Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good luck to people that apply.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Best of luck. Remember to include a blood sample so Bibi and chaud can have a taste before siring you.
    I have long suspected this is true

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks future moderators for your future hard work and inconsistent management of the forums! jk.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2014-06-13 at 05:43 PM.

Will future mods actually try to improve the quality of the posts or are you just here as prefects to stop people fighting?

A case in point. A guy asks for intermission advice on HC garrosh, in his post he mentions "Our hunter uses binding shot to stun the adds"

3 replies later "Use binding shot to stun the adds!"

Theres thousands of shit posts that are just one liners not related to the topic or just rubbish. I wish you'd work on improving quality. Regardless, GL to those that apply,

Deleted
    To whoever gets this, don't be a douchebag, be cool and be a big part of a pretty cool community!!!
    Good luck to applicants and stuff!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Best of luck. Remember to include a blood sample so Bibi and chaud can have a taste before siring you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Best perk of all is that you get to work with me....fetching me coffee, massaging my feet...you'll have a blast.
    LOL!

Good luck to everyone!
    Karma always has the last laugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Will future mods actually try to improve the quality of the posts or are you just here as prefects to stop people fighting?

A case in point. A guy asks for intermission advice on HC garrosh, in his post he mentions "Our hunter uses binding shot to stun the adds"

3 replies later "Use binding shot to stun the adds!"

Theres thousands of shit posts that are just one liners not related to the topic or just rubbish. I wish you'd work on improving quality. Regardless, GL to those that apply,
    I don't want to derail the thread with complaints about moderation (olig: PM a global) but since this is addressing our moderation philosophy and might be relevant to future mods, I'll respond:

I know some sites operate that way (EJ is the classic example) but that's not our approach here. Quality discussion is great, but we prefer to leave the responsibilty for creating quality discussion in the hands of our members, not artificially create it by removing posts below our bar. Our goal here as moderators is to facilitate dialogue between the site's members, not be quality control and censor people whose posts we feel aren't valuable enough. Certainly, we don't want spam littering up the board, but we're never going to be that level of authoritarian.

There are positives and negatives to every system and some sites certainly might benefit from more stringent moderation, but for our purposes here, we feel it serves the community a lot more to have that increased freedom of discussion, even if it means occasional "rubbish" posts.

There are pretty clear guidelines in place for moderators, given to us by the admins (and on a lesser level, us globals) so a new wave of mods is unlikely to change this. Moderators old and new operate the site the way the people who are in charge of the site have asked us to.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    It makes absolutely no sense to be required to have a minimum amount of posts in a forum.

Quality > Quantity

Few posts doesn't mean low activity.
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    It makes absolutely no sense to be required to have a minimum amount of posts in a forum.

Quality > Quantity

It does make sense. I'm pretty sure people who frequent a certain forum very often wouldn't like a person they've never seen before giving them orders, so to speak.

Deleted
    Quality > Quantity
    And Quality + Quantity > Quality alone. Obviously it will matter what your post history consists of - you don't really think that they don't check that, do you?

Good luck to all applicants!
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2014-06-13 at 10:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, being active is a lot more then writing. I am not writing this only cause I can't apply, but sure, take me for instance.

I spend many, many hours every day on the forums, only in Rogue and Achievements forums, but I don't write unless something is worth being written.

Just because I value quality over quantity, I get punished, and there is no way to even show the admins that I have ten years experience of being a moderator in one of Sweden's former biggest gaming communities.

In other words, the system is not perfect since it could reward spamming.

The first rule of a forum is that it is not a chat. Every post should be well though of and more of a notice or even an article, then a chat message
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

To the discussion about "quantity" - I both agree and disagree. It's important for people to know who you are when moderating, but I'm not sure having a set amount of posts in a set amount of time should necessarily be required.

Take, for example, the Fun Stuff forum. I have 1,974 posts in the forum. In the "Corrupt-A-Wish" thread, I have 351 posts, the third highest. "Last Two Letter Game", I have 767 posts, far and away the highest -- almost double the second person. "Rate the Avatar & Signature Above You!", a game I don't frequent much, I'm 12th, and assuming I post three times more, I'll be ninth.

Some sections aren't as robust as Off-Topic, etc. Some threads I have to wait for people to bump. I dominate some of the threads I frequent, yet I'm not eligible to even submit an application for Fun Stuff?

Edit: Yes, I know I must have X amount of posts in Y amount of days to be able to apply. I just think it's silly to have an arbitrary number attached.

10+ Year Old Account

Yes, it does, for several reasons. First and foremost, one needs to have enough posts for us to be able to judge the quality of their posting. We can't really arrive at a solid and accurate conclusion about the kind of mod a person would make and how well they communicate with other people if they only post once a month. Second, we want prolific posters who are recognisable to the community so it doesn't look like we're just promoting random dudes.

I'm not sure how else you would have us judge (or even define) activity if we're not looking at the frequency by which someone posts.

If the post count requirement was ridiculously high, then that might be a concern but it's really now. ~1-2 posts a day isn't crazy.

Quality > Quantity
    They're not mutually exclusive. In fact, we want both.

And while quality is certainly the most critical, we can't exactly have the application automatically filter by quality. We can by quantity. So it checks post count, and we hand-check quality.

- - - Updated - - -

In other words, the system is not perfect since it could reward spamming.
    It wouldn't, since we comb through every single applicant in great depth. A person who just spammed post count would never get through.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Good luck to everyone who applies! I was a Moderator too once, way back. It was a pretty great experience.

I wish you guys to have a good time as Moderators as well, if you make it. I believe in you!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    It wouldn't, since we comb through every single applicant in great depth. A person who just spammed post count would never get through.
    This. We go through your posts with a fine tooth comb. "Quantity" is literally just so you can apply, then we do a very thorough evaluation of your quality. If you just post tons just to post tons, that'll be extremely obvious. We don't want that.

We also look at consistency, if you are posting tons but disappear for half a year every so often, we'll notice that too.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I understand how you judge but the automated system that you are using might make you miss good applicants.

And please don't misunderstand, I am NOT talking about myself, just about the system in general.

I really enjoy mmo-champion. It is the only forum that I can still browse on the entire web. It is MUCH, and I mean MUCH better then Blizzards own WoW forum.
    Therefore I think the moderators should be carefully selected. This system might make you miss a few good guys.

To be fully honest, not even activity or familiarity with mmo-champion should necessarily be a requirement. If a person is a born leader with lots of moderating experience, both from the internet and from real life, that person would most likely be better then someone who is active on the site with less experience.

Therefore, it would probably be better to open up a mail, like "apply@mmo..." where you get a chance to share information about who you are, what you are good at, your experience etc. Like a real life job application. It might sound too serious, but hey, this is the best WoW forum there is, and that is quite a feat.

Once again, I am not talking about myself. I was just disappointed I could not apply and because of that, I shared my thoughts about the system. I am sure you still find good moderators

I get the reason why applicants are required to have a certain amount of posts in the past 90 days, but it sucks for those that actively comb thru posts on the site but never bother to post anything.
    I visit the site on a regular basis, feel that I would make a decent mod, but don't meet the post requirements. ������
    Carrying bad DPS through instances since 2006. >.<

Good Luck everyone
    Check out my livestream and follow me on twitter.
    /
    I Livestream and do giveaways.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Splenda View Post
    We also look at consistency, if you are posting tons but disappear for half a year every so often, we'll notice that too.
    You do this after becoming a mod, people barely even realise unless your modding the board yourself

Deleted
    Shit, I'm an active moderator for a couple of years on another forum with a few thousand active members, sadly I don't meet the requirements to apply here.
    I should post more other than just lurk around!

Good luck everyone who applies.
    Last edited by mmoc1a4d5f9c10; 2014-06-14 at 12:49 AM.