They have not added a mode and they broke the old way of identifying sockets

old

And the new

As you can see the old sockets had notches with which to identify them

I liked the notches. Thought it was a great visual theme and offered easy consistently. Fairly basic/primary too; RedGreenBlue | SquareCircleTriangle.

Not sure why GGG went with an inferior system of visualization.

What's that sign in the middle of the skill tree about?
    Feels like a 7'th "premium" character class coming once beta ends.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Been there for as long as i can remember , the have never said it would be another class and if it is going to be it won't be premium as that would be considered to be pay to win which they avoid

Looks like a serious buff to evasion and greater pressure on character accuracy coming...

Because 0.11.2 contains changes to the Ranger part of the passive tree, we've deeply examined how Evasion and Accuracy work in Path of Exile. Some changes have been made to how those values occur on monsters.

The first thing that became apparent was that dexterity-based monster had enough Accuracy to act as very hard counter to player Evasion. If you evade 50% of the time at level 50 but encounter a Ghost (which is a heavily dexterity-oriented monster), they'd be able to hit you around 70% of the time. Evasion based characters often prematurely ended their adventures in Wraeclast when they ran into groups of Flicker Striking ghosts.

In 0.11.2 we are making several changes to monster Accuracy and Evasion. We are completely removing Accuracy bonuses for dexterity-based monsters. Magic and Rare Monsters can still receive increases to accuracy from their mods but overall monster categories will no longer just wreck Evasion characters. As a contrast to this, dexterity-based monsters now demonstrate their dexterity by evading more than they did before.

Accuracy and Evasion values on monsters at higher levels have been heavily reduced. The exponential increases monsters gained made stacking Accuracy and Evasion a losing battle. Now if you choose to stack these values you will be rewarded with better chances to hit and evade.

This change has made a big difference to high level play. It has many beneficial consequences like increasing the value of good Rare Thicket Bows relative to Lioneye's Glare.

Here's another snippet from the new (still not final!) Ranger section of the tree.

Have a great weekend!
    http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/461242

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Long ago, all classes started in the middle. The design is a legacy element of that. No class is planned to occupy that slot.

Very nice news on the Evasion/Accuracy changes. I can't wait for this patch, as my two (currently) favorite melee characters are Rangers.

So I found a 6 socket Vaal regalia the other day and threw 1 fusing on it and got a 6 link, sold that which enabled me to buy a Shaveronne's that I decided to throw a stack of jeweller's on just to see if I could 6 socket it, 9 jeweller's in I got it and decided to use up 10 fusings for the hell of it and 6 linked it in 8.

Don't think I'll ever see that kind of luck ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yeah I saw that, impressive how fast he got it. I'm still at the very least a week or two away from completing it, a bit dependent on how fast I can sell the 6L Shav's to get the 8 missing uniques.

I will trade 1 Redbeak for a 6L Shav. PM me.

It's unbelievable just how many people don't actually read stuff in this game or are completely unaware of mechanic which effect them, the new unique flask has had a load of "bug" reports because people don't know the mechanics behind buff mods on recourse flasks and keep the blinkers on despite it saying during flask effect.

I will trade 1 Redbeak for a 6L Shav. PM me.
    Hehe, last I checked Redbeak wasn't worth 45 exalted

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    Hehe, last I checked Redbeak wasn't worth 45 exalted
    Mine is 3L, +20% quality!

I'm kind of digging the new Ranger tree, though I do need to run a few races with it as that's where the biggest impact will be, for me at least. I will say that the boost to mana early on is a very nice boon, and the ability to navigate the starting area has improved as well. I also like a few of the other changed to the nearby tree, though moving Gymnastics to the inside bummed me out a bit.

Yeah, the ranger tree now has some omg hard hitters.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

i didn't see the change to iron reflexes no longer taking into account the evasion from dexterity...some big qq there, hardly made a dent in my LA ranger...think i dropped maybe 5% damage reduction.
    Trying a sword and board full evasion ranger atm but the lack of gear with resists is killing me atm...game seems hell bent on not giving me lightning resist or fire resist, so far though i have about 60% evasion, ondar's guile for double projectile evasion, 45% block and almost at the dodge part of the tree...only have 500 health atm as well though...after that i'll be heading over to the life nodes in the marauder and templar area...quite fun so far...even if double strike likes to make me desync, if i even manage to get multi strike and a link i think i'll be going with double strike, added phys, added fire, faster attacks, life on hit and stun

Great post on how GGG views game balance went up last night: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/468826

Quote Originally Posted by Qarl
    I was asked in this thread to comment on our balance decisions and how we approach balance in Path of Exile. I started writing up a reply, which turned out quite long before I even covered my first point, so I will make my comment in a multi-part post.

This first part covers the general balance philosophies of the game. In the next part I will talk about the passive tree. After that, I’d be keen to talk about progression, and balance for specific playstyles. Later on, I’d like to get into the specific numbers, and balance of specific game stats.

The free to play games that have been successful (like League of Legends or MapleStory, for example) and the games with online persistent economies (for example Eve Online or World of Warcraft), have been ones that have evolved over time. They have regular updates, additional content, and an evolving metagame. These changes keeps players involved in the game.

This is the kind of success we are interested in, so we do intend to add more content, more skills, and more keystones. We also expect the balance to change, with different elements of the game waxing and waning in strength over time.

