Thread: Dark Souls [PC]

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dark Souls [PC]

Who's excited for it?

Honestly im quite ecstatic over it and the wait for it is almost over. I never played the console version as I gave up console gaming long ago and im not going to purchase a PS3 JUST for Dark souls, Especially when I heard the petition from a while ago has encouraged a PC port.

Im really hoping it actually does well and has a strong player-base on the PC side.

So what do you guys think or foresee with this game?

For those unaware Dark souls is the spiritual sequel to the game Demon souls which was released back in 2009, Both games are Action/RPG and well known for their difficulty with the port over to PC it may also have a mod developping scene for it which would be great. It will be control compatible, Contains Single-play, Co-op, Multiplayer along with a PvP scene with match-making.

Searched for "Dark Souls" before posting this and only found a thread from a few months back which was trying to gain support for the port over (Which was successful!) which my topic isn't really relevant to and don't want to necro it.

Added:

The PC version of the game was confirmed on April 7, 2012 via the PC Action magazine.Re-branded as Prepare to Die Edition, it will come out in August 2012 and feature new content, including bosses, enemies, equipment, and NPCs.The new content, titled Artorias of the Abyss, will be released for consoles in Winter 2012 in the form of paid DLC.

Soon after it was announced that Dark Souls for PC would use Games for Windows - LIVE, After a fan backlash,the game was also announced for Steam. (Hopefully that means no more GFWL and its just using Steam.)
    Last edited by Lyriok; 2012-07-04 at 10:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im really excited for it. The day i wont have to use a plebian machine to play this glorius game will be a good day for the PC gaming master race! I have over 350 hours logged on this piece of glorius shit on my PS3, but i cant wait for it to come to pc so my friends who does not own this plebian machine we call a ps3, can play with me!

I was excited...

Then GFWL happened.
    Then they admitted they had no clue what they were doing with the port to PC so it would have poor mouse/keyboard support and wouldn't fix any of the framerate issues from the console version (which I'm actually ok with).

I was all about this game and was totally going to purchase it, but I don't support games that have GFWL anymore as it's one of the worst "services" I've ever dealt with. That and the fact that they didn't bother to hire some experienced freelancers to help them with the port to PC, and have admitted that PC is getting a bad port means I'm not really interested in playing it either. It's a damn shame and makes me really sad.

I heard something about the resolution being limited to 720p and the FPS limited to 30. Anyone know if that's true or just a rumour?

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm excited for it too. I understand people don't like GFWL but how does it change the content and gameplay of the game at all? It's the same game, just with an annoying thing added. Look past the annoying thing and you still have the (hopefully) amazing game. I'll definitely be purchasing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    I heard something about the resolution being limited to 720p and the FPS limited to 30. Anyone know if that's true or just a rumour?
    Its going to be the same as the plebian (console) version, but if you have a decent master race machine you wont have to deal with blight town lag
    It will have some better matchmaking I belive, you can invite your friends or something.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    I was all about this game and was totally going to purchase it, but I don't support games that have GFWL anymore as it's one of the worst "services" I've ever dealt with. That and the fact that they didn't bother to hire some experienced freelancers to help them with the port to PC, and have admitted that PC is getting a bad port means I'm not really interested in playing it either. It's a damn shame and makes me really sad.
    Shame you ran into a problem with them

The fact their not giving it their all to port it over is dissapointing but they've had terrible experience with it in the past which doesn't justify it but im sure there'd be a fan out there that will make a mod for the textures and games performance. The PC control's will probably just be a learning curve but im going to get a controller just to play this :3

---------- Post added 2012-07-04 at 10:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thomalk View Post
    Its going to be the same as the plebian (console) version, but if you have a decent master race machine you wont have to deal with blight town lag
    It will have some better matchmaking I belive, you can invite your friends or something.
    Pretty much yea and having a now out-dated machine im okay with this xD

Really need to upgrade soon...

As for the matchmaking it will be improved especially since the game is being released through steam, Don't think there's a single Co-op/Multiplayer game on steam that you can't invite friends to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post
    As for the matchmaking it will be improved especially since the game is being released through steam, Don't think there's a single Co-op/Multiplayer game on steam that you can't invite friends to play.
    Its not that kind matchmaking, they are remaking the matchmaking in the game. Letting you invite friends in game, not through Steam. Its good that they recognize the PC gamers as the master race we are, and cater to our matchmaking needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomalk View Post
    Its not that kind matchmaking, they are remaking the matchmaking in the game. Letting you invite friends in game, not through Steam. Its good that they recognize the PC gamers as the master race we are, and cater to our matchmaking needs.
    Yea.. We are the superior genre of gamers aren't we...
    I would imagine you can still invite friends through steam tho, Games on steam that use GFWL can invite friends on the game, Friends on GFWL and through steam so thats 3 ways to get a play with friends.

It's odd to think there are people out there who have been dying to play Dark Souls when I completed it months and months ago.

Get ready for some serious heart ache my friends. This game is merciless.

Quote Originally Posted by luckybeer View Post
    It's odd to think there are people out there who have been dying to play Dark Souls when I completed it months and months ago.

Get ready for some serious heart ache my friends. This game is merciless.
    That is exactly what I crave. I love single player challange where I die due to my own fault not someone elses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dev's said they aren't sure if it will be capped @ 30fps, but it will support 1080p, though it might use a 4:3 FoV, but as long as it's not a stretched 4:3 resolution it's fine with me, and I'm extremely picky, especially about things of that nature.

Having forced mouse acceleration and/or smoothing is something else picky gamers might worry about, though its a safe assumption people will be using a controller and not a mouse and keyboard as only a mouse would be greatly affected by those 2 options, and I also doubt it's an engine that bases horizontal and vertical sensitivity relative to the actual FoV the resolution is using, like Dues Ex, which was a fiasco.

They were very up-front about saying they haven't been able to fix the extreme framerate issues the console versions suffered from in certain areas, which tells us it's the core design of their engine/pathing AI as speculated.

It will be released via Steam, whether or not it will use GFWL in addition to Steam is still unknown.

Considering I own it for the PS3 I'm in no rush to play it on the PC until it's $20 or less just to see it at 1080p with a higher-than-average framerate.

I do give props to "From Software" for listening to the fans considering the petitions and other issues brought up.

Another thing to consider is there's likely going to be an incredible amount of people exploiting online since the game will be running on a PC and not a console, meaning you can basically do whatever you want on this platform VS being limited as you would be on a console.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2012-07-04 at 10:49 PM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Deleted
    Having seen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUXw86Vn8ko&feature=plcp TB mentioning this I was after buying it, but GFWL is a huge no go for me.
    Also not a decent port, 30fps locked etc.

/shame

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
    Having seen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUXw86Vn8ko&feature=plcp TB mentioning this I was after buying it, but GFWL is a huge no go for me.

Also not a decent port, 30fps locked etc.
    Last I heard FS said they weren't sure if it was going to be locked at 30fps or not, which people found puzzling.

If that's true it's an instant "No" from me, even if the game's $5, not joking either.

Edit - that video is 6 months old, so the 30 FPS comment is likely no longer accurate, nor is anything else for that matter.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2012-07-04 at 10:50 PM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to play this game for 10 minutes... get pissed at the difficulty, and break my keyboard. That's my prediction. I am only going to play it so I can improve as a gamer. I've always been a pretty reckless gamer, which works in FPSes because I have good reflexes, but maybe Dark Souls will teach me to take it a little slower... or I will rage quit. Probably rage quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    I'm going to play this game for 10 minutes... get pissed at the difficulty, and break my keyboard. That's my prediction. I am only going to play it so I can improve as a gamer. I've always been a pretty reckless gamer, which works in FPSes because I have good reflexes, but maybe Dark Souls will teach me to take it a little slower... or I will rage quit. Probably rage quit.
    You could certainly be reckless aslong as you have incredible reflexes :P
    It's a great game to improve on thats for sure for me im getting it because im seekign a good challange.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Last I heard FS said they weren't sure if it was going to be locked at 30fps or not, which people found puzzling.

If that's true it's an instant "No" from me, even if the game's $5, not joking either.

Edit - that video is 6 months old, so the 30 FPS comment is likely no longer accurate, nor is anything else for that matter.
    Yep I knew that was old, but couldn`t be arsed to watch all his Mailbox ones to find the one where he lists newer info` about the game.

The PC version of the game was confirmed on April 7, 2012 via the PC Action magazine.Re-branded as Prepare to Die Edition, it will come out in August 2012 and feature new content, including bosses, enemies, equipment, and NPCs.The new content, titled Artorias of the Abyss, will be released for consoles in Winter 2012 in the form of paid DLC.

Soon after it was announced that Dark Souls for PC would use Games for Windows - LIVE, After a fan backlash,the game was also announced for Steam. (Hopefully that means no more GFWL and its just using Steam.)

Adding this here and on my OP

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post

Adding this here and on my OP
    Think I bought Batman Arkham Asylum on Steam and it still uses GFWL.

What exactly do you guys hate so much about GFWL? I play a few games that use it, it doesn't bother me at all.

There's just nothing but bad news about it 90% of the time.

1.Your required to make an account specifically for it so logging into steam then logging into GFWL to play a game is a bit annoying.
    2.Theres compatability issues I've had some games that I coudn't play or that simply refused to save and if it did save all my data would be lost.
    3.Patches don't apply correctly or corrupt the game to the point you need to reinstall.

Basically for 50% of people it works perfect for theo ther 50% its absolutely horrible to the point that we completly avoid all games with GFWL.

If dark souls does end up going with GFWL i'll still purchase it due to how much I want to play and support the game but I also have to pray and hope that it works for me.