1. #1581
    The Lightbringer Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    3,989
    Allright so I finally played PoE for a couple of hours. Got a lvl 14 fireball/summoner Witch, and a lvl 10 archer Shadow.

    My first impressions:

    Good:

    - The look & feel. This is without a doubt the true sequel to Diablo II.

    - The fucking amazing passive skill tree. I don't know how it plays out in end-game, but so far I love it. It truly gives you choices that you have to think about, and the possibilities seem endless. Moreover, beside the respec points you might gain, the choices you make are permanent, which I love.

    - The gem system. One of my favourite things about Final Fantasy VII was the Materia system, and it seems PoE has nicely borrowed this great mechanic. I still believe one of D3's greatest mistakes was removing runestones as physical items. And here we have PoE with an even cooler system.

    - The health/mana potion system. It's a nice clutter-free evolution from D2's system with a ton of room for added complexity. It's also far, far better than D3's embarassingly crappy and useless potion system.

    - The map system. I haven't experienced it yet (too low lvl), but from what I've seen of it it seems like an amazing idea for end-level content. Can't wait to try it out.


    Bad:

    - Clicking areas are terrible. For example, it's a complete pain to click on a chest while you have 4 of your zombies standing around it. Clicking on exits to other areas aswell as waypoints is also a huge pain. Seems like you have to click exactly on the name, or it often won't work.

    - The layover map. It's pretty much a carbon-copy of the D2 map, which was fine at the time, but which seems very outdated nowadays. I would like a slicker, clearer map functionality.

    - No offline mode. I bitched about it with D3, so it's only fair that I bitch about it with PoE. I get the whole hackers argument, but at the end of the day it's still an inconvenience to have to wait in line for overloaded servers at peak hour when I want to play single-player anyway. Not a huge deal, though, I can live with always-online.

    - Vendors and currency. Selling junk seems like a huge pain, though this is likely something that will be improved as the Beta moves forward. The idea of having no gold as currency seems good, but it causes quite a lot of clutter with the multiple badly-stacking currencies

    - No chat "lounge". One of the most requested features in D3 is also sadly not present in PoE. The bulletin board method to join pugs is a small step in the right direction, but I hop they plan on adding a real lounge with channels, avatars, and most importantly, a clickable gem.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Holy Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  2. #1582
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    - No offline mode. I bitched about it with D3, so it's only fair that I bitch about it with PoE. I get the whole hackers argument, but at the end of the day it's still an inconvenience to have to wait in line for overloaded servers at peak hour when I want to play single-player anyway. Not a huge deal, though, I can live with always-online.
    I doubt the game will ever have an ofline mode and quite rightly so as it's a f2p game...if they ever add a offline mode you'll need to pay for the game regardless

  3. #1583
    Brewmaster Waervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denmark/Netherlands/Finland
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post

    - The layover map. It's pretty much a carbon-copy of the D2 map, which was fine at the time, but which seems very outdated nowadays. I would like a slicker, clearer map functionality.
    About the layover map. I was a bit annoyed with it, as in better-lit areas, you don't really see the map well. Only yesterday I discovered...the cornermap!
    Click options->UI, enable corner map. Put it so that it's not transparent at all, and it really works wonders =)

  4. #1584
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    - Vendors and currency. Selling junk seems like a huge pain, though this is likely something that will be improved as the Beta moves forward. The idea of having no gold as currency seems good, but it causes quite a lot of clutter with the multiple badly-stacking currencies
    Almost immune to inflation due to being consumable so in that respect it's far superior to gold, if they change how they stack and what not I have no idea but it's a minor inconvenience.

    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    - No chat "lounge". One of the most requested features in D3 is also sadly not present in PoE. The bulletin board method to join pugs is a small step in the right direction, but I hop they plan on adding a real lounge with channels, avatars, and most importantly, a clickable gem.
    Chats are very basic at the moment so hope they will improve on them over time, think they said they where looking at some type of guild system down the line as well so guessing chat work could come hand in hand with that.
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

  5. #1585
    Currently lvl 45 awesome game but god damnit i hate loosing xp when i die (i'm terrible and die a lot )

  6. #1586
    The Lightbringer Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    3,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    About the layover map. I was a bit annoyed with it, as in better-lit areas, you don't really see the map well. Only yesterday I discovered...the cornermap!
    Click options->UI, enable corner map. Put it so that it's not transparent at all, and it really works wonders =)
    Hehehe yeah, I discovered the mini-map towards the end of my session last night, so I didn't have enough time to get used to it (keeped forgetting to look at it and kept hitting TAB to show the big map). But yeah, I think I'll be using that instead
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Holy Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  7. #1587
    Just gave the game a spin yesterday as a Duelist dual-wield build and I'm liking it so far. It's got a nice difficulty level and most encounters feel challenging. I like that I can adapt my abilities on the fly to deal with certain enemies and can switch between straight up tanking mobs to kiting and bleeding/poisoning them. Hopefully they'll be able to get the servers sorted out soonish, but that's not a major concern. Lived with it in Diablo 3, can live with it here too.

