Yeah, the only reason I started a melee Ranger is because I specifically wanted to do a full evasion build, so I actually wanted the early evasion nodes and the extra dex. Sadly, it is slow to get going and I immediately go into the Duelist tree. This is the early build that I have going before heading towards Ondar's Guild and up the right side of the tree. It has served me well so far, but now I'm in the phase of decided when to get more health or block while heading towards acrobatics.

So, yeah, I've gotten it to work for me, but I'd love to see the Ranger starting area get an overhaul. I also wouldn't mind seeing her Act 1 quest rewards get tweaked a bit, specifically her 1st supports. Melee only gets Extra Cold Damage just as you enter the area full of cold resist mobs, so all you're really doing is increasing the cost of your skills for little return.

Honestly, I think Shadow is worse than Ranger. Yes, Shadow has faster potential clear speed, but the lack of life nodes borders on being silly. And all those claw/dagger passives, ugh. It's like, go freezing pulse or go home, and you only go shadow for the early crit and chance to freeze, then you get the fuck out of that half of the tree. I suppose the real issue aside from the lack of life nods is that claws and daggers just have no good skills. Two handers get 3 good AoE skills, swords/axes get cleave, and claws/daggers get nothing. Dual strike all of the things!!!
    If Goku's power level increases at the same rate till the end of DBGT as it does till the end of the Frieza saga, as a SS4 Goku would have a PL of roughly 939 Quinoctogintillion. For reference that is a 260 digit number. A PL of 14,600 is required to destroy an earth sized planet. There are about 2 nonillion earths worth of mass in the universe. That means SS4 Goku can destroy the universe about 32 Octosexagintillion times over. There's a reason they made Goku a god at the end of GT.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I suppose the real issue aside from the lack of life nods is that claws and daggers just have no good skills. Two handers get 3 good AoE skills, swords/axes get cleave, and claws/daggers get nothing. Dual strike all of the things!!!
    I made a shadow and used dual strike up to the early 30's if I remember correctly, felt really powerful up to that point but hit a cap around there. I do agree though that the shadow is lacking in it's early tree and skill choice.
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    I made a shadow and used dual strike up to the early 30's if I remember correctly, felt really powerful up to that point but hit a cap around there. I do agree though that the shadow is lacking in it's early tree and skill choice.
    Dual Strike is still fairly decent with Melee Splash into the high 40s that I have seen thus far. It's still no Cleave, of course, but I just like claws so I'm stuck with that.

Shadow isn't too bad, though I do agree that it could use a bit of work on their early skill tree. My only issue with claws/dagger is their lack of early AoE, other than Whirling Desync. Actually, if they can get desync under control WB would actually be a decent AoE of sorts, but until then it misses more often than it hits, and you really don't want to use it more than once every few seconds or you'll be in a world of hurt. Dual Strike is still a nice ability for claws. I've not done much with daggers, but with their inherent crit bonuses they could be decent with Ele Hit when paired with Splash and Prolif on a Shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Yeah, the only reason I started a melee Ranger is because I specifically wanted to do a full evasion build, so I actually wanted the early evasion nodes and the extra dex. Sadly, it is slow to get going and I immediately go into the Duelist tree. This is the early build that I have going before heading towards Ondar's Guild and up the right side of the tree. It has served me well so far, but now I'm in the phase of decided when to get more health or block while heading towards acrobatics.

So, yeah, I've gotten it to work for me, but I'd love to see the Ranger starting area get an overhaul. I also wouldn't mind seeing her Act 1 quest rewards get tweaked a bit, specifically her 1st supports. Melee only gets Extra Cold Damage just as you enter the area full of cold resist mobs, so all you're really doing is increasing the cost of your skills for little return.
    I actually played a sword & board Ranger with IR. It was rather good but I felt that the dps dropped off too much at later levels. And getting there was a pain! However, I use the free respec to re-roll the Ranger as a two-handed LS build and it was a bit too squishy for HC without the shield.

It is workable, I agree. But it's so not worth it at the moment.

