Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    The basic rule for whether Fork works or not is: does the projectile actually get stopped by the mob that it hits? If the projectile only hits the mob, Fork happens, if the projectile goes through Fork does not work.

Freezing Pulse always travels its full distance even when it hits and damages mobs on the way so Fork never works on it. Compare that to, say, Poison Arrow which is stopped by the first mob that it hits (even if the aoe might actually damage multiple mobs). If you use items that give you a pierce chance and your Poison Arrow happens to pierce, Fork doesn't work on it.

Of course it's a question of semantics whether you call it an impact when a projectile just passes through an object without stopping but, well, this is how it seems to work on the game mechanics. Would be better if they had some wording about it on the Fork gem or somewhere as the global chat keeps getting people disappointed that Fork isn't working with their Freezing Pulse.
    It sure would be nice if they had a wording on what Fork is (Would have saved me time from going in here and ask, tho discussion is also nice )

It seems people are getting end game and getting insane gear too fast. I mean the game has been out for less than a month(?) and people are already geared out near end game. There is so much time before the next Act comes out, don't you guys think even casuals will reach end game, get good gear, and eventually get bored (unless you wanna get that +1 damage for hours of farming) even before the next Act comes out?
    No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. – Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    It seems people are getting end game and getting insane gear too fast. I mean the game has been out for less than a month(?) and people are already geared out near end game. There is so much time before the next Act comes out, don't you guys think even casuals will reach end game, get good gear, and eventually get bored (unless you wanna get that +1 damage for hours of farming) even before the next Act comes out?
    Well those who are playing end game at lvl 75-90 now dont have much life outside gaming, since they are playing 15 hours a day. the majority of the ppl playing is still around cruel and lvl 40-50

I don't think you know the dedication we put ourselves in =)

I'm not at all worried. This is what worked for D2: it was really easy to get geared but it took forever to perfect your gear set (your Call to Arms could roll anything from 1-6 to BO and the version with one was dirt cheap, the one with 6 damn expensive and so on) and most people who stayed in the game either did just that or kept rerolling new toons since there were tons and tons of builds to play. The people behind Path of Exile seem to get it with the gear system (which they're still tweaking), first you get that base item, then you can spend orbs rerolling the numbers, sockets, colours... it will be relatively easy to get 3 links of the right colours which gives you a working skill but perfecting it will be a very time consuming grind if you feel like doing it and it doesn't just add +1 damage, it gives you new, interesting combinations.

And then of course I only play hardcore which means no item lasts forever anyway... it will eventually get boring though when we all have stashes full of great gear for whatever spec we roll next, hopefully they have something like ladder resets of D2 planned.

I am really looking forward to the next move of the game ... some custom/racing league action. Have lvl 46 hc templar using mace&shield and the damage I take is getting uncomfortable. Starting to gamble with my life. Need to get some better items. Also the 4% atk/cast speed bonus from bandits ... are those bonuses ever worth picking up ? They spell instant kill order in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Lost my HC Shadow tonight. :/

Decent build but I just couldn't get enough life nodes and life on gear to carry me through Cruel act 3. Got slammed in the Barracks by a huge pack of those lighting witches.
    RIP man ... without boosts to armor, sacre life nodes and no es I would be scared

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Hey guys, sorry for the probably stupid question but... is there going to be a character wipe before release?
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Hey guys, sorry for the probably stupid question but... is there going to be a character wipe before release?
    No...the game is open to everyone now so there is no need

---------- Post added 2013-02-15 at 08:44 AM ----------

Just tried out ice spear with fork and it dose indeed fork on it's second form(doesn't on the first form) unfortunately the forked projectile reverts back to it's first form.
    Anyone got a better understanding of how it works?
    Doses the second stage only appear after a certain distance? or can it go to the second stage after the first pierce regardless of distance?
    Regardless it makes a cracking support role gem if you like grouping blasting away from the back lines and slowing/freezing groups for melee to flatten.

And am i the only one that is getting much amusment from the official forums with 2 groups of people?
    First the ones that are overwriting their accounts by registering on the website and verifying the account through the email
    And second the growing bunch of numpties that are getting hacked
    Last edited by Lagwin; 2013-02-15 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    Just tried out ice spear with fork and it dose indeed fork on it's second form(doesn't on the first form) unfortunately the forked projectile reverts back to it's first form.
    Anyone got a better understanding of how it works?

Doses the second stage only appear after a certain distance? or can it go to the second stage after the first pierce regardless of distance?
    Regardless it makes a cracking support role gem if you like grouping blasting away from the back lines and slowing/freezing groups for melee to flatten.
    I'm assuming the first hit is a pierce hence any hit after that is counted as an actual hit for the fork support, what it sounds like you want to get a hold of lesser (or greater if your mana supports it) multiple projectiles though.

