Stood in the Fire SaltLakeAtrocity's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Good FPS Recommendation for Out-of-the-Loop Player?

It's honestly been years since I've really been a FPS player, as in before the advent of the current generation of consoles. They weren't the phenomenon they are now when I played them (except for maybe when the first two Halo games came out). Red Faction 2 was the game I remember enjoying the most back then, despite its status as being almost completely unheard of by most people. I played and Enjoyed Half-Life 1 and 2, messed around with Doom 3, and played the first Killzone when that came out; as well as several console Medal of Honor games. Of course, classics like Perfect Dark and Goldeneye defined my perception of the genre as well.

Long story short, I'm trying to get back into the FPS vibe, but the list of high-profile games is a bit overwhelming to say the least. Especially considering I can be rather picky about FPSs for a 60$ impulse buy, and high-profile doesn't necessarily mean good.

I currently own a Playstation 3 and a high-end Mac computer. Coming from the age of split-screen multiplayer, my favorite FPSs are centered around low-volume multiplayer, usually just a handful of people (around 3 to 5). I enjoy large customization to multiplayer options (ie: the choice between a 5 minute death match, or a more intense 20 minute objective-based play, with other options in between). And in general I seem to enjoy science-fiction based shooters more than war/military shooters, probably cause I enjoy games with interesting weapons rather than run-of-the-mill pistol/shotgun/automatic/rocket launcher gameplay found in military games.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by SaltLakeAtrocity; 2012-07-01 at 10:00 PM.
    -- We'll Dance As The Palaces Burn --

Tribes: Ascend is very popular now and has a sci-fi theme. It's also free to start.

https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/

I am however unsure if you can play on Mac.