  8. #1588
    I just play the game since a week. Made a Witch, skills on Minions, lvl31 and lovin it! It's realy fun to send 14 Minions into a room to clear it, me standing behind them buffing them and do some fire-dmg, stick down some firetraps if they might try to escape.

    Just into act 3 now. It's good to see in Act3 things get a little bit tougher

    Only part I realy dislike is that I dont have an opportunity to reset (all) my skills to rebuild the spec. I messed up at the start and I regret it now.
    Also, trying to find some good forums about this spec, but tbh, it's kinda hard to find a good one. Maybe someone has a good suggestion?
    -It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!-

  9. #1589
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Let me introduce you to this thing called RL where you get much higher money/hour ratio than in any game. Enjoy.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 09:57 AM ----------



    To be fair Blizz is not above just copy&pasting what they see others do. They have a hard time coming up with new stuff, but they do know how to implement what others came up with ... PoE can only help D3.
    You didnt get what i meant, i was saying that items have 0 value. Everyone knows that having a real job = better money. But the excitement of playing and enjoying a game and having that small chance of getting something really valuable is nice. I have a casual friend who is very well off in RL and he found a crit/str mempo.

    Basically what im saying is that i want the excitement of finding something RARE AND AWESOME. If theres no value to it then i see nothing being awesome honestly. I dont care if RL has better money..i just want the excitement of finding something awesome even if i never will.


    Another thing i dislike is that the passive skill tree while being huge is meh at best. Too many passive stats and too less fun abilities.

  10. #1590
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Managed to convince my husband to play today after I showed him the passive tree and explained how the crafting system and skill gems worked last night... he caved suprisingly fast considering I've been trying to get him to play something that's not league of legends for months :P Now I won't be forever alone, woot.
    Playing with more people makes the game way more enjoyable, imo. I've been going into public groups every now and then just for that reason.


    Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    I still need alot for my end-build; (Not hardcore, EU) Reduced mana, Phase run (Skill, did it make it to open beta?), Increased Duration, Faster casting, Greater projectiles and I think a few more, but thoes are the main things now - Especially Reduced mana support gem, so I can use it together with my aura's for a future lucky 4-linked item. Aura's take SOOO much of you're mana that I struggle with mana regen now under clarity, even trough I only use skils around level 8-10


    Feel free to PM me anyone if they wanna trade on EU non-HC ;D Got some decent orbs atm that could be a fair trade for few gems. Also got alot off random, some good, gems.
    Phase run did not make it to open beta. As for the others, I'll take a gander at my stash. What is your IGN?

  11. #1591
    Quote Originally Posted by Nheo View Post
    Only part I realy dislike is that I dont have an opportunity to reset (all) my skills to rebuild the spec. I messed up at the start and I regret it now.
    Also, trying to find some good forums about this spec, but tbh, it's kinda hard to find a good one. Maybe someone has a good suggestion?
    Now, this dosen't fly for all, but what I do for pretty much any game before I barely even started it, is that I plan ahead. I will google information, go to offical forums and look at youtube. Internet power is HUGE, cause there are always some awesome nerds that made a cool guide, video or gives tips on forums ;P Yes its very spoiler-like, but I like to know what I need to aim for before I play.

    What you described sounds like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_wS4On23ko, havent seen the guide, but hey I know this guy is somewhat helpfull

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 12:23 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Papapwn View Post
    Another thing i dislike is that the passive skill tree while being huge is meh at best. Too many passive stats and too less fun abilities.
    I agree with this. The passive skill tree aint that amasing at all. As with ALL games there are always a "right way and a wrong way" - People will figure out the best stuff, and you will then copy it like a sheep.

    What it does do however is give a little bit off depth and learning curve, witch can be fun. Also some talents can be taken now, and removed later as gear improves etc (Like DEX nodes for me).
    One reason for WoW decline I often hear is that its an old game and naturally people get bored with it. But TV is much older and people still watch that. Surely if a thing you once enjoyed keept staying fun, you would still use it?

  12. #1592
    Brewmaster Waervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denmark/Netherlands/Finland
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    Almost immune to inflation due to being consumable so in that respect it's far superior to gold, if they change how they stack and what not I have no idea but it's a minor inconvenience.
    I personally don't expect them to change stacking of these things. Now you'll need a decently sized stash if you accumulate many of these orbs, which results in some people buying stash tabs. They would be kind of shooting themselves in the foot if they made stacking to 99 or so (which I find fair enough for them considering it's f2p).

