeducate them etc.).

This home is like an actual home so he can watch TV, play sports with them and so on.
    And pretty often he actually has night shift which means arriving at 10 oclock and going to bed. And in the morning he is off duty again. So unless those youngsters wake up and do something he can just sleep through his complete shift.

And he gets paid really, really well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do payroll/HR and I have a good amount of downtime (I'm at work now lol). Watch movies, play on my Macbook, read books, etc. My coworkers are annoying and crusty, but the job is comfy

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Join the military in an Admin position, lazy buggers.
    Goto a NAVY recruiting office and tell them you want to be a Yeoman. Talk about lazy mother f'rs. Either that or guard duty at night. Talk about burning time.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Goto a NAVY recruiting office and tell them you want to be a Yeoman. Talk about lazy mother f'rs. Either that or guard duty at night. Talk about burning time.
    Is that for US Navy?

---------- Post added 2012-07-27 at 04:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bavol View Post
    I do payroll/HR and I have a good amount of downtime (I'm at work now lol). Watch movies, play on my Macbook, read books, etc. My coworkers are annoying and crusty, but the job is comfy

What is the job title? How do you get a job like that?

---------- Post added 2012-07-27 at 04:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    My friend works in a home for problematic youngsters. He has to basically babysit them (and review their progression, reeducate them etc.).

This home is like an actual home so he can watch TV, play sports with them and so on.
    And pretty often he actually has night shift which means arriving at 10 oclock and going to bed. And in the morning he is off duty again. So unless those youngsters wake up and do something he can just sleep through his complete shift.

And he gets paid really, really well.
    What is the job title? Do you need some kind of college degree?

can i bump this

Infracted: Please do not bump threads
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-07-30 at 12:53 AM.

What is the job title? Do you need some kind of college degree?
    Sounds like some sort of social worker, a social worker don't get paid really, really well though. ;P
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirse View Post
    Front desk at a hotel, night shift. I have 4 friends who all did that, and they got to spend a lot of time playing videogames on their laptops
    Is it possible to have the lights dim if you have sensitive eyes for this job?

Were you in the American military? Or what country?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    I worked in the post office of my bataillon during my military service.

I had to practically work around 1 hour a day.

5 min making coffee for the officer meeting in the morning.
    25 min going to fetch the mail for our bataillon from the main post office of our base twice a day and sorting it for the platoons.

The rest I spent reading or doing something on the computer (with no internet). Or I tried to sleep a bit.
    One time I got so bored, I created a 2 GB excel file by consecutively numbering all cells on several tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    Night shift at an assisted living home . Literally getting paid to do NOTHING !
    Did you have this job?

10+ Year Old Account
    Night auditor at a hotel. I currently hold this job. It is a lot like a front desk agent with some managerial and accounting duties sprinkled in during the graveyard (3rd) shift often between either 10p or 11p to 6a or 7a.

It can be a very easy or very stressful job based on time of year and network uptime.

It is also a wonderful vector into hospitality management if you are interested, which I happen to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Most decent jobs have some downtime. I work in a research lab, and there's quite a bit of time to kill during incubations, between experiments, etc.
    You're breeding Xenomorphs aren't you? How many more have to die before the Federation realizes they are too dangerous to be controlled?! Your work will unmake us all!

Oops. Didn't realize this was a necroed thread.

Night auditor at a hotel. Hands down. Lots of free time, and you can play wow, or study.

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    Night auditor at a hotel. Hands down. Lots of free time, and you can play wow, or study.
    Have you been one in the US?

I am currently working a state job, it's 3rd shift. I literally get paid $15 an hour to sit on my ass and play wow. It is a recovery center for people with mental illnesses, but they are always asleep. I get to bring my laptop in and play wow until 6:30 in the morning, then I have to put it away because people start to wake up. But hey! it's the easiest job I have ever had or will ever have again. I'm only 19 as well, so it's a really good start.

I would suggest a state job like mine to anyone looking for A TON of downtime.

I do research in a lab. It's tedious hours, and if I wasn't like part time/doing it as a student then it'd be pretty ehhh, but there is a lot of time where I'm waiting for something in the oven or letting something sit and air cool that I just leave the lab and go to the library.

Overnight front desk aka night auditor at a hotel.

I work an 8 hour shift, and of that, I spend 3 hours working, and that's on a really busy night. Most of them are more like 2 hours of work, and I even use THAT term loosely, a lot of my "work" consists of pressing a series of buttons to bring a report up on screen, then printing that report out and putting it in a box. After all the reports are printed out, we put them in a big envelope then put it in a box. Other than that, my work consists of making coffee(between 12-1 am and then at 5 am) and putting out a water jug of lemon water, restocking the market(our hotel has a little snack area, ie, we have one of those glass doored soda racks like they have in gas stations and a small candy/chip section), answering phone(usually to either transfer someone to reservations or to put in a wake-up call) and delivering check-out slips.

We have a PC with high speed net access in the back, a refrigerator and microwave so I can bring food or drink(as well as having access to the kitchen area if I wanna say, fry some bacon or cook something in the oven), and a big screen cable TV in the lobby area. As I am considered the manager on duty during the night, I'm allowed to not only use the kitchen but am also entitled to a meal at no cost if I wanna fix something we have there instead of bringing my own food(or ordering a pizza, as I sometimes do)

When I was hired I was told that as long as I took care of any customers and did all the stuff on the night checklist they didn't care how I spent the rest of the time. I was actually specifically told I could use the PC in the back, could bring a laptop and play games or watch DVDs, could watch the big screen cable TV in the lobby area, could read or do homework, or whatever else I wanted as long as long as I stayed awake, stayed on the property, didn't drink alcohol, and didn't break the law. And I make $10 an hour doing it...a friend of mine who works at a higher end hotel doing the same thing makes $12 an hour.

chairman of the board