Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    The only must have imo is much freedom of choice and customization. It's harder to balance, but more fun, which is much more important to me at least.
    Last edited by mmoca8137cd402; 2012-07-03 at 08:18 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought SWTOR had a pretty cool setup.

Melee Tank
    Ranged Tank
    Melee Physical DPS
    Ranged Physical DPS
    Melee Spell DPS
    Ranged Spell DPS
    Healer

But My all time favorite class setup was EQ2. It gave alot of options for how you wanted to play. (really a shame that game died out)

Guardian - Defensive tank
    Berserker - Offensive tank
    Monk/bruiser - Avoidance tank
    Paladin/shadowknight - Spell Tanks

Templar/Inquisitor - Reactive healer (heals when damaged, like earth shield)
    Warden/Fury - HoT Healer (aka druids)
    Mystic/Defiler - Preventive healer (uses Wards/shields, like a priest)

Coercer/Illusionist - Spell controllers/debuffers
    Mage/Warlock - Spell heavy hitters
    Necromancer/Conjurer - spell pet summoners

Assassin - melee physical heavy hitter
    Ranger - ranged physical heavy hitter
    Swashbuckler/Brigand - melee quick attack dps
    Troubadour/Dirge - melee physical controllers/debuffer. (also the fastest running class in the game; could outrun horses on foot)

Of course, then there was SWG. where you could pretty much do anything you wanted. You had ~200 talent points (or something like that) and you could put them into any tree. Like imagine making a mage on wow, and being able to put points into Druids healing, a couple points in Warlocks for dots, maybe a few in rogue and warrior. You could be a jack of all trades/master of none, or you could specialize in certain weapons and be extremely deadly with that one aspect.

Bards please. I want to play an instrument again and liven the spirits of my group.

They need less stealth classes or they need to create and actual counter to stealth like in rev wards in MOBA games.
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    They need less stealth classes or they need to create and actual counter to stealth like in rev wards in MOBA games.
    Permanent stealth is one of the worst abominations to exist in a MMO, especially a MMO with PvP in it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Permanent stealth is one of the worst abominations to exist in a MMO, especially a MMO with PvP in it.
    It depends how it is pulled off, really. I prefer tactical combat, so setting up ambushes is pretty exciting for me. I do think stealth classes should be unable to hide for a while once they unveil themselves, though. The 'vanish' mechanic is pretty irritating and cheap in my eyes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tak
    Healer
    Physical Striker
    Magic Striker
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Of course, especially when every single game implements it as some kind of invisibility anyway.

On topic - there is not even need to have any classes to do a good MMO game. (True even for RPG games)

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    the more common a class is like the mesmer the less interesting it would be lets keep it unique shall we -.-

i personally prefer mage or a bow user like ranger/archer shame the GW2 mage (i forget the exact name of it) is a bit disappointing[COLOR="red"]

How is the elementalist disappointing in any way? Instead of only being able to use Fire and water spells like on WoW (arcane was garbage), you can use water,fire,earth, and air and there is alot of spells for each. Its the best mage class i've ever seen in a game.

---------- Post added 2012-07-04 at 07:22 PM ----------

Also a new MMO needs to look at DDO's class sytsem. There was Melee, with a bunch of melee classes: like berserker, warrior, blah blah i forget, range: elementalist, cleric, bard, necromancer, and so on Then there was the agile classes: rogue, ranger, etc. I really liked ddos class system because there was so much variety, and you could be a bard and get some ranger talents and use those, or a mages talents. You could mix your class up anyway you wanted.

give me a real good MMO based of shadowrun pen&paper RPG and you'll never need any classes to make it work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clash1 View Post
    There are many MMOs on the market with new ones arriving every year. Some MMOs have more classes, while others tend to consolidate. But, which class archetypes can't be left out of any MMO? Please try to be more specific than Warrior, Rogue, Mage, Cleric. For example, is a Holy Warrior (Paladin,Templar) archetype mandatory these days? Do all mages need to cast Fire spells in your opinion? Should there always be a pet class? I'm just trying to get some insight on player expectations. What should be available and what do you want to play?
    You already said it: Warrior, Mage, Rogue, Cleric. Warriors are the guys wearing metal armor and using big weapons and heavy shields. Mages use fire, ice, lightning, etc. Rogues can use knives or bows and wear leather. Clerics can either be D&D style wearing heavy armor, or they can be more priest-like wearing simple robes.

