Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I sleep through as much of it as possible.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Perhaps you are curious what the Declaration of Independence says?

Here is a transcript of it:
    http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

It is amazing how well written it is compared with many modern documents out of our government. In addition, it explains in great part the foundations of America that last until this very day.

Also, I am a direct descendent of the final signator of the Declaration, which is kind of cool!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Would like to share these two gems I found on Imgur:

I posted the artist's account in another thread: http://sharpwriter.deviantart.com/

He's got all sorts of great stuff.
    Putin khuliyo

lol there's always a person from england that asks about july 4th.

last year I just said "well uhh... there was a historical significance but now its mostly about BBQ and fireworks" I just couldn't tell him the truth lol
    The world was just as bad when you were young as it is today. You only see it now because of your age.

July 4th. The day the Americans celebrate our nation by blowing up little parts of it.

In other news, I saw Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter today. I thought it appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Perhaps you are curious what the Declaration of Independence says?

Here is a transcript of it:
    http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

It is amazing how well written it is compared with many modern documents out of our government. In addition, it explains in great part the foundations of America that last until this very day.

Also, I am a direct descendent of the final signator of the Declaration, which is kind of cool!
    Some brilliant philosophies are put forth in that writing.
    Things like that people have innate rights, that governments derive their powers from consent of the governed, and that when these governments become destructive to their rights, it is not only the right but the duty of the people to alter it or establish a new government.

I love Jefferson's writings and philosophies. Especially his writings on revolution and rebellion.

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. ... What country before ever existed a century and half without a rebellion? And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."

"What a stupendous, what an incomprehensible machine is man! Who can endure toil, famine, stripes, imprisonment and death itself in vindication of his own liberty, and the next moment . . . inflict on his fellow men a bondage, one hour of which is fraught with more misery than ages of that which he rose in rebellion to oppose."

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    ahhh America one of the few places you can openly bash freely without worrying about retaliation.
    To be fair, most industrialized nations are free to say the same of their own country. I love America, but it isn't the only "free" bastion left in the world.

Usually we just go see local fireworks show, but fireworks were banned in my county, and many around us and we weren't willing to go see the one downtown...so this year we had a family party, oddly it was bigger then most...usually we just have my aunts and uncle and grandma and grandpa, but we had a lot of different people. We ate more than a typical family on thanks giving.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I simply put this poster up on my garage for the day.

Very patriotic until you realise he is wielding a German MP7 and has a Russian RPG slung on his back That looks like an AK47 bayonet too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    but I do like watching Independence Day which is almost always on TV during this day.
    Same here (Netherlands).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Very patriotic until you realise he is wielding a German MP7 and has a Russian RPG slung on his back That looks like an AK47 bayonet too.
    And which country is the raptor from?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    And which country is the raptor from?
    All of them I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    Fuck if I know, cut of contact with that part of the family years ago so Christmas is a great time for me. Only the family members I give a fuck about.

---------- Post added 2012-07-04 at 05:09 PM ----------

John Adams > Reagan
    Samuel Adams > John Adams

Gomez Addams = Samuel Adams.

I hope those who enjoy an excuse for over eating and drinking that they had a wonderful day, the sun is coming up now so it is officially the next day and I am passing out.

--Yes it is only officially the next day when the sun comes up. Well at least if your 'Dead Sea walking club'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealed Shut View Post
    Most Americans get the day off from work(with pay). It's usually spent with family and friends outdoors, barbeques and such. Fireworks celebration in the evening. in order of size i would rank it third... behind Christmas and Thanksgiving.
    I think Easter is probably bigger. I'd put it 4th.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Didn't celebrate it at all. Worked in a little shit-hole of a town in Illinois (where there's a fireworks ban due to the drought) and went straight home. Just as well, though, I hate fireworks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Samuel Adams > John Adams

Gomez Addams = Samuel Adams.
    I respect your opinion, but I disagree.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Just want to say fuck 9gag. We can appreciate Neil deGrasse Tyson's wit without them, thank you very much.
    Amen.
    Fireworks were banned, didn't stop a couple people from setting them off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Humm...we should have a getting rid of americans day...It's rather insulting that you celebrate no longer being BFF with us....0o

I guess it's just like bonfire night except it lasts all day and it's warmer :S
    You'll always be our BFF. I love my cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    All of them I think.
    I thought I read somewhere that the oldest Raptor fossils found were in America. Don't quote me on it though.

---------- Post added 2012-07-05 at 09:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kashii View Post
    Now if we could just get a single payer healthcare system we might be as awesome as Sweden.
    We'd also be bankrupt
    "LET TERROR RAIN!!!" ~ Warcraft III