Page 3 of 120 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Come on ppl The truth is right above you, the Sun its more active.
    As solar activity has decreased, temperatures have increased. Haven't you seen the infamous hockey stick graph.

And saying the sun is causing it to get warmer is like saying the world trade towers fell because of gravity.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TofuBeast View Post
    And to everyone saying it's "Climate change, not global warming", you're wrong. It's global warming. The Earth is warming. I don't care if there was some big blizzard or a bad winter recently. The average temperatures have been going up and the arctic is melting.

Greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide cause the Greenhouse effect.
    I wanna see a record of the Earth's temperature for the past 3000 years that shows the average temperature is going up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Meh, people like to say that it's a natural cycle. Maybe part of it is, but average temperatures have already risen more than they ever have as far back as ice core data goes, concurrent with rising atmospheric CO2 levels. Combining this with the fact that CO2 absorbs light in a different way from other atmospheric molecules, it seems reasonable to think that rising CO2 levels are causing this increase in temperature.

Based on the estimated quantity of CO2 being put into the atmosphere by vehicles and other manmade sources in relation to natural sources of CO2, it also seems reasonable to think that we are in part responsible for a non-negligible part of this "global warming".

Just thinking about it in an equilibrium system, it would be ignorant to think that moving massive quantities of any substance would not change our environment. The earth was once lifeless and barren. And filled with CO2. Much of this CO2 was sequestered in fossil fuels and bedrock reserves created by the movement of magma. A lower quantity of CO2 allowed humans to evolve. Digging all of it up might not be wise.

It might be good to note that "global warming" is an average increase in temperatures; due to the incredible complexity of weather systems and the flow of heat through currents, many areas will get colder or have strange weather. However, on average, global temperatures will increase, hence "global warming". Visual evidence can be harder to see, since most (93.4%) of the effect of “global warming” is going into the oceans; but I think we’ve had our fair share of strange weather so far this year.

As for a 100 year cycle, temperatures have only gone up (by slightly less than 1 degree celsius) in the past 130 years. That is not a cycle. In the last 2000 years, there have been two major-ish temperature-related events: the medieval warm period around 1000 AD, and the small ice age around 1600. Today, temperatures have already risen .4 degrees celsius higher than the warmest point during the medieval warm period. Since the medieval warm period is defined by a paltry .2 degree increase in temperature, this modern change is somewhat drastic in comparison.

There are sun cycles as well, but they are short and a full cycle might last a decade. Between 1975 and 2005, solar irradiation cycles have remained constant while temperatures have risen.

Scientists don’t have some global conspiracy, or even a motive, to falsely advocate for climate change. They don’t go into science to make money. They go into science to seek truth. If there were a few companies funding these studies, they would be worthy of scrutiny. But the majority of research is independent.
    First smart thing here today!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    People that dont believe its caused by mankind, do they believe in unicorns and the easter bunny instead?
    I hear people who think man is totally responsible for climate change are always finding pots of gold at the end of rainbows, and are currently gathering venture capitol to start a Big Foot breeding farm.

I think I out dumbed you!
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

I deny global warming, cold fusion and a myriad of other "basic science" claims.

10+ Year Old Account
    while I do think the rising temperatures are manmade, it isn't as bad as people say. after all it was snowing in march 2 years ago in south carolina. that doesn't happen very often, as in the last time was ~20 years ago
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

10+ Year Old Account
    FFS people, stop citing LOCAL weather patterns as an argument against GLOBAL warming
    Putin khuliyo

First smart thing here today!

... so you believe it now?

Deleted
    The climate does seem to be very odd at the moment. Climate cycles or otherwise, I feel that not enough is being done to prepare for potential disasters on both a national and global level. Large portions of England seem to come to a stand still every time there's a freak bout of snow, ice or flooding. Since it's becoming more and more common, it's surprising so many services are disrupted or poorly prepared/equipped to deal with the various problems known to arise.

From what I've heard, it seems to be a common issue across the board. I may be wrong, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    I hear people who think man is totally responsible for climate change are always finding pots of gold at the end of rainbows, and are currently gathering venture capitol to start a Big Foot breeding farm.

