No clue what to do with my life.

So I am 22 and I have no clue what I want to do. I dropped out of high school due to medical issues and being way behind, got GED and got a job.

I am interested in network engineering and banking, and accounting, and Engineering. The thing is I haven't done math in so long I can not gauge my abilities in math to really follow through with engineering. It doesn't help school is so expensive. I found one school that offers network engineering degrees and it's 120k. I don't want to be steeped in debt once I get into a career.

I want to work with people and I believe I would be good at managing people; however, these type of jobs don't seem to be growing. I don't want to end up like most people that graduate and without a job either. Was interested in being an actuary, job prospects are high with close to 100% having a job upon graduation; however, the math.

Also wanted to be a financial advisor at one point but.. I have no idea anymore really.

I am good with coming up with ideas and fixes for everyday things. I really would love to be an inventor for a living. Pretty sure if all my ideas or some of them were out i would be happy and well off. Which makes me question, should I just pick a nice paying job with good prospects, save money and pursue inventing and building my own business. Or should I get a business degree do the same and then build my own business, or becoming someone who has the technical knowledge to build his own prototypes and build a business? The last one... math, I was good at math at one point but now, no clue.
    Last edited by Themius; 2012-07-02 at 12:52 AM.

Not too sure what to tell ya to do with choosing your career path, as I find myself wondering to the same thing some times. BUT if you have a local community college or junior college around you, you can sign up for remedial math classes to kind of gauge where you're actually at in that field, without risk of hurting your GPA. Not to mention most of those classes are far cheaper than your average college class.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    if you get a technology/engineering/applicable math based education you should have no trouble finding a job that pays decently.. notice I didn't say instant 1%.. I said pays decently.. management type jobs are typically acquired by word of mouth or by internal promotion.. if a company is posting management positions in the local paper or online it's probably because it has a high turnover rate..

either way.. it sounds like you are pointed in the right direction.. you just have to do it.. and because you will probably be asked over and over as to why you didn't get a high school diploma.. find a way to explain that in a manner that a business could benefit from
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    if you get a technology/engineering/applicable math based education you should have no trouble finding a job that pays decently.. notice I didn't say instant 1%.. I said pays decently.. management type jobs are typically acquired by word of mouth or by internal promotion.. if a company is posting management positions in the local paper or online it's probably because it has a high turnover rate..

either way.. it sounds like you are pointed in the right direction.. you just have to do it.. and because you will probably be asked over and over as to why you didn't get a high school diploma.. find a way to explain that in a manner that a business could benefit from
    Well when I was actually active in school I constantly failed the actual class while on every test I scored near perfect scores. When it came to state test I also scored near perfect (1-2 questions wrong). I basically had medical issues for a few months was out of school for 4-5 months and failed everything. Also had no motivation because my school was suppose to gear all my classes to computer programming; however, it filled up and they never told me and I ended up in executive assistance classes. Which was totally, not where where I wanted to be.

I learn very fast and most people I meet seem to think "you're so intelligent you must be doing x" or "you're so good with computers you must be in x" but alas no, I'm in nothing. Getting quite restless I want to just DO something, but at the same time I don't want to waste money and time so it's a careful process. My friend is several 10k in debt because she went to school to be something she wasn't sure about and is now doing more time in school than necessary.

I mean... when it comes to math is it something that you learn and become good at or is it also partly how you function in day to day life?

in all honesty you dont need a degree to get into the tech field, you can easily get certified by taking tests. tests from Cisco or Microsoft or CompTIA. the tests average around $150 and range 2-8 exams per certification depending on which one your going for. With the certifications the companies generally know exactly what they are hiring and are more likely to hire you.

im currently studying for my CompTIA A++, ive been to tech schools, dropped out of college because i realized i didnt need the degree for my career path.

not saying the schooling will be totally not worth it or worthless, but a career path in the IT world is surrounded by the certifications, generally a entry level IT Networking job, you will start out with a higher salary with only the certifications rather than if you had only a degree.
    01000001 01101110 01110100 01100101 00100000 01001101 01100101 01110010 01101001 01100100 01101001 01100101 01101101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110010 01100101 01100011 01110010 01110101 01101001 01110100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100001 00100000 01100001 01101101 01110111 01101111 01110111 00101110 01101110 01100101 01110100

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    So I am 22 and I have no clue what I want to do. I dropped out of high school due to medical issues and being way behind, got GED and got a job.
    My sympathies, but 22 is super young so don't worry about it. I dropped out of University at age 25 due to illness (one course from Graduation), and cannot afford to get back. I'm 31, still struggling with illness, and still don't know what to do with my life ha

You seem sure of the direction that you want to take, just not sure how. Finances are an issue. My recommendation is to look into local community colleges/smaller schools. Many have short courses (4-8 months) in business, accounting, and other math-related fields. Many are very inexpensive compared with other colleges and university. Find out what you have in your area, and read the course descriptions. Hopefully something will jump out for you and you'll have that "ahah" moment that you need.