I stopped around here: link.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-07-04 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Dual Strike is still fairly decent with Melee Splash into the high 40s that I have seen thus far. It's still no Cleave, of course, but I just like claws so I'm stuck with that.
    Doing a claw Duelist now with double strike as both single and multi target, it's working surprisingly well. So cleave isn't the only solution to multi target.

Desync is busting my balls though.
    Last edited by Redblade; 2013-07-04 at 03:09 AM.
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

62/90 uniques, anyone want to bro deal me a Shavronne's? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    62/90 uniques, anyone want to bro deal me a Shavronne's? :P
    I'm so far behind that if I had one, I'd give it to you. I'll keep an eye out for it, but not getting my hopes up. You looking for the ring, boots or chest? Or all three?

Chest most likely!

Yeah chest is what I need, the only 'hard' bits I got left is Void Battery, Shaveronne's Wrappings, Aegis Aurora and Lioneye's Glare. The rest isn't that hard to get. Only 7 maps left for that one but even with poor RNG I don't see my self having to much issue with it, even if it's quite scary doing 77 maps with 3,2k life...

Either way I see my self completing them all in time, it did help quite a bit to get both the new axe and astral chest to drop for currency generation though. :P
    Last edited by Redblade; 2013-07-09 at 02:30 AM.

I just updated my game file (last time I played was in October I think) and I have a question. Have they added a colorblind mode or some way to see what color the linked sockets are? I looked around the options and didn't see one, but for me this would improve my game play immensely.

Nope. No colorblind mode.

They have not added a mode and they broke the old way of identifying sockets

old

And the new

As you can see the old sockets had notches with which to identify them

I liked the notches. Thought it was a great visual theme and offered easy consistently. Fairly basic/primary too; RedGreenBlue | SquareCircleTriangle.

Not sure why GGG went with an inferior system of visualization.

What's that sign in the middle of the skill tree about?
    Feels like a 7'th "premium" character class coming once beta ends.

Author of: Goggle Cat Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Been there for as long as i can remember , the have never said it would be another class and if it is going to be it won't be premium as that would be considered to be pay to win which they avoid

Looks like a serious buff to evasion and greater pressure on character accuracy coming...

Because 0.11.2 contains changes to the Ranger part of the passive tree, we've deeply examined how Evasion and Accuracy work in Path of Exile. Some changes have been made to how those values occur on monsters.

The first thing that became apparent was that dexterity-based monster had enough Accuracy to act as very hard counter to player Evasion. If you evade 50% of the time at level 50 but encounter a Ghost (which is a heavily dexterity-oriented monster), they'd be able to hit you around 70% of the time. Evasion based characters often prematurely ended their adventures in Wraeclast when they ran into groups of Flicker Striking ghosts.

In 0.11.2 we are making several changes to monster Accuracy and Evasion. We are completely removing Accuracy bonuses for dexterity-based monsters. Magic and Rare Monsters can still receive increases to accuracy from their mods but overall monster categories will no longer just wreck Evasion characters. As a contrast to this, dexterity-based monsters now demonstrate their dexterity by evading more than they did before.

Accuracy and Evasion values on monsters at higher levels have been heavily reduced. The exponential increases monsters gained made stacking Accuracy and Evasion a losing battle. Now if you choose to stack these values you will be rewarded with better chances to hit and evade.

This change has made a big difference to high level play. It has many beneficial consequences like increasing the value of good Rare Thicket Bows relative to Lioneye's Glare.

Here's another snippet from the new (still not final!) Ranger section of the tree.

Have a great weekend!
    http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/461242

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Long ago, all classes started in the middle. The design is a legacy element of that. No class is planned to occupy that slot.

Very nice news on the Evasion/Accuracy changes. I can't wait for this patch, as my two (currently) favorite melee characters are Rangers.

So I found a 6 socket Vaal regalia the other day and threw 1 fusing on it and got a 6 link, sold that which enabled me to buy a Shaveronne's that I decided to throw a stack of jeweller's on just to see if I could 6 socket it, 9 jeweller's in I got it and decided to use up 10 fusings for the hell of it and 6 linked it in 8.

Don't think I'll ever see that kind of luck ever again.