Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    For $40, my reason is gonna be:

4 years old laptop with SSD starts in less than 15 seconds from power off to internet ready in Win8 preview, instead of nearly minute in Win7. It really is that much faster.
    One thing to keep in mind is that Win8 per default does not perform a complete shut down and power on, instead it hibernates and resumes (without restoring any sessions).

Note that hibernating instead of shutting down is not necessarily bad but you may be able to get better results on Win7 if you use hibernation there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    Note that hibernating instead of shutting down is not necessarily bad but you may be able to get better results on Win7 if you use hibernation there as well.
    He has an SSD. Hibernation is adviced against with SSDs, on account of it using up write-cycles.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol@ so many haters, thinking its all designed specifically for tablets, grossly uninformed, the metro interface may work with touch, but it's no harder than clicking icons on your desktop if you are using a mouse instead. Besides the far faster load speed, the new eco system allows for app downloads and use within the metro ui, as well as integration with xbl, skydrive and more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    He has an SSD. Hibernation is adviced against with SSDs, on account of it using up write-cycles.
    If that was true you'd probably have to advice against using Windows 8 as well because Hibernation is what it does instead of shutting down although the (shutdown) hibernation file is somewhat smaller since it does not have to keep the applications' memory.

One thing to keep in mind is that Win8 per default does not perform a complete shut down and power on, instead it hibernates and resumes (without restoring any sessions).
    Win8 does partial hibernation if you use the regular shutdown button. It hibernates the kernel and hardware drivers, ie. the parts that never change, but shuts down all user programs.

Also because the kernel part never changes, it gets written exactly once after every hardware change and never again which means no extra writes on SSD and shutdown in less than five seconds.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Riavan View Post
    lol@ so many haters, thinking its all designed specifically for tablets, grossly uninformed, the metro interface may work with touch, but it's no harder than clicking icons on your desktop if you are using a mouse instead. Besides the far faster load speed, the new eco system allows for app downloads and use within the metro ui, as well as integration with xbl, skydrive and more.
    I'm not misinformed, I've played around with the customer preview copy and I simply dont like it.

If that was true you'd probably have to advice against using Windows 8 as well because Hibernation is what it does instead of shutting down although the (shutdown) hibernation file is somewhat smaller since it does not have to keep the applications' memory.
    on top of that I hardly think adding the number of write cycles to an SSD getting put into hibernation a few times per day is going to kill the SSD any time soon, its not like your trying to defrag or format it every other day.
    Last edited by Jailbuild; 2012-07-03 at 09:39 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Won't buy it, I heard it's still horribly buggy and I'd rather not have an OS that is crashing every 20 minutes like some of my friends are having.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Won't buy it, I heard it's still horribly buggy and I'd rather not have an OS that is crashing every 20 minutes like some of my friends are having.
    Do note that release candidate does not equate to final retail product.

Either way, it's not like Windows 7 was always perfect, nor was Windows Vista always quite good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Translating this from Swedish, so bear with me. Also going to list a lot of improvements and not only those I find most interesting for myself. But not all

I'm tired of listing now, might return to it later. D:
    While a few of those seem appealing and legitimately useful the obvious big one was the 20-50% boost to fps games, which has no source or real proof other than a guy saying it and the posts below him saying they hadn't had any real boosts.

I might give it a try while its still free if I find a start button simulator that I really like.

Either way, it's not like Windows 7 was always perfect, nor was Windows Vista always quite good.
    Lol vista was never good IMO.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Well Windows Vista was terrible all the time, and Windows 7 worked pretty darn well from release day, but my friends are getting BSOD's a lot on the release candidates and it's because of incompatibility with hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    I might give it a try while its still free if I find a start button simulator that I really like.
    I really don't understand why people are so hung up with this one... Microsoft is right that pinning programs to the launchbar killed the need for start menu. I need the start menu less than once per week for anything else besides shutdown, everything I use more than once per week is pinned down and is faster to find there.

Well Windows Vista was terrible all the time, and Windows 7 worked pretty darn well from release day, but my friends are getting BSOD's a lot on the release candidates and it's because of incompatibility with hardware.
    Not a single crash of Win8DP for me during half year use in four years old laptop with 2GB RAM. Problem is most likely buggy drivers, which always causes more than 90% of BSODs, instead of Windows itself.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

While a few of those seem appealing and legitimately useful the obvious big one was the 20-50% boost to fps games, which has no source or real proof other than a guy saying it and the posts below him saying they hadn't had any real boosts.

I'd have listed more sources about this, but they are in Swedish, so it'd be rather pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Lol vista was never good IMO.
    Vista is rather good nowadays, just a bit worse than Win7.
    Just because something used to be one way, doesn't mean it stays that way. Look at Internet Explorer, for instance.

Rightclicking lower left corner
    http://media.askvg.com/articles/imag...ccess_Menu.png
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-07-03 at 09:50 AM.

I really don't understand why people are so hung up with this one... Microsoft is right that pinning programs to the launchbar killed the need for start menu. I need the start menu less than once per week for anything else besides shutdown, everything I use more than once per week is pinned down and is faster to find there.
    Because you are you and others are different, I tend to use start and type the program I need and run it from there, its just the way I have become accustomed to using it, same way I have seen people who have a desktop covered in icons.

Never touching win8 from what i seen of it it was made with the new MS tablet in mind and last i checked im on a desktop not a tablet if things go the way they have win7 will be around and updated for at lease 10 years.

Offtopic: been enjoying my win7 even tho its just vista without the bugs and a slightly better look. to me *win 7 was the win xp of this time and win vista was windows millenium*

Vista is rather good nowadays, just a bit worse than Win7.
    Just because something used to be one way, doesn't mean it stays that way. Look at Internet Explorer, for instance.
    I ended up going back to xp because it was faster than vista, granted I dont have any RECENT experience with vista, but on release it was horrible for me.

Deleted
    Win8 does partial hibernation if you use the regular shutdown button. It hibernates the kernel and hardware drivers, ie. the parts that never change, but shuts down all user programs.

Also because the kernel part never changes, it gets written exactly once after every hardware change and never again which means no extra writes on SSD and shutdown in less than five seconds.
    Any source for that?

Yes, the driver files do not change outside of updates but those files are already on the disk and don't need to be written anyway. The same is true for applications as well: those files are on the disk as well.
    However what does change is the state of those drivers (and applications) in memory. And while you probably can identify quite a few parts that do not change (or aren't needed after a restart) I don't think you can get away without storing some data at each shutdown.

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    I ended up going back to xp because it was faster than vista, granted I dont have any RECENT experience with vista, but on release it was horrible for me.
    Meh, Windows XP was rather horrible when it was first released as well, to be fair. It was a long time ago now, so I might misremember that, but hey.
    Either way, it's a good price, especially to be Microsoft. It's good to see they are reading the trends.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd have listed more sources about this, but they are in Swedish, so it'd be rather pointless.
    If you have them on hand I can always use google translate, im genuinely interested about the boost and why it happened, if it did.

If not then don't worry about it.

---------- Post added 2012-07-03 at 09:53 AM ----------

Meh, Windows XP was rather horrible when it was first released as well, to be fair. It was a long time ago now, so I might misremember that, but hey.
    Either way, it's a good price, especially to be Microsoft. It's good to see they are reading the trends.
    Oh man, win xp before any service packs...