Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    pff. We call them "catchers" or "backstops" (since you're replying to a post about baseball...)

spain/real madrid are not a reference to baseball or casillas/GK. I don't even really see how a catcher could effect a game to that extent anyway.

Haha, seems like people try to hate on America every little chance they get. This is why I try not to stray from the WoW forums

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeelot View Post
    Haha, seems like people try to hate on America every little chance they get. This is why I try not to stray from the WoW forums
    Pretty much. This is MMO Champ in a nutshell. It's just an outlet for people to hate on America for whatever stupid reason suits them that day. It helps them not have to focus on their own country when they can just direct their hate to the "Big Bad Wolf". It's a form of denial.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-07-04 at 09:10 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    More hybris than Europeans etc when naming their leagues.

because we're america...fuck yea
    Made me smile

If they want to call one of the smallest sports in the world for world champions let them, if it makes them feel better, good for them
    Last edited by Bakis; 2012-07-04 at 09:12 AM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    I am not sure about the rules. I know some players play at least in those A to AAA leagues and I think even some in the major league.
    It is kind of similar to ice hockey and basketball at the olympics before they allowed pro's. I know with football (soccer) at least that in the olympics the youth teams up to 21 play along with 2 or 3 dispensation/exemption players.
    I'd have to look it up, but I think MLB players need permission from their team to play in other leagues. Many players, for example, play in winter leagues in Central America or Australia. Usually it's because the team wants them to work on something in the MLB off season.

I know I'm being particular in only talking about one sport, but baseball is sort of an American Icon. That's why I'm honestly curious what would happen if, for example, the American League All-Star team (next week) faced any non-MLB team in the world. Probably not fair. So what if the last place MLB team faced any other team in the world?

Summary of this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Onemanwolfpack View Post
    because we're america...fuck yea
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    If they want to call one of the smallest sports in the world for world champions let them, if it makes them feel better, good for them
    Exactly. It doesn't concern you. I do find your fascination with my country adorable though.

All those sports you mentioned are the pinnacle, the highest level of competition for them, that is why they are the world champions because nobody in the world is better. And just because the team is in the USA does not mean the champions are from the US. A Canadian team hasnt won the stanley cup in like 20 or so years but practically every team is full of Canadians and those people are world champions. Heck even in basketball last years NBA Champion Mavericks best player was born and raised in Germany and he was considered a world champion as well.

So basically it has nothing to do with the USA it has to do with the players who are the best players in the world bar none and can come from all different parts of the globe. And those players for those teams are world champs.

Are you kidding me with all this nation bashing shit? Mods wake up.
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I'd have to look it up, but I think MLB players need permission from their team to play in other leagues. Many players, for example, play in winter leagues in Central America or Australia. Usually it's because the team wants them to work on something in the MLB off season.

I know I'm being particular in only talking about one sport, but baseball is sort of an American Icon. That's why I'm honestly curious what would happen if, for example, the American League All-Star team (next week) faced any non-MLB team in the world.
    Why curious? it is obviously that the MLB all star team is better then any other MLB team (on paper). Let alone a non MLB team.

Baseball is such a small sport globally that they even removed it from the olympics. They play it in the US, Japan (who are not that great) and the carribean.

The only reason that the Netherlands can compete is because the Surinam + carribean colonies + Dutch players play all under the Dutch flag.
    It got carried over a little here and actually was fairly popular because football players played it in the off season. Apparently a bunch of the -74 and -78 orange team players can actually play baseball pretty well including Cruijff and Neeskens.
    So it has at least some footing but I think they only show the world series recaps and our national league playoff recaps on national tv here. For a country that is "world champion" so to say it is very little.

And Italy is the other Euro nation that is okay in baseball. Don't know why though.

Deleted
    This thread has undoubtedly run its course, in terms of constructive discussion. Closing.