Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by enphestid View Post
    just dont pick icedwarrior.
    Why's that? What'd I do?

Please be more careful about who you pick, some serious abuse of power on these forums as is.

Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.
    [Pokemon Y Friend Code: 1521-3726-7197]

The Lightbringer judgementofantonidas's Avatar
    Applied.

And notice, bumped my posts on this forum by one!

Lawful good does not always mean Lawful nice

Hey guys. I asked a moderator a long time ago what it was like to be a moderator, and he gave me a great response. I thought I'd share in case any of you guys are on the fence, or just want to know more.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk
    Hey -SNIP name-, I *cough* am under the impression moderators have some sort of ban meetings?

Is it scary being a moderator? I mean having to act a specific way and or deal with your superior administrators?
    Quote Originally Posted by -Name-
    Nah being a moderator isn't too bad. As far as meetings go you're supposed to be in the iirc all the time, but I never am since -SNIP section- has like one report every three days so there are no big issues there. In the more populated sections the iirc helps out a lot as there are constantly bots, spam, and tons of reports about posts. When people are banned they make an appeal post and the MMO-C automatic posting system Scrapbot starts a new thread. Then all the moderators, in truth abut 15 of them that actively check that and a handful of others who check it every day or two, read the appeal, check the users posts that caused the infractions then vote to keep, reverse, or lower/raise the points from the infraction. Not a lot of meeting, more so just dropping off your vote and then they are tallied in the end. When I was a mod before for about 8 months there were only like 2-3 actual disagreements about the severity of infractions. I caused one or two of those as that was the heyday of SWTOR hate and there were like 1-2 guys who would do nothing but start anti-SWTOR threads constantly and I got fed up.
    As for conduct you are supposed to conduct yourself in a more polished fashion, but as long as it is forum appropriate conduct there aren't any issues. It isn't really scary you just have to be really willing to constantly have people post criticism about you if you close their threads, infract them, etc. Some people can be incredibly massive douches over their infractions. The upper level mods are all nice people from my experience. I've talked to Boub 3-4 times and he seems like a nice person. Sunshine and Myr handle most of the day to day forum stuff it seems and they are both easy people to deal with.

Its a lot of fun and it is great being able to take care of spam and idiots in your section rather than having to report it and wait for someone to take care of it at some point. If you mod the more popular sections, especially General OT, WoW OT, and something like SWTOR or GW2 right as they are coming out it can be pretty busy.The system automatically emails you if a post is reported in your sections so you need an independent email address for the site if you are in those sections. When I was modding SWTOR/Video Games/Sports I used to get 30-40 reports per day in the months leading to SWTORs release and the month or two afterward. The GEN-OT mods probably get 10 times that many emails lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Hey guys. I asked a moderator a long time ago what it was like to be a moderator, and he gave me a great response. I thought I'd share in case any of you guys are on the fence, or just want to know more.
    Thanks for sharing. It's good to know how it works before becoming a moderator. As I might or might not be scared of some of the moderators whose names I shall keep to myself *grins*

I'd love to apply, but sadly I can't find the time for it
    So I will, again, be one of the plebs.

I tried to apply but I don't post enough yet :P Even though I log on almost everyday Maybe next time? Good luck to everyone else though!

Quote Originally Posted by Krothar View Post
    Alas, I'm never quite active enough when these Moderation posts come about.
    Just so you know, apps are always open (although we tend to look at them in waves anyway because that lets us see where we actually need mods). You're welcome to apply any time

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Please be more careful about who you pick, some serious abuse of power on these forums as is.
    If you ever have issues, you're welcome to PM me with links to specific examples. I look into every report that I get, but I'm only human so I can't be everywhere at once.

It looks interesting, the forums keep growing up.

When might applicants hear back anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    That's the job for the Super Moderators, to keep the Moderators in check as well as to keep on top of the appeals. As a former Super Moderator myself it was a fun job, and its a good "inside" community of Moderators on IRC. A good geographical spread is useful too, no point in having all the mods in same timezone and asleep at the same time

I stopped playing WoW for ages and so lapsed as a Super Mod. Hi to all the Mods still around from those days.
    Old Sig please ignore:
    Author of The official Rawr addon - view your optimised gear in game and ShockAndAwe addon - An Enhancement Shaman Max dps addon
    Click here to join Elitist Jerks and participate in detailed theorycrafting discussions.
    For Cataclysm raiding use EnhSim the Enhancement Shaman DPS simulator to work out what stats are best for your personal gear & talent setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Levva View Post
    That's the job for the Super Moderators, to keep the Moderators in check as well as to keep on top of the appeals. As a former Super Moderator myself it was a fun job, and its a good "inside" community of Moderators on IRC. A good geographical spread is useful too, no point in having all the mods in same timezone and asleep at the same time

I stopped playing WoW for ages and so lapsed as a Super Mod. Hi to all the Mods still around from those days.
    Levva lives?!
    Hii. :3

The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergal View Post
    Don't think its something they actually want either tough, turning the forums into a fascist regime where everyone can get banned for anything isn't fun for anyone either .
    Oh I know. Just was saying XD
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...htsongg/simple

Just don't choose those crappy blizz forum types or someone like that guy in rogue forums

I just want to remind everyone that this is for us to tell you that we're particularly seeking mods, not a place for you to vent about a mod you don't like, or to tell the team who you think should or shouldn't be a moderator. There are avenues of communication available to work out those kind of problems, and this isn't it.

Well good luck to everyone that applied
    Decided myself to apply for the PvP forums and the warlock forums.. ( Who could possibly have guessed that, haha ). My homies there could use some help

Well, I never figured out how IRC worked anyway...

And I probably don't meet the rest of the req's either :P

GL to everyone!
    CPU: I7 2600k @ 3.5GHz - GPU:ASUS DCUIIO GTX680 MOBO: MSI Z68-GD65 G3 - RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR3 - HDD: WD Blue 1TB/WD Green 2TB - CASE: Aerocool Xwarrior - Monitor: Samsung SA300 23" + Medion 23" (2x 1080p) - PSU: Corsair TX 850 - OS: Win7 Ultimate 64

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    And 97% of the Internet knows that 99% of statistics are made up on the spot!

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    It looks interesting, the forums keep growing up.
    Growing? I thought that it's because a lot of the old Mods quit?
    Fire walk with me!

Good luck to those who are going for it.

Almost wish I wasn't such a mean person so I could apply too.
    Heyoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Elapo View Post
    Well, I never figured out how IRC worked anyway...
    IRC is easy enough to get on + there's a post explaining how to get on it that you get once you get promoted to Fluffy Kitten (which is what you become when you have certain priveleges but don't have actual mod powers (yet))

IRC is needed and it's no more difficult then figuring out an addon on WoW. It will work if you follow the basic instructions, but to get it to do more you'll have to read up and/or experiment a bit.

Getting on IRC is the least of your worries tbh. Learning when to use your mod powers and when to let things be is much harder. And I guarantee you that all the new mods will have moments where they are thinking to themselves "what the hell do I do with this?". At which point you turn to IRC and get other mods involved to decide on a course of action.

So it might seem like an inconvenience and unimportant detail of modding, but it's pretty vital, especially in the first few weeks.
    Attack the Argument, not the Person ||| Forum rules ||| New England Patriots