You may graduate, get a job, and decide to upgrade later on. Schooling + work will give you a better idea of the direction that you want to head in, or you'll learn what you definitely don't want to do. In the meantime you'll gain school + work experience, which is never a bad thing in the work world.

Lastly, a friend of mine at your age was in the same position, with the same interests. He joined the Navy, and loves it; he's mostly into engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirse View Post
    My sympathies, but 22 is super young so don't worry about it. I dropped out of University at age 25 due to illness (one course from Graduation), and cannot afford to get back. I'm 31, still struggling with illness, and still don't know what to do with my life ha

You seem sure of the direction that you want to take, just not sure how. Finances are an issue. My recommendation is to look into local community colleges/smaller schools. Many have short courses (4-8 months) in business, accounting, and other math-related fields. Many are very inexpensive compared with other colleges and university. Find out what you have in your area, and read the course descriptions. Hopefully something will jump out for you and you'll have that "ahah" moment that you need.

You may graduate, get a job, and decide to upgrade later on. Schooling + work will give you a better idea of the direction that you want to head in, or you'll learn what you definitely don't want to do. In the meantime you'll gain school + work experience, which is never a bad thing in the work world.

Lastly, a friend of mine at your age was in the same position, with the same interests. He joined the Navy, and loves it; he's mostly into engineering.
    I am thinking of taking some remedial math classes to catch up. I have heard of many people taking remedial math classes because they weren't so good at math go on to become very good at math and move into engineering. I am interested in engineering and when I was younger the types of jobs I wanted were in chemical engineering but I didn't know exactly what industry it was back then. My math is the only thing that's holding me back.

ninjapaws

I actually started studying to take the ccna.
    Last edited by Themius; 2012-07-02 at 12:41 PM.

At your young age, i highly suggest you look into joining the military. You can join (for example) the army core of engineers. Not only do you not have to pay for the education, there are so many benefits and experiences that are unlike any other.

Quote Originally Posted by Sealed Shut View Post
    At your young age, i highly suggest you look into joining the military. You can join (for example) the army core of engineers. Not only do you not have to pay for the education, there are so many benefits and experiences that are unlike any other.
    I'd need to lose weight first.

In the mean time I am on khanacademy doing some math stuff.

Join the military in one of those career fields. While in the military take as many classes you can for free. Then when you get out use the gi bill to take more schooling if need be. I know many people who have done 2 year degrees while in and then doing another 2/4 year or finishing up there degree when they get out.

I got out when I was 22 moved around a bit then settled down 2 year later and got a degree in computers. I have 0 dollars in school debt, a degree, and a nice state job making bank in IT department. Military is a good way for college to be payed for. I also was out of school for a while and had to start with remedial math and I was one class behind on English. I just did classes during the summer to make up for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I'd need to lose weight first.
    You may not have to lose a lot for the Navy. My friend Joey was probably 60lbs overweight when he joined the Navy, and lost it during training.
    -I have 2 friends in the Navy
    -both love it
    -one is really book smart and is Engineer. The other is more street smart, and takes on more leadership positions
    -both are rich. One is 30 and owns a huge house. The other is 24 and can buy almost anything that he wants, and regularly visits his family across Canada

There is, of course, risk involved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want to do. Military isn't for everyone, and you have a nice idea. You should try getting grants and loans for a cheaper school. And banking, I believe, does not really require any education to get into.

Thank you guys for comments

I am just doing some math and it's quite fun again... not fun when you forget and don't understand things lol. I am going to work back up to calculus and then sign up for engineering at local cc. Hopefully all goes smoothly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you know what you want to do champ, you have an interest and should try pursue that further. Like the above people suggested, maybe take a course in college, brush back up on your maths, or even the Open University for a degree in your own time (not sure if that's available everywhere). Good luck.