Those are really the only archetypes any RPG needs. Anything else is just fluff and will probably just make your game harder to balance.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    You already said it: Warrior, Mage, Rogue, Cleric. Warriors are the guys wearing metal armor and using big weapons and heavy shields. Mages use fire, ice, lightning, etc. Rogues can use knives or bows and wear leather. Clerics can either be D&D style wearing heavy armor, or they can be more priest-like wearing simple robes.

Those are really the only archetypes any RPG needs. Anything else is just fluff and will probably just make your game harder to balance.
    Yes, but that would be pretty boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    You always need someone to stealth, you cant have a game without that ability. Nut everything else you need the basic tank, heals, melee and ranged. I would say for tank a paladin or death knight(although they are necromancers so Im not sure if that should go to ranged) cause warriors are basically gladiators. Heals should have a medic or priest. Melee should have assassin, rogue or monk. Ranged should have wizard, Ranger or gunner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but that would be pretty boring.
    How so? Why do you need 34 classes that all essentially do the same thing as everyone else?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

how about why would you have to be pigeonholed to a few generic classes (and their usual characteristics) when there is actually no "need" to?

why would a "warrior" not be able to stealth or cast magic spells?
    why would a "mage" not be able to wear plate armor?
    etc.

There are many MMOs on the market with new ones arriving every year. Some MMOs have more classes, while others tend to consolidate. But, which class archetypes can't be left out of any MMO? Please try to be more specific than Warrior, Rogue, Mage, Cleric. For example, is a Holy Warrior (Paladin,Templar) archetype mandatory these days? Do all mages need to cast Fire spells in your opinion? Should there always be a pet class? I'm just trying to get some insight on player expectations. What should be available and what do you want to play?
    I never understood why you must have classes. I guess it is so people don't have to think. It is far easier to adapt to a role than make it up. Having started with UO and then moving to AC classes were not something you worried about. Your question is odd because you listed what most people consider to be the archetypes and then dived into derivatives.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

A physical melee class which hits with heavy blows, a berserker type of class. Also able to tank.

A physical melee class which hits with swift blows, sustained damage.

A magical ranged class who specializes in spells to take down the enemy.

A ranged class who specializes in artillery weapons, usually fast autoattacks.

A healer who helps keep the whole group alive.

Then you can have multiple variations of the different roles, but in the end I think these are the ones you'll need to have to atleast catter to most people's interests.

None of these options that I've seen so far apply to the DCUO classes(called power sources in game).
    Original Power Sources:
    Fire - Tank (High HP/self heal tank)/AoE DPS
    Ice - Tank (High armour/dmg mitigation)/Heavy Hitting DPS
    Sorcery - Heavy hitting/pet healer and DPS
    Nature - Hot Healer/Shapeshifting dps
    Gadgets - Pet DPS/Controller
    Mental - Weak DPS/Controller

Added with DLCs (In order):
    Light - Stringing powers into combos DPS/Controller
    Electricity - Odd Burst Healing mechanic/DPS
    Earth - Pet Tank/heavy slow hitting DPS

Pirates man Pirates!

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    How so? Why do you need 34 classes that all essentially do the same thing as everyone else?
    Style.

And I don't think you need "34" classes to cover all the bases either. But for example: I enjoy playing a Warrior type class with some magic abilities. Many others enjoy a pure physical Warrior archetype. I enjoy playing a Ranger class, but I dislike pets. Lots of players love the idea of pets and most of the time you see Rangers designed as a mandatory pet class. Options are good.

I'm not so sure about the fully customizable classless design than many have brought up in this thread. It seems to me that would leave the door wide open to class imbalances or cause extreme cookie cutter scenarios.
    Last edited by Clash the DK; 2012-07-07 at 08:02 AM.