We want decisions about your character build to really matter. Part of this stems from the game being, to a very strong extent, about items. For them to be important, the items your character wears need to matter. We don't want items to be strictly tiered and transitive in nature. In many games, you want the gear for your class, and then you want to keep upgrading the tier of those items, until you get the maximum tier item for your character. While this does work for those very character-centred games, in Path of Exile we want the items to take more of the limelight. Items are not just supporting pieces to a class progression you walk through.

We want items to have intransitive relationships, as well as transitive ones. Intransitive means that the items are not comparable by strictly looking for bigger numbers. Rock-paper-scissors is a game with intransitive relationships between the moves, as opposed to a game where a bigger number always wins. So, for intransitive relationships between gear, sometimes we will want an item with smaller numbers for specific purposes. The answer I most like to see to the question “Which of these two items should I wear?” is “It depends.”

If the gear your character uses matters, then how you build your character matters. We also want character build decisions to matter, because it fits the style of game we like to play.

This leads to few things that impact how we handle balance:

(1) Decisions matter. You can make your character better by making better decisions about its build. As this is possible, you make your character worse by the decisions you make. So, in this case, balance isn't about making everything equal. Having decisions matter means that randomly built characters tend to be much weaker than ones that are well thought out. (Although, it should be noted that we want to make it easy for people to see what they need for their character, and have early paths of strength obvious).

(2) Synergistic options. These create a great deal of potential for making a good character by choice. The game system has to allow for different things to work together in positive ways. This makes balance more difficult, as things cannot be balanced in a vacuum.

(3) Build versatility and emergence. We want players to have lots of tools available to them, and we want them to be able to be combined in different ways. A player has access to gear stats, skills, supports, keystones and flasks, all with interacting elements. This gives a lot of flexibility, and leads to players being able to discover emergent things that had not been considered. We design to make this possible. We try to make things in a way that allows for interesting things to happen. Things would be much easier to balance if we restricted players’ options.

As the game has this kind of emergence, many of our balance decisions have to be reactive. We have to react to balance problems that crop up due to how the game is played. This is not the only way we balance, but it has to be a factor. If something becomes too dominant, it has to be addressed.

An example of an emergent thing we didn’t expect making the game better would something like Ruby Flasks being used as a moderator for Righteous Fire characters. An example of something that needed to be balanced after being introduced would be the first versions of multistrike (and multicast), that dominated the game immediately after being added.

On the flipside of this, we sometimes balance things based on their perceived weakness, even though we know they are actually much stronger. We have to be careful with this, though, as it can come back to hurt us (and lead to reactive nerfs as the power gets discovered).

An example of us not buffing something "known to be weak" is Eldritch Battery. We had players demanding this be strengthened for a long time, but we did not change it, as we had seen it being used well. In the last few months, the community view of the power of this Keystone has basically reversed with no change to it. Burn damage also fits this; we were told for a long time that it was the worst status ailment, and that it needed to be buffed. We knew it was strong, and did not change it. Over time, it has gone from being considered very weak to very strong without us changing it. All that changed was the discovery of its usefulness.

(4) Build-based characters, not class-based. The synergistic options and versatility and decisions mattering are things we value. They don't make things that easy. The freedom players have in making their characters makes it very easy for players to converge on imbalances in the game. Very slight imbalances between options can result in characters gravitating to very similar builds very quickly. We work to avoid that, but our players are very canny. We are sometimes told that there are only a very few builds that work in high-level play, but when we look at high-level characters, there are more builds represented here than in many similar games. However, when players do converge on similar options, we need to make changes that can be less than popular.

Our players usually start our game thinking in terms of the class they choose first, and then work out what builds they can do. After playing for a while, they start to think in terms of build, and then work out which class best supports the build they want to make. Because of these two styles of play, it changes how we approach balance changes to the passive tree.

I’ll talk more about passive tree balance and development in a followup post.
    So communicative and transparent.

Great post on how GGG views game balance went up last night: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/468826

So communicative and transparent.
    I saw that, and that was only a partial post from Qarl

10+ Year Old Account
    Working on a new build and I have a question that I don't see answered in the official forums: does anybody know if the minion damage passives increase the damage of the degen bears' chaos damage aura?

Here's the build I'm working on, if anybody's interested. I'm toying with the idea of a hunter-esque character that uses Poison Arrow, a degen bear Specter, and Vulnerability. Would also use a Summon Skeletons totem to provide a buffer so the degen bear isn't focused on.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    Working on a new build and I have a question that I don't see answered in the official forums: does anybody know if the minion damage passives increase the damage of the degen bears' chaos damage aura?

Here's the build I'm working on, if anybody's interested. I'm toying with the idea of a hunter-esque character that uses Poison Arrow, a degen bear Specter, and Vulnerability. Would also use a Summon Skeletons totem to provide a buffer so the degen bear isn't focused on.
    I believe minion damage passives effect the default attacks of the raised monsters. While gems can effect either the primary or secondary functions of the raised monsters.

That is to say, the maul/swipe physical attack of the bears is what isgets boosted by passives in the tree. However, gems can effect the primary and secondary type of attacks/abilities of the raised monsters such as Increased Duration for curse casting monsters or Chain for projectile casters, etc.

In playing a summoner for so long, I suspect that gems like Increased AOE or Conc Effect are more likely to effect the aura of a bear than Minion Damage or minion damage passives. This is based on my observation that the only method to effect the dynamics of a monster's skill set is with a gem that would logically effect or change the parameters of similar player skill. I.E. Chain linked to Fireball or Melee Splash linked to Heavy Strike, etc.