Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    On the other hand the game is more fair when it comes to HC than D3 is. You can log out way faster, you can port to city to refill your pots, you don't lose your character when he dies. I never started HC char in D3 because of how the game treats your avatar when you dc. It's like you have technical issues ? No worry we will force your character to stay in the game so he can die.
    Our servers crashed? No worry we will force your character to stay in the game so he can die.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Our servers crashed? No worry we will force your character to stay in the game so he can die.
    Upon server crash, the server can't make you die, because there is no server. Upon a latency disconnect however, the server waits for a response from the client and it depends on the length of that interval, whether you die or actually get logged out fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    What game are you talking about now ... D3 servers don't crash and if PoE server crashes, they do a short rollback, so even if you do die because of the crash, the death gets wiped out. Picture me confused.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

What game are you talking about now ... D3 servers don't crash and if PoE server crashes, they do a short rollback, so even if you do die because of the crash, the death gets wiped out. Picture me confused.
    The rollback is only because the server saves every xx seconds. If the server dies, there is nothing to roll back from. The last save is simply the one before the crash, which could be anything between 1 to 30 seconds. There is no actual "manual rollback". Dying due to a server crash is non-existent. The server = dead, who will register your death taking place? Not the server, since it's dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Silly question here, but bare with me

So basically I have a decent internet connection, I can go a few days without it dropping out or having any lag problems. Then all of a sudden my net can just drop off for a few seconds. This happened a few times while I played D3 Hardcore (Lost a level 59 Wizard, and my goal was to only hit 60 on HC!! and a few level 20-30's) solo play and with friends. Usually on D3 HC, DC = Dead.. nothing much you can do, unless your team mates can save you.

In Path of Exile, I've DC'd twice now mid combat and absolutely shat myself, with the fear that I will log back in to see my character sat in Default league. But this has not happened. Why is this? Am I just getting lucky or is there something implemented within the game to save people from dying due to DC?

*I watched a video of Kripp playing on the closed Beta and one of his friends died due to DC so it must not happen to everybody?*

The game is designed to log you out as fast as possible as opposed to D3 where you remain in game to prevent alt+f4 'abuse' (I personally see it more as an awareness skill when playing HC to alt+f4), at least that's my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Cludo View Post
    Silly question here, but bare with me

So basically I have a decent internet connection, I can go a few days without it dropping out or having any lag problems. Then all of a sudden my net can just drop off for a few seconds. This happened a few times while I played D3 Hardcore (Lost a level 59 Wizard, and my goal was to only hit 60 on HC!! and a few level 20-30's) solo play and with friends. Usually on D3 HC, DC = Dead.. nothing much you can do, unless your team mates can save you.

In Path of Exile, I've DC'd twice now mid combat and absolutely shat myself, with the fear that I will log back in to see my character sat in Default league. But this has not happened. Why is this? Am I just getting lucky or is there something implemented within the game to save people from dying due to DC?

*I watched a video of Kripp playing on the closed Beta and one of his friends died due to DC so it must not happen to everybody?*
    Ok, this is how it normally works:

[Client] < - > [Server]
    The client sends packets. The server requests more packets, the client responds with more packets, rinse and repeat. When your connection is lost, the server won't receive anything any more and after an x amount of time, it will consider you disconnected and will then log you out.

The "luck" factor is in the interval that's being used to consider you "disconnected".

Let's say a game checks every 1 second whether there is still a connection between the client and the server and if even 1 single request has a time-out, it will consider you disconnected. This has a few consequences:
    - Any form of latency higher than 500ms could drop you immediately, often.
    - Any spike in your connection, would drop you immediately.
    - Extreme bandwidth abuse on both your network and the PoE network.

So normally, there's a few second interval before you actually get logged out. In WoW, this figure is extremely high, because high-latency people can play the game without being disconnected. In Diablo II, this interval was actually often too high, because we all know we died due to DC more than once.

It seems to me that PoE allows you to get logged out quite quickly, so you'll need to have a low ping to be able to play continuously, but your characters are safer, due to the fast response time on that time-out. So if you do get a DC, you will have about 3 to 5 (guestimate) seconds before the server recognizes this. If you die before the 5 seconds are over, you are actually dead. If you are at 1hp when the 5 seconds are over, your account is logged out and your character will still be alive.

