Yeah, my advice when you're new is to just keep playing through the quest line. Items get better and you start getting a lot (relatively) of orbs/scrolls to drop. You're probably not going to get super mega awesome items at level 20 so just keep leveling because the higher level items are more likely to be good.

Personally, my witch is only 40 and I still feel like items of my level are largely a waste of time. Did find my first unique on brutus, though (wondertrap).
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now

I'm trying very hard to follow the 'story'... but I just can't =/
    Game is pretty fun though. The skill forest is definitely something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Yeah, my advice when you're new is to just keep playing through the quest line. Items get better and you start getting a lot (relatively) of orbs/scrolls to drop. You're probably not going to get super mega awesome items at level 20 so just keep leveling because the higher level items are more likely to be good.

Personally, my witch is only 40 and I still feel like items of my level are largely a waste of time. Did find my first unique on brutus, though (wondertrap).
    I think orbs are global drops at any level with the same chance, to be hounest.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I get scrolls of wisdom every other kill now, feels a lot more common than it did at level 5. Could just be perspective, I guess.
    Random casual stuff now

Found my first part of a zone while helping a friend to level through act 1 today where there were mobs (and a rare submerged beneath ground) but unable to be reached as there were no paths to it. After some scratching of my head I grabbed a leap slam gem and jumped over with my shadow. The rare proceeded to drop 2 yellows of decent quality for the level. Whether it was share random luck or there was a bonus to loot for actually getting over there ... I don't know. But having an area inaccessible without skills was a curious discovery.

I got wondertrap off Brutus in cruel yesterday too!
    Moderator of Professions | General Discussion | Diablo 3 | Guild Wars 2
    Please take the time to read the Forum Guidelines & Sig Guidelines

Currently playing: Wildstar | Elder Scrolls Online | Diablo 3 | LoL | Hex TCG
    Steam | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    That's a lot of bodies Fencers. I think that's the same area Chris Kluwe showed an image of (he wanted cake)

I just got to Act 2. The Siren was needlessly hard. As a ranger, I found myself face-tanking her for a few seconds, then run away while my (gear-obtained) health regenerated, then back to face-tanking. repeat 50+ times because I could barely break her shield each time. Then, I think I'm out of the clear. Nope. Can't see anything in the jungle. Hope all the zones aren't like this.
    Siren is a damned fun fight, especially if you solo it.
    It's what a ARPG fight should feel like, enough with the MMO/ God of War telegraphing attacks or AOEs.

If I had to rank boss fights it would be Siren>Piety>Vaal.

Quick question, got a 5 slot bow and only 3 links. Is there any way to add more links?

Also my build has finally started to come around but I'm still not sure on when to dip into Blood Magic. Is there a HP, regen, LL magic number to aim for?
    Last edited by Diocassius; 2013-02-07 at 11:10 AM.

I get scrolls of wisdom every other kill now, feels a lot more common than it did at level 5. Could just be perspective, I guess.
    As I understand it, orb and scroll drop chance is the same globally but you get a drop chance penalty if you outlevel the area, increasing the more you outlevel it. This is to prevent fast farming orbs by taking that level 50 toon to faceroll Act I normal.

Could be that you leveled up "too much" at first (easile happens if you explore a lot) and now you're sticking to your own level more.

To add more links, you have to use Orbs of Fusing and hope that it gives you that perfect link to every slot. On the other hand you could find it giving you suddenly 0 links. You'll likely go through quite a few to get all 5 together, you might have more luck with a six slot and trying to get 5 of them linked for example.

Gives you some idea on where you'll be using all your currency though!

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That's why I suspect the tree obfuscation in intentional. Because GGG could easily not have that happen.

Also before GGG bumped up the random factor on Act II areas in POE there were zones with far less trees/foliage. So maybe that was intentional too-- to make places like Dark Forest feel more cramped than in CBT.

Then there are places like the Thicket that can spawn relatively clear of trees or so many trees they are all-up-in-your-face. So to speak.

Just speculation on my part. GGG hasn't said anything about it that I know of. Only that they made some maps more "random". Obviously the engine can fade objects if so desired.
    Hm, good point. I also did notice the pathing between trees is very off along with mobs getting 'stuck.'

Now, this may be a stupid question but how exactly do you know when to upgrade? I have some very bad boots but they are four linked with the right colors so I've been using them forever. Tonight, I got unique boots with just a red socket so I used 8 fusing's, 4 jeweller's, and 12 chromatics to get somewhat similar sockets.

My DPS for my single target skill is 578 with this setup

Since I'm lacking the right colors and links, my DPS in these boots was like 435. I tried to use chromatics and messed it up more before I wanted to screenshot.

So, did I derp trying to create the perfect item at level 36? Did I just waste all those mats?

Quote Originally Posted by Laikai View Post
    To add more links, you have to use Orbs of Fusing and hope that it gives you that perfect link to every slot. On the other hand you could find it giving you suddenly 0 links. You'll likely go through quite a few to get all 5 together, you might have more luck with a six slot and trying to get 5 of them linked for example.

Gives you some idea on where you'll be using all your currency though!
    Ah, thx.
    Used 3 already and all I managed to do is move one of the links around between slots, so I thought I was using the wrong kind of orb.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    Quick question, got a 5 slot bow and only 3 links. Is there any way to add more links?
    There is no guaranteed way to add links but Orb of Fusing will re-roll all the links. You may end up with fewer links, the same number of links or more links which means you'll be spending a lot on the item before you end up with all 5 skills linked.

Also my build has finally started to come around but I'm still not sure on when to dip into Blood Magic. Is there a HP, regen, LL magic number to aim for?
    I've been doing just fine in hardcore going straight for Blood Magic. At first you'll lose life when casting but you can fill your belt with life pots and constantly drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    I got wondertrap off Brutus in cruel yesterday too!
    Rigged

@jaakkeli
    That does make sense, actually.
    Random casual stuff now

Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    Siren is a damned fun fight, especially if you solo it.
    It's what a ARPG fight should feel like, enough with the MMO/ God of War telegraphing attacks or AOEs.

If I had to rank boss fights it would be Siren>Piety>Vaal.
    Really? I think Siren is the worst by far. She casts her spells far too often. Get max res and all you need to do is not get into melee with her and ZzzzzZZzzz your way through. Her second form is now even worse than before. Some classes barely have a chance to clean up the adds before she spawns new ones. Hitting her takes ages but isn't interesting, just extremely tedious.

The Unstoppable Force I change my name a lot's Avatar
    Well I pretty must destroyed the game all though I still need to link in my OP bow and get to 100 other then that my char is perfect *maniacal laughter*

OP bow is OP Kekeke

8.5k frenzy DPS 6.6k with split arrow? Ridiculous haha!! /brag :P and all it took was me trading for hours /gouges eyes out It's like I bid on an exalted right then someone is like F YOU APATHY Exalted+6 chaos orbs

-.-

Oh and I made that bow from an alchemy best day EVER
    Last edited by I change my name a lot; 2013-02-07 at 01:19 PM.

I started a Witch recently and looted my first orange item straight off the bat from Hillock outside Lioneye

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    You get a penalty on currency drops when you out level the content by two levels, it's quite noticeable difference if you over level for 20 levels as opposed to staying within those two levels for the same duration.
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

Quote Originally Posted by I-NO View Post
    Well I pretty must destroyed the game all though I still need to link in my OP bow and get to 100 other then that my char is perfect *maniacal laughter*

OP bow is OP Kekeke

8.5k frenzy DPS 6.6k with split arrow? Ridiculous haha!! /brag :P and all it took was me trading for hours /gouges eyes out It's like I bid on an exalted right then someone is like F YOU APATHY Exalted+6 chaos orbs

-.-

Oh and I made that bow from an alchemy best day EVER
    oh god.. insane bow lol! incredible attack speed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by I-NO View Post
    ~snip~
    You know, I'm still jelly...

Freaking archer mobs hurt a lot on Cruel