And am i the only one that is getting much amusment from the official forums with 2 groups of people?
    First the ones that are overwriting their accounts by registering on the website and verifying the account through the email
    And second the growing bunch of numpties that are getting hacked
    Only use those forums for trading, patch notes and the occasional mechanics explanation. The general sections of game forums is usually a bad idea to hang around reading if you wish to keep your sanity.
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    I'm assuming the first hit is a pierce hence any hit after that is counted as an actual hit for the fork support, what it sounds like you want to get a hold of lesser (or greater if your mana supports it) multiple projectiles though.
    Fork should work with LMP or GMP...another thing i need to try...can see a frost witch build with summon skele totem so i can hide in the back...maybe focus on increased crit damage since the second form has a 600% crit chance

And yeah the official forums are full of tards but still quite amusing at times...like someone raging about their char name getting changed from BigBlackCock and demanding it be changed back...having 2 threads closed about it and some sly bastard making a thread because he had taken the name in the time he was raging and trying to extort currency from him :P

sly bastard making a thread because he had taken the name in the time he was raging and trying to extort currency from him :P
    Heh, that's actually funny, props to him!

Damn this game is addictive...I think my performances at my job are dropping ^^
    Last edited by Waervyn; 2013-02-15 at 10:39 AM.

I really fell in love with Lightning Strike, so I'm changing the course of my Templar that originally was supposed to be built around Elemental Hit. I also picked up Tempest Shield and plan on using that, so mostly a lightning-melee-tank type of character.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s...MG51IZ19lfVEk=

My main concern is; I hate missing attacks, so I picked Resolute. But I'm losing out on some sweet crit-related passives. Is it worth it!? *pulls hair*
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Interesting. I've not messed with EK too much, how did that seem to play out for you? Well, apart from the dying part. Seems like it would be decent AoE, but I never thought the damage would be enough by itself, even with SkellTotem.
    EK is one the better scaling spells in the game. Damage is terrific at higher levels. Being a [u]physical spell[u] means EK scales with phys and spell mods/items.

Skeleton totem is only used as defense/escape mechanism.

The time devotion required to play a game like this is too much for me. I had to quit D3 cuz it made my eyes bleed.

Just started my first HC char, and I could use some general tips, and I have a couple specific questions too:

Should I do sidequests/areas? Is there a generally used "leveling route" i.e. this area until level x, then get to that area to level y etc.?

Any helpful tips are also appreciated, just don't tell me to subject myself to the public grouping :P
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    I don't think you're having so much a thought but rather complete mental diarrhea all over the internet and your keyboard and it's not pretty or even logical.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    My main concern is; I hate missing attacks, so I picked Resolute. But I'm losing out on some sweet crit-related passives. Is it worth it!? *pulls hair*
    Crit nodes are pretty bad unless you make a specific focus of collecting both crit chance and crit damage modifiers and doubly bad for strength melee builds since they'll also need to collect accuracy nodes or take RT (eliminating crit). They kind of have to make it that way since crit nodes synergize with themselves so stacking them would be overly good if individual nodes weren't balanced to be sucky.

If you want to be at all tanky taking RT is pretty much the only economic way to maintain good damage while picking up defense nodes. Besides that, crit gets dangerous at later levels with damage reflect mobs, so for hardcore players RT is also a survival benefit...

Whew been trading for like 4 hours or something dumb -.- It's a horrible time trying to get a couple of exalted for a Wake of destruction which will yield me 18k DPS :P

Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    Crit nodes are pretty bad unless you make a specific focus of collecting both crit chance and crit damage modifiers and doubly bad for strength melee builds since they'll also need to collect accuracy nodes or take RT (eliminating crit). They kind of have to make it that way since crit nodes synergize with themselves so stacking them would be overly good if individual nodes weren't balanced to be sucky.

If you want to be at all tanky taking RT is pretty much the only economic way to maintain good damage while picking up defense nodes. Besides that, crit gets dangerous at later levels with damage reflect mobs, so for hardcore players RT is also a survival benefit...
    Hmm, you're right (why didn't I think of that).
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Just started my first HC char, and I could use some general tips, and I have a couple specific questions too:

Should I do sidequests/areas? Is there a generally used "leveling route" i.e. this area until level x, then get to that area to level y etc.?

Any helpful tips are also appreciated, just don't tell me to subject myself to the public grouping :P
    - Do the side quests in normal difficulty as... normal.

- Farm an area till the effective XP gain is about 80%. Aim to farm: ledge, coves, fellshrine, broken bridge, western forest, sarc city, sarn docks and barracks. Till you can rofl-stomp the actual quest areas.

- Avoid crit builds

- Get tons of Life and then get more life along max resistances.

- Get a lot of life.

- If it looks like a bad situation and you are not 100% you can clear the area blindfolded; leave. Go back to a weaker area, farm more.

- Only do side missions in cruel+merc when you need to or can safely roflstomp the area.

- Get loads life, resistance and armor. Just like /tons/.

HC is just about playing safe. Upgrades in POE can sometimes be slower than D2/3 so the gear wall is sometimes unfair for a long time. The game is also designed to sort of "cheat" you as there will be lose-lose situations occasionally. Run away.

Scrubcore is full of Hardcore heroes that thought they were "fine".

Thanks, Fencers. Re-planning my build atm, going for a Duelist simply because there aren't many of them. Yes, I'm a stubborn masochist :P
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    I don't think you're having so much a thought but rather complete mental diarrhea all over the internet and your keyboard and it's not pretty or even logical.