Thread: Dutch history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    aha yeah I knew about Suriname to, mostly because loads of good dutch football players got roots from there though :P

It's not a big country! Were yiu there for work or just vacation?
    Work. I didn't get to see any of the touristy areas at all. It was a cool though deeply uncomfortable experience though. Very Vietnam-esque, helicoptering down through the canopy of rainforest trees into the swamp/jungle.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    No, he wouldn't. The US is one of the only countries to not acknowledge the International Criminal Court.
    As a side note, they're also one of the few countries that are not against biochemical warfare. So they're kind of special.

But even if a US citizen was imprisoned in the Netherlands, the US even has a law that lets them rescue that citizen with force.
    How fucked up is that?
    Hmm, i hadn't thought about that. Either way, they wouldn't "rescue" anyone with force out of our country.
    If they did they are going to get some serious shit from nato right back into their faces.

Aka WW3. Not even the US is stupid enough to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    No, he wouldn't. The US is one of the only countries to not acknowledge the International Criminal Court.
    As a side note, they're also one of the few countries that are not against biochemical warfare. So they're kind of special.
    And here I thought the US was a member of the UN...

If they are, then they HAVE to acknowledge the the Hague Tribunal. It's basically the UN court.

10+ Year Old Account
    Proves how little i know of this shit, either way they acknowledge it or not. War/Political Criminal = goes to ICC in pretty much any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasperio View Post
    *They export a whole lot of tulips to the rest of the world, but import alot of meat and milk from Germany and Denmark.
    I don't think we import that much meat and we certainly don't import any milk. we're couldn't have become famous for our cheese if we didn't have milk. We actually have one of the highest milk productions per capita in the world (as far as I can tell we're only beaten by new Zealand and denmark on that front, and possibly some even smaller countries)
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    Hmm, i hadn't thought about that. Either way, they wouldn't "rescue" anyone with force out of our country.
    If they did they are going to get some serious shit from nato right back into their faces.

Nor is the netherlands. As far as I know, we just give them anyone they want.

Proves how little i know of this shit, either way they acknowledge it or not. War/Political Criminal = goes to ICC in pretty much any case.
    Lady Deathwhisper is amazed and intrigued by the various acts of genocide. *insert controversial figure here* has now been hired as an advisor in the cult of the damned.
    A look at the warcraft novels, RPG books, games and magical french space soccer.

Glory to person-whose-name-I-dont-know-but-rules-Kul-Tiras!

10+ Year Old Account

I don't think the US would try to "rescue" someone without a very just seeming cause for someone very important. I think even if they did, it wouldn't be the start of WW3 with NATO, because we have enough allies in NATO that wouldn't want to go to war with us. Besides, they would have no way of crossing the Atlantic to hit us, with our 11 carrier groups, and I doubt they'd be willing to start a nuke-off with the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I don't think the US would try to "rescue" someone without a very just seeming cause for someone very important. I think even if they did, it wouldn't be the start of WW3 with NATO, because we have enough allies in NATO that wouldn't want to go to war with us. Besides, they would have no way of crossing the Atlantic to hit us, with our 11 carrier groups, and I doubt they'd be willing to start a nuke-off with the US.
    Good thing is that we wouldn't ever lock someone up the US would want back so badly anyway. We lock up criminals. Not just anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good thing is that we wouldn't ever lock someone up the US would want back so badly anyway. We lock up criminals. Not just anyone.
    Yup. No argument. This was all hypothetical to begin with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

This part of our history is pretty funny and yet fitting to modern times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    The International Criminal Court, yes.
    Or rather, what makes me snigger when I see it in the papers, ICC.
    Last winter finally makes sense now. We're Northrend. :P

And a little trivia about the 80-year war. The Netherlands technically won that because Spain ran out of money to pay us for their weapons, so we stopped selling them and they had to call it all off... XD

Also, if you like to read some Dutch-isms brought in a humorous manner, there's:
    http://stuffdutchpeoplelike.com/
    And also a book called "The UnDutchables". This is a pretty funny read and a humorous primer for visitors.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    most of my dutch history is just from EU3 im still wondering how the spanish got a bit, and how the dutch united as one... something i should look into

Deleted
    Crazy to think that the Dutch bought Manhattan for just $24 worth of beads and trinkets in 1626, then swapped it with Britain for a small island called Run.

Deleted
    During the 1600s, I know that the dutch navy pwned the english navy when the english ships were still docked in London and they took the english flagship as a prize. That was truly the last successful invasion (it was more of a raid) of mainland Britian. I know that the netherlands were part of the spanish crown for a while but the dutch revolted against spanish rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanx View Post
    most of my dutch history is just from EU3 im still wondering how the spanish got a bit, and how the dutch united as one... something i should look into
    Hey, I play EU3 too!
    Last edited by mmocbde5966b18; 2012-07-03 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    And here I thought the US was a member of the UN...

If they are, then they HAVE to acknowledge the the Hague Tribunal. It's basically the UN court.
    Well they don't. in fact Bush signed the "the hague-invasion act" into law which gives the president the power to "rescue" any americans tried in such a court. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...Protection_Act
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by The North Remembers View Post
    Crazy to think that the Dutch bought Manhattan for just $24 worth of beads and trinkets in 1626, then swapped it with Britain for a small island called Run.
    Which allowed us to also obtain Suriname.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    Well they don't. in fact Bush signed the "the hague-invasion act" into law which gives the president the power to "rescue" any americans tried in such a court. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...Protection_Act
    Bush singned it... is there more that needs to be said ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Hmm, I always think of those 'good old days' when we used to have 80 million citizens.
    We're down to 17 million now.. Damn colonies and their independance xD
    Speaking of which, Independence Day tomorrow! Woohoo! I know it's not independence from you guys, but your post reminded me of it. My boss is Scottish, so I get to give him shit about it.