1. #1861
    This game rocks !!!!

    100% times better than Diablo 3

    Ranger 23 juhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ^^

  2. #1862
    Dear skelly spell totem, there are no words for how much I miss you...
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

  3. #1863
    Brewmaster Waervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denmark/Netherlands/Finland
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    Dear skelly spell totem, there are no words for how much I miss you...
    God yeah. Level 31 was definitely a turning point on my summoner (:

  4. #1864
    Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    Sigh, lost my level 61 HC char. =(

    Can't decide if I should remake the same again or try summit else.
    RIP RIP RIP.

    Now then .... how did you die ?

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  5. #1865
    Moderator Shamanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    10,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    It felt like playing the game had lost its value or meaning because there was no fear of death, there was no worry that "I need that next bit of gear if I am to survive" and there was no feeling of accomplishment when defeating a challenge, because it was no longer a challenge.
    I love D3 but I know what you mean here, I think that PoE definitely has that which D3 doesn't. It is definitely challenging, and death is a serious risk. The added bonus is if you really want to challenge yourself, play on hardcore and your character is simply dropped to default league when you die, rather than be wiped.

    Also, off topic, another gamer in Wales, happy days
    Moderator of Professions | General Discussion | Diablo 3 | Guild Wars 2
    Please take the time to read the Forum Guidelines & Sig Guidelines

    Currently playing: No MMOs | Diablo 3 | LoL | Hex TCG | Hearthstone
    Steam | Twitter

  6. #1866
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    I love D3 but I know what you mean here, I think that PoE definitely has that which D3 doesn't. It is definitely challenging, and death is a serious risk. The added bonus is if you really want to challenge yourself, play on hardcore and your character is simply dropped to default league when you die, rather than be wiped.

    Also, off topic, another gamer in Wales, happy days
    On the other hand the game is more fair when it comes to HC than D3 is. You can log out way faster, you can port to city to refill your pots, you don't lose your character when he dies. I never started HC char in D3 because of how the game treats your avatar when you dc. It's like you have technical issues ? No worry we will force your character to stay in the game so he can die.

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  7. #1867
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    RIP RIP RIP.

    Now then .... how did you die ?
    Actually the same way my 37 died, the annoying stone throwers in 'The Cove' that gains frenzy charges en mass, not a one-shot but could just as well have been, 2,5k ish HP lost in a second flat.

    I pushed to hard to get to act 2 and the ability to farm Fellshrine and suffered for it, should have stopped a bit to get my gear better sorted, live and learn(or die in this case^^).
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

  8. #1868
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    On the other hand the game is more fair when it comes to HC than D3 is. You can log out way faster, you can port to city to refill your pots, you don't lose your character when he dies. I never started HC char in D3 because of how the game treats your avatar when you dc. It's like you have technical issues ? No worry we will force your character to stay in the game so he can die.
    Our servers crashed? No worry we will force your character to stay in the game so he can die.
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now


  9. #1869
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Our servers crashed? No worry we will force your character to stay in the game so he can die.
    Upon server crash, the server can't make you die, because there is no server. Upon a latency disconnect however, the server waits for a response from the client and it depends on the length of that interval, whether you die or actually get logged out fast enough.

  10. #1870
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Our servers crashed? No worry we will force your character to stay in the game so he can die.
    What game are you talking about now ... D3 servers don't crash and if PoE server crashes, they do a short rollback, so even if you do die because of the crash, the death gets wiped out. Picture me confused.

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  11. #1871
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    What game are you talking about now ... D3 servers don't crash and if PoE server crashes, they do a short rollback, so even if you do die because of the crash, the death gets wiped out. Picture me confused.
    The rollback is only because the server saves every xx seconds. If the server dies, there is nothing to roll back from. The last save is simply the one before the crash, which could be anything between 1 to 30 seconds. There is no actual "manual rollback". Dying due to a server crash is non-existent. The server = dead, who will register your death taking place? Not the server, since it's dead.

  12. #1872
    Dreadlord Cludo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    781
    Silly question here, but bare with me

    So basically I have a decent internet connection, I can go a few days without it dropping out or having any lag problems. Then all of a sudden my net can just drop off for a few seconds. This happened a few times while I played D3 Hardcore (Lost a level 59 Wizard, and my goal was to only hit 60 on HC!! and a few level 20-30's) solo play and with friends. Usually on D3 HC, DC = Dead.. nothing much you can do, unless your team mates can save you.

    In Path of Exile, I've DC'd twice now mid combat and absolutely shat myself, with the fear that I will log back in to see my character sat in Default league. But this has not happened. Why is this? Am I just getting lucky or is there something implemented within the game to save people from dying due to DC?

    *I watched a video of Kripp playing on the closed Beta and one of his friends died due to DC so it must not happen to everybody?*

  13. #1873
    The game is designed to log you out as fast as possible as opposed to D3 where you remain in game to prevent alt+f4 'abuse' (I personally see it more as an awareness skill when playing HC to alt+f4), at least that's my guess.
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

  14. #1874
    Quote Originally Posted by Cludo View Post
    Silly question here, but bare with me

    So basically I have a decent internet connection, I can go a few days without it dropping out or having any lag problems. Then all of a sudden my net can just drop off for a few seconds. This happened a few times while I played D3 Hardcore (Lost a level 59 Wizard, and my goal was to only hit 60 on HC!! and a few level 20-30's) solo play and with friends. Usually on D3 HC, DC = Dead.. nothing much you can do, unless your team mates can save you.