I think I out dumbed you!
    If i could tnumbs up your post i would 10 times.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PatchworkBBC View Post
    In a country of 313 million people, you're bound to have a few nutjobs. Also, where are you getting your 40% from?
    it's based on the shallow and naive premise that people who consider intelligent design to be a possibility are totally against any possibility that the concept of evolution (which overlaps intelligent design) is possible..

basically the OP is another left-winger who hates the possibility that his faith is being questioned.. ie. global warming..
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TofuBeast View Post
    ... so you believe it now?
    No it was not your smart thing i said was smart, someone who cited that there was increase but not why and how he stated both sides of the debate without bias that was the first smart thing in this post.

Nothing has proven 100% that its man made and until carbon taxes are taken off the table i will not stop thinking its a scheme to make money etc.

Climatology is not a real science, therefore the op is invalid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taenathal View Post
    The climate does seem to be very odd at the moment. Climate cycles or otherwise, I feel that not enough is being done to prepare for potential disasters on both a national and global level. Large portions of England seem to come to a stand still every time there's a freak bout of snow, ice or flooding. Since it's becoming more and more common, it's surprising so many services are disrupted or poorly prepared/equipped to deal with the various problems known to arise.

From what I've heard, it seems to be a common issue across the board. I may be wrong, though.
    how do you figure it's more and more common? you have to remember that just 300 years ago we were in the midst of a micro ice age.. 500 years ago greenland was.. green land..
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Healarious View Post
    I wanna see a record of the Earth's temperature for the past 3000 years that shows the average temperature is going up.
    Is 420,000 years good enough? http://www.daycreek.com/dc/images/1999.pdf

Here's 1-2 thousand years. Only an abstract, but you can look at the last sentence for the conclusion: http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/200...RG000143.shtml

650,000 years right here, though you'll have to scroll to page 3. Look for bolded text: http://www.slvwd.com/agendas/Full/20...Item%2010b.pdf

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    it's based on the shallow and naive premise that people who consider intelligent design to be a possibility are totally against any possibility that the concept of evolution (which overlaps intelligent design) is possible..

basically the OP is another left-winger who hates the possibility that his faith is being questioned.. ie. global warming..
    And in the Faith of Global warming All will give their grandparents up so their carbon can be sent to god, and the world will recover yay.

I work for National Weather Service and I love these types of arguments. How many folks have really, really looked at the data as opposed to just reading what will line up with their way of thinking. There's a term for that actually but I can't remember it. If you're conservative, you'll look for, read, and generally agree with the more conservative type stuff and vice versa for liberal. Anyway, for those that believe Global Warming or Climate Change or whatever is caused by humans and we suck, blah blah blah...there will be NO way to change their thinking. I've tried countless times using any means available to me and it just doesn't work. Heck, do most people even realize that the earth HASN'T been warming since the 90s?? But it's so warm!! Yes, that's weather...NOT climate.

Meh, if you're so inclined some good articles/websites on the subject:

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm
    http://www.petitionproject.org/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...colleague.html
    http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/07/0...ve/#more-66704
    http://www.climatedepot.com/a/12830/...f-5mm-per-year
    http://www.examiner.com/article/harv...limate-science
    http://phys.org/news/2011-10-team-ar...elf-broke.html
    http://www.livescience.com/19643-nas...l-warming.html
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ja...-my-long-life/

The last one is long but the letter is fantastic and a good read!! As some have said already in this post, once you move from science to politics, you're screwed as is the science.

10+ Year Old Account
    And in the Faith of Global warming All will give their grandparents up so their carbon can be sent to god, and the world will recover yay.
    Now you're just making shit up.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    As solar activity has decreased, temperatures have increased. Haven't you seen the infamous hockey stick graph.

And saying the sun is causing it to get warmer is like saying the world trade towers fell because of gravity.
    Furthermore if the increase in temperature is indeed affected by this solar cycle it will come back with a vengeance as soon as the cycle goes the other way again - so its still important to do something about it

I think it's obvious that us humans and the things we do has an effect on our environment, but I also think it's obvious that planets go through cycles and climates do change over time, and that in no way are hot summers / cold summers / warm winters / cold winters necessarily due to us, as opposed to a result of natural variances and cycles in the climate.

But it's worth thinking about that we actually do have an effect, and that we should be mindful of it, because it probably doesn't help with the natural climate changes....

The real question is "How big an effect do we have on the environment?"
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.