P.S Never Alt-f4 out of any game. Always use Escape -> Quit if the game allows it, because you will be logged off immediately. Alt-F4 will be considered as a disconnect by the server and once more, you have to wait a few seconds, standing still, on that dark dark server with all those mobs surrounding you.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-02-04 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    P.S Never Alt-f4 out of any game. Always use Escape -> Quit if the game allows it, because you will be logged off immediately. Alt-F4 will be considered as a disconnect by the server and once more, you have to wait a few seconds, standing still, on that dark dark server with all those mobs surrounding you.
    I bet you that I'm faster with alt+F4 with the added 3-5 seconds than going to the menu and exiting that way, especially in a tight spot where reaction timer is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    I bet you that I'm faster with alt+F4 with the added 3-5 seconds than going to the menu and exiting that way, especially in a tight spot where reaction timer is everything.
    I've played Diablo II for 6 years straight and never used Alt-F4. Wanna bet I'm faster? Oh and another thing. Do me the favor and count to 5 out loud and see how long it takes my reactions (1 second) versus your 5 seconds due to alt-f4

Point is, Alt-F4 is always slower. No single fool takes 5 seconds to exit the game through escape - quit.

Deleted
    Actually the same way my 37 died, the annoying stone throwers in 'The Cove' that gains frenzy charges en mass, not a one-shot but could just as well have been, 2,5k ish HP lost in a second flat.

I pushed to hard to get to act 2 and the ability to farm Fellshrine and suffered for it, should have stopped a bit to get my gear better sorted, live and learn(or die in this case^^).
    I don't know but I'm pretty sure if you get like 3 flasks of Speed you could skip that very easily.

The rollback is only because the server saves every xx seconds. If the server dies, there is nothing to roll back from. The last save is simply the one before the crash, which could be anything between 1 to 30 seconds. There is no actual "manual rollback". Dying due to a server crash is non-existent. The server = dead, who will register your death taking place? Not the server, since it's dead.
    Way to take server crash as an instant black&white situation. The servers don't die with blue screen. They start dropping connections, then instances and then they crash completelly. If you got dced in this situation and died because of it in still running instance you will get roll back. I recall some top 20 player dying, server crashed way later after long stream of RIPs faded away and when we got back he was still in hc league thx to roll back. We don't know the technical details how exactly does this work, but personally I haven't heared about anybody who died because of server crash. Dc, desync sure, but if server goes down you won't die because of it.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    Note to self: Don't try to use portal scrolls to get out of danger, just ALT + F4 next time

I've played Diablo II for 6 years straight and never used Alt-F4. Wanna bet I'm faster? Oh and another thing. Do me the favor and count to 5 out loud and see how long it takes my reactions (1 second) versus your 5 seconds due to alt-f4

Point is, Alt-F4 is always slower. No single fool takes 5 seconds to exit the game through escape - quit.
    Never said I was faster than you, I said faster using alt+F4 than going the normal route. Normally no one would take that long to exit I agree, in a stressed situation I'm betting that G15 alt+F4 macro close by your hand will out perform the normal way for most players as it's one action compared to multiple.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I don't know but I'm pretty sure if you get like 3 flasks of Speed you could skip that very easily.
    Yeah unless something went wrong...I'd rather lose the character knowing it was my fault than taking a chance where I knew there was a fairly high risk something could go wrong, fast elite pack with slow for one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eemuman View Post
    Note to self: Don't try to use portal scrolls to get out of danger, just ALT + F4 next time
    But that won't save your progress!

Deleted
    Are people saying that alt + f4 is better than portal scrolling or?

I think I'd rather do a portal scroll... :p

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 05:33 PM ----------

Yeah unless something went wrong...I'd rather lose the character knowing it was my fault than taking a chance where I knew there was a fairly high risk something could go wrong, fast elite pack with slow for one.
    Well, it does make sense but in hc, you want to stay alive as much as possible, and I don't think it's bad to rely on flasks to do that.

Well, it does make sense but in hc, you want to stay alive as much as possible, and I don't think it's bad to rely on flasks to do that.
    Wasn't arguing that the flasks was the issue, I assumed you meant using them to just bypass everything which could very well backfire on you.

Deleted
    Wasn't arguing that the flasks was the issue, I assumed you meant using them to just bypass everything which could very well backfire on you.
    I know I know, but I don't see that would happen if you could bring flasks filled, and you can always just portal to town to get them filled again, but I don't know if that's possible in hc or not assuming the ones in your bag aren't filled.

You're not making much sense. First of all, it's Baal runs. Second, bots might occasionally join one such game, but it would never be composed of bots and third, gold had literally no value. Like..none whatsoever. And the game wasn't about ninja looting. Grabbing loot was part of the challenge.
    My sister helped write one the most popular D2 bots in the world. She still actively develops for it and runs the botting wiki and website.

High level d2 was very much based around botting. Bots hosted games all the time.

Actually playing D2 was and is irreverent. The meta game is based around botting effectively and power trading.

Quote Originally Posted by Cludo View Post
    POE drops you immedietly in most cases. If there is a crash, there is a rollback. As others have said.

Are people saying that alt + f4 is better than portal scrolling or?
    If you are playing hardcore and might die, you alt f4. Which was the standard practice for d2 as well.

A serious player would never take the risk. Many HC characters do content WAY over level too. Like people will grind to the point of no longer gaining experience in act 1 before fighting Merveil. Imagine girding to almost level 26 on sea witches...

Alt f4, portals, over leveling-- anything to reduce risk.

Softcore is whatever.

Way to take server crash as an instant black&white situation. The servers don't die with blue screen. They start dropping connections, then instances and then they crash completelly. If you got dced in this situation and died because of it in still running instance you will get roll back. I recall some top 20 player dying, server crashed way later after long stream of RIPs faded away and when we got back he was still in hc league thx to roll back. We don't know the technical details how exactly does this work, but personally I haven't heared about anybody who died because of server crash. Dc, desync sure, but if server goes down you won't die because of it.
    Actually yes, they went POP-BOOM-REBOOT. You could have known that if you had kept a close eye on developer posts on the forums.

Not that what you said is wrong persé, it's just that the server crash was instant. The cause of that crash an accumulation of stress, which lead to your mentioned lag, which eventually domino'd the entire server. But a Server crash, like boom, server is gone, that works as I described.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

If you are playing hardcore and might die, you alt f4. Which was the standard practice for d2 as well.
    No it wasn't. Alt-F4 in Diablo II meant about 10 to 15! seconds of afk time in your last game. 10 seconds is a looooot of time for you to die. Escape - Quit. That's where it's at. And yes I'm pretty sure, since everyone had 15 accounts and muled basically everything and if you got DC'd during muling, that other account stuck for about 10 to 15 seconds. Alt-F4 is doing that same thing. You forcibly crash the client (unless the program is programmed to respond to alt-f4, which is not the case with DII, hence the OS picks up the command and kills the current running process) and the server will wait for a response from the client until it decides that you went offline. And that was a freaking long time in DII.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-02-04 at 06:36 PM.

(1) http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s...PyL_ZI96P8xQ==

for dual wield duelist.

but I found few variations of this build:

(2) http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s..._z3fZI9778xQ==

-Losses:
    +16% accuracy
    +125% increased crit chance
    +15% crit damage
    +6% damage
    +3% attack speed
    +10 strength

Gains:
    +24% accuracy
    +22% damage
    +11% attack speed
    +10 dex
    +20 strength
    +5% max elemental resists

Net:
    +8% accuracy
    +14% damage
    +8% attack speed
    +10 dex
    +10 str
    +5% max elemental resists
    -125% increased crit chance
    -15% increased crit damage
    -----------------------------------------------------

(3) http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s...TyL_Pd9kj8xQ==

Lose:
    -some elemental resist nodes (12 all and 30 fire)
    -twin terrors branch
    -axe node
    -the small gallantry dw node behind axe
    -the 95% armor nodes (duelist and marauder areas)
    -the one hand nodes near marauder area
    -iron reflex/unwavering stance

Gain:
    -elemental adaptation
    -resolute technique
    -104% nore armor/dodge (the hybrid nodes)
    -arrow dodging
    -dual wield nodes above arrow dodging (basicaley replacing the ones under axe from his build with an extra 2% ias and 4% block)
    -fencing (replacing the one hand nodes near marauder area)

I can't seem to decide which is the better...

(these builds are taken from the official forums)
    Last edited by Creatinebrah; 2013-02-04 at 08:33 PM.