    In Path of Exile, I've DC'd twice now mid combat and absolutely shat myself, with the fear that I will log back in to see my character sat in Default league. But this has not happened. Why is this? Am I just getting lucky or is there something implemented within the game to save people from dying due to DC?

    *I watched a video of Kripp playing on the closed Beta and one of his friends died due to DC so it must not happen to everybody?*
    Ok, this is how it normally works:

    [Client] < - > [Server]
    The client sends packets. The server requests more packets, the client responds with more packets, rinse and repeat. When your connection is lost, the server won't receive anything any more and after an x amount of time, it will consider you disconnected and will then log you out.

    The "luck" factor is in the interval that's being used to consider you "disconnected".

    Let's say a game checks every 1 second whether there is still a connection between the client and the server and if even 1 single request has a time-out, it will consider you disconnected. This has a few consequences:
    - Any form of latency higher than 500ms could drop you immediately, often.
    - Any spike in your connection, would drop you immediately.
    - Extreme bandwidth abuse on both your network and the PoE network.

    So normally, there's a few second interval before you actually get logged out. In WoW, this figure is extremely high, because high-latency people can play the game without being disconnected. In Diablo II, this interval was actually often too high, because we all know we died due to DC more than once.

    It seems to me that PoE allows you to get logged out quite quickly, so you'll need to have a low ping to be able to play continuously, but your characters are safer, due to the fast response time on that time-out. So if you do get a DC, you will have about 3 to 5 (guestimate) seconds before the server recognizes this. If you die before the 5 seconds are over, you are actually dead. If you are at 1hp when the 5 seconds are over, your account is logged out and your character will still be alive.

    P.S Never Alt-f4 out of any game. Always use Escape -> Quit if the game allows it, because you will be logged off immediately. Alt-F4 will be considered as a disconnect by the server and once more, you have to wait a few seconds, standing still, on that dark dark server with all those mobs surrounding you.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-02-04 at 04:39 PM.

  15. #1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    P.S Never Alt-f4 out of any game. Always use Escape -> Quit if the game allows it, because you will be logged off immediately. Alt-F4 will be considered as a disconnect by the server and once more, you have to wait a few seconds, standing still, on that dark dark server with all those mobs surrounding you.
    I bet you that I'm faster with alt+F4 with the added 3-5 seconds than going to the menu and exiting that way, especially in a tight spot where reaction timer is everything.
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

  16. #1876
    Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    I bet you that I'm faster with alt+F4 with the added 3-5 seconds than going to the menu and exiting that way, especially in a tight spot where reaction timer is everything.
    I've played Diablo II for 6 years straight and never used Alt-F4. Wanna bet I'm faster? Oh and another thing. Do me the favor and count to 5 out loud and see how long it takes my reactions (1 second) versus your 5 seconds due to alt-f4

    Point is, Alt-F4 is always slower. No single fool takes 5 seconds to exit the game through escape - quit.

  17. #1877
    Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    Actually the same way my 37 died, the annoying stone throwers in 'The Cove' that gains frenzy charges en mass, not a one-shot but could just as well have been, 2,5k ish HP lost in a second flat.

    I pushed to hard to get to act 2 and the ability to farm Fellshrine and suffered for it, should have stopped a bit to get my gear better sorted, live and learn(or die in this case^^).
    I don't know but I'm pretty sure if you get like 3 flasks of Speed you could skip that very easily.

  18. #1878
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    The rollback is only because the server saves every xx seconds. If the server dies, there is nothing to roll back from. The last save is simply the one before the crash, which could be anything between 1 to 30 seconds. There is no actual "manual rollback". Dying due to a server crash is non-existent. The server = dead, who will register your death taking place? Not the server, since it's dead.
    Way to take server crash as an instant black&white situation. The servers don't die with blue screen. They start dropping connections, then instances and then they crash completelly. If you got dced in this situation and died because of it in still running instance you will get roll back. I recall some top 20 player dying, server crashed way later after long stream of RIPs faded away and when we got back he was still in hc league thx to roll back. We don't know the technical details how exactly does this work, but personally I haven't heared about anybody who died because of server crash. Dc, desync sure, but if server goes down you won't die because of it.

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  19. #1879
    Note to self: Don't try to use portal scrolls to get out of danger, just ALT + F4 next time

  20. #1880
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I've played Diablo II for 6 years straight and never used Alt-F4. Wanna bet I'm faster? Oh and another thing. Do me the favor and count to 5 out loud and see how long it takes my reactions (1 second) versus your 5 seconds due to alt-f4

    Point is, Alt-F4 is always slower. No single fool takes 5 seconds to exit the game through escape - quit.
    Never said I was faster than you, I said faster using alt+F4 than going the normal route. Normally no one would take that long to exit I agree, in a stressed situation I'm betting that G15 alt+F4 macro close by your hand will out perform the normal way for most players as it's one action compared to multiple.

    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I don't know but I'm pretty sure if you get like 3 flasks of Speed you could skip that very easily.
    Yeah unless something went wrong...I'd rather lose the character knowing it was my fault than taking a chance where I knew there was a fairly high risk something could go wrong, fast elite pack with slow for one.
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •