so i have some questions on when best to use Execution Sentence and how long to delay it.

how long should i delay ES to line it up with GOAK? right now im delaying it a max of ~20 seconds and only when i have 20 stacks
    how long should i delay ES to line up with Avenging Wrath? right now i delay it if AV is off CD but not if its on CD
    how long should i delay ES to line up with Fabled Feather of Ji-Kun?
    how long should i delay ES to line up with Spark of Zandalar?

also currently i am a JC/BS and am thinking of going Engineering/BS, i currently am progressing through normal with plans to for heroic progression asap (we are still filling out raid team) in 5.2 as well as 5.3 and am trying to get the most i can out of my pally. i currently have Spark of Zandalar, Fabled Feather of Ji-Kun (both 522) so i will not be locked out of any on use trinkets. what do you all think, is it worth losing all the JC stuff and spending the gold to go Engineering? or is there a better profession to replace JC with/should i keep JC?

thanks for the help =D
    -Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Rikhx View Post
    Amazing how much heroic feather, weapon and 4pc can do for you. 152k dps with just 524ilvl. Too bad we still do private logs (((
    Yea its awesome. Managed to pull 158k dps on Megaera 10hc (rank 1 yay ) this reset whit only 523ilvl

Quote Originally Posted by Freppi View Post
    Yea its awesome. Managed to pull 158k dps on Megaera 10hc (rank 1 yay ) this reset whit only 523ilvl
    Probably because you're like the only ret in 10-man heroics. Just a slight exaggeration.

Deleted
    Chaining Wraths eh? Never considered that. Will try that next week. Chances are the feral will give me symbiosis for bubble. Usually I'm not one to use my bubble on things that can be avoided (fps lag not withstanding) but if it'll lead to a DPS increase, sign me up

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintpauller View Post
    so i have some questions on when best to use Execution Sentence and how long to delay it.

how long should i delay ES to line it up with GOAK? right now im delaying it a max of ~20 seconds and only when i have 20 stacks
    how long should i delay ES to line up with Avenging Wrath? right now i delay it if AV is off CD but not if its on CD

also currently i am a JC/BS and am thinking of going Engineering/BS, i currently am progressing through normal with plans to for heroic progression asap (we are still filling out raid team) in 5.2 as well as 5.3 and am trying to get the most i can out of my pally. i currently have Spark of Zandalar, Fabled Feather of Ji-Kun (both 522) so i will not be locked out of any on use trinkets. what do you all think, is it worth losing all the JC stuff and spending the gold to go Engineering? or is there a better profession to replace JC with/should i keep JC?

thanks for the help =D
    -Paint
    I wanted to post this earlier today, but because I was on my phone my login timed out.

basically, what you want to do is maximize the AP you have when casting ES. this means that sometimes, it's better to delay ES so you get more from it later, and sometimes it's better to cast it before feather has stacked to full, for example, because you're about to lose a spell that would give you more AP than the remaining stacks of feather would give you.

rule of thumb: if you're certain you're getting a spark proc in the next 7 seconds (can monitor stacks for it), or if feather is already stacking, it's fine to delay it.

math: it does about 3X your AP (technically 6X your SP) in damage with an additional 13K. it has a 60 second CD. so it does 300% of AP + 13K every 60 seconds. expressed in DPS, that's 5% of AP + 200. so for every 5% of AP that you would gain, you can delay it for another second (within reason of course). if you have 40K AP, you can delay it for 2K AP per second. this is less than what feather gives per stack, so delaying ES until feather is stacked to max is always beneficial. spark gives 7.3K STR, or 15K AP, so ES can be delayed for 7 seconds if you are certain Spark will proc in that time. I also think that it's okay to lose a cast of ES through multiple delayings, but I don't know for sure. If someone else can do the math for this, i'd be delighted.

edit: I keep having the idea that there's something wrong with my math, but I can't put my finger on it exactly.
    Last edited by mmocb0245d6bcb; 2013-04-21 at 06:23 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintpauller View Post

thanks for the help =D
    -Paint
    Drop JC and get engi asap. Any raider that doesn't have engi, no matter what class you are, are missing out on so much it's not even funny. Just a random thing like the Goblin Glider can save you a feather use on the Ji-kun encounter if you're in a group that's up flying killing a lot of nests. Synapse spring also lines up perfectly with ES every single time so you gain the most out engi when counting the "320 stat gain" from professions.

JC is also really bad since you want to gem haste in most sockets, JC only gives 480haste on the special ones so you're forced to go with 320 str which is a loss compared to any other profession.

This is probably a retarded question but, does GoAK and Execution Sentence take a snapshot of your stats??

Quote Originally Posted by mels View Post
    This is probably a retarded question but, does GoAK and Execution Sentence take a snapshot of your stats??
    Guardian, I believe is dynamic. But ES definitely snapshots. It's part of what make engi/feather such strong things for a ret paladin.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Regen View Post
    Guardian, I believe is dynamic. But ES definitely snapshots. It's part of what make engi/feather such strong things for a ret paladin.
    Yes, that's correct. Light's Hammer is also dynamic, because it's technically a totem.

Guys, quick question. haven't been lucky at all with trinkets this tier but got the lfr feather, replaced it with 2/2 normal MSV trinket and now i'm not sure about the second trinket slot, Should i pick 522 VP trinket, 2/2 relic or 2/2 normal MSV trinket into the second slot. Feather is still kind of a sick so i will def keep that one over any of the trinkets i have atm, but have a dilemma about the second slot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kbryant8 View Post
    Guys, quick question. haven't been lucky at all with trinkets this tier but got the lfr feather, replaced it with 2/2 normal MSV trinket and now i'm not sure about the second trinket slot, Should i pick 522 VP trinket, 2/2 relic or 2/2 normal MSV trinket into the second slot. Feather is still kind of a sick so i will def keep that one over any of the trinkets i have atm, but have a dilemma about the second slot.
    If for your gear the expertise of VP trink isnt a total waste then go for it, 2/2 MSV is still good.

Quote Originally Posted by bacildaf View Post
    If for your gear the expertise of VP trink isnt a total waste then go for it, 2/2 MSV is still good.
    Umm, the gear is pretty bad compared to the gear what is out atm but still trying to work myself up there, started raiding again after few months of not doing anything.
    If it helps by statwise then armory link is here aswell. eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/outland/M%C3%A4thew/simple
    Exp cap seems okay but still not sure what to use, VP trinket or 2/2 MSV normal one. damn thoughts !

Deleted
    since exp cap is fine i would use the VP trink over the normal 2/2 version of MSV.

Deleted
    Hi everyone !
    I'm relatively new as a ret pal so I was wondering about some specific questions that came to my mind and even if I've already some answers a sanity check would be welcome !

At which haste level can I consider myself as bad/ok/good ? Currently I'm at 9.1k haste.
    Should I delay or refresh early Inq as clcinfo suggests me ? (i.e : I'm at 3 HP, inq expires soon but I can squeeze 1 or 2 more HP generator)

On Megaera if I can sometimes hit 2 targets should I use HotR/DS instead of CS/TV ?
    More generally on fight with 2 targets (Megaera, Twin Consorts, etc.) is it always a DPS gain to always judge a different target (with double jeopardy) ? Even if the second target benefits no debuffs ?
    Should I try to keep censure stacks on the 2 targets ? At which cost ?

I've 3 major STR proc (shadopan trinket, zandalar trinket and dancing steel) I've come to understand the importance of delaying ES cast to align it with proc but at which extends can I delay the ES ? (e.g : in a 3mins windows 3 buffs ES > 4 regular ES ? ro as a rule of thumb 3 mins = 4 ES no matter what ?)

Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by Rikhx View Post
    Just a random thing like the Goblin Glider can save you a feather use on the Ji-kun encounter if you're in a group that's up flying killing a lot of nests.
    How can I save a feather with the glider?

Quote Originally Posted by Freppi View Post
    How can I save a feather with the glider?
    on upper platforms, wait until there's 3-4 seconds until the next feed young -> jump with goblin glider -> swirl around over Ji'kun and get buff without using feather.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    on upper platforms, wait until there's 3-4 seconds until the next feed young -> jump with goblin glider -> swirl around over Ji'kun and get buff without using feather.
    No, you glider from the middle nest to the side nest. Then use your extra feather to get Nutrients to dps boss before your next nest.

Quote Originally Posted by Revvo View Post
    No, you glider from the middle nest to the side nest. Then use your extra feather to get Nutrients to dps boss before your next nest.
    Guess it depends on the tactic you use. What I said works fine.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Since this seems to be the most active ret thread I'd like to throw something out there.

Would prioritizing TV over CS when our 4pT15 proc to minimize wasted procs be a DPS increase or would the delay in our HP generation end up being a dps decrease?

yes it will