    Rain of Arrows must be one of the most cool looking skills ever! =)

  13. #1593
    Dreadlord Niku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    スウェーデン
    Posts
    911
    As a summoner, how important is it to level up my summon gems? There's so much about not leveling them being talked about in here, but even with talents, I must level them up some I presume?
    "The world is filled with lies! Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not bear false witness. Thou shalt not commit adultary. These are all lies, deceptions. I don't want to be killed. I don't want to be victim of theft. That is why they use lies like justice and moral to protect their weak selves. The original truth is the survival of the fittest. One must devour it all, wether it be other humans, wealth, power or the world itself! All hail Britannia!" - Charles vi Britannia

  14. #1594
    Quote Originally Posted by Papapwn View Post
    Another thing i dislike is that the passive skill tree while being huge is meh at best. Too many passive stats and too less fun abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    I agree with this. The passive skill tree aint that amasing at all. As with ALL games there are always a "right way and a wrong way" - People will figure out the best stuff, and you will then copy it like a sheep.
    The point of a passive tree is to provide the user with choices, it's not made to be "fun", some enjoy and find the mental exercise to be fun but at it's core it's a means to customize based on play style, preference or just "to see if it works".

    Really hate poor arguments against talent trees and that it's not "fun" or that "everyone will use cookie cutter builds" is really two of the worst.
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

  15. #1595
    Quote Originally Posted by Papapwn View Post
    You didnt get what i meant, i was saying that items have 0 value. Everyone knows that having a real job = better money. But the excitement of playing and enjoying a game and having that small chance of getting something really valuable is nice. I have a casual friend who is very well off in RL and he found a crit/str mempo.

    Basically what im saying is that i want the excitement of finding something RARE AND AWESOME. If theres no value to it then i see nothing being awesome honestly. I dont care if RL has better money..i just want the excitement of finding something awesome even if i never will.

    Another thing i dislike is that the passive skill tree while being huge is meh at best. Too many passive stats and too less fun abilities.
    Thing is other ppl don't see the connection that awesome item = must have rl value. Awesome item is something super strong and/or unique that you find in the game. RL value has no bearing on how awesome the item is. And the talent tree is there so you can highlight your build, so you can make your build that supports your play style. Abilities come from different part of the game.

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  16. #1596
    Quote Originally Posted by Niku View Post
    As a summoner, how important is it to level up my summon gems? There's so much about not leveling them being talked about in here, but even with talents, I must level them up some I presume?
    There are some gems ( such as certain auras ) that become very mana intensive and can end up causing issues, especially if your mana regen / pool can't support it. Other than that, I believe you should level the majority of your gems.

  17. #1597
    Quote Originally Posted by Niku View Post
    As a summoner, how important is it to level up my summon gems? There's so much about not leveling them being talked about in here, but even with talents, I must level them up some I presume?
    It think you should level up your zombies and/or spectral(if you have that gem), but hold off on the skeletons because once you get Spell Totem, its mana will increase a lot and it won't help if you put the support gem Spell Totem, which pretty much summons skeletons for you for X time, it does your summoning for you pretty much and it increases the cost a lot but I don't really know how it works tbh, I just know it increases mana and that's why I think you should not level the skeletons.

  18. #1598
    The Lightbringer Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    3,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    Now, this dosen't fly for all, but what I do for pretty much any game before I barely even started it, is that I plan ahead. I will google information, go to offical forums and look at youtube. Internet power is HUGE, cause there are always some awesome nerds that made a cool guide, video or gives tips on forums ;P Yes its very spoiler-like, but I like to know what I need to aim for before I play.

    What you described sounds like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_wS4On23ko, havent seen the guide, but hey I know this guy is somewhat helpfull

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 12:23 PM ----------



    I agree with this. The passive skill tree aint that amasing at all. As with ALL games there are always a "right way and a wrong way" - People will figure out the best stuff, and you will then copy it like a sheep.

    What it does do however is give a little bit off depth and learning curve, witch can be fun. Also some talents can be taken now, and removed later as gear improves etc (Like DEX nodes for me).

    First you advocate following online guides etc, and then you diss the passive skill tree as being cookie-cuttable and call those who follow guides sheep.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Holy Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  19. #1599
    Dreadlord Niku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    スウェーデン
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by Xigor View Post
    There are some gems ( such as certain auras ) that become very mana intensive and can end up causing issues, especially if your mana regen / pool can't support it. Other than that, I believe you should level the majority of your gems.
    I think you should hold of on non spellcaster gems, as I've understood it. As the damage of those gems are more reliant on your characters stats.

    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    It think you should level up your zombies and/or spectral(if you have that gem), but hold off on the skeletons because once you get Spell Totem, its mana will increase a lot and it won't help if you put the support gem Spell Totem, which pretty much summons skeletons for you for X time, it does your summoning for you pretty much and it increases the cost a lot but I don't really know how it works tbh, I just know it increases mana and that's why I think you should not level the skeletons.
    Okok, but I never find this oo so revered spell totem. xD
    "The world is filled with lies! Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not bear false witness. Thou shalt not commit adultary. These are all lies, deceptions. I don't want to be killed. I don't want to be victim of theft. That is why they use lies like justice and moral to protect their weak selves. The original truth is the survival of the fittest. One must devour it all, wether it be other humans, wealth, power or the world itself! All hail Britannia!" - Charles vi Britannia

  20. #1600
    Quote Originally Posted by Niku View Post
    Okok, but I never find this oo so revered spell totem. xD
    I heard it's pretty rare. :c

    And it's good on all builds I believe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •