10+ Year Old Account

Question about low internet speeds/not great computer

I'm interested in getting GW2.
    I have GW1, and really enjoy playing it with my friends up to this day.

My laptop can run WoW on medium without any noticeable frame rate drops.
    I live in Aus, away from major cities, so my MS is usually at 220ish.

I was just wondering, how would it run on my laptop.
    How hard does it run compared to say WoW, or SWToR?
    Does it require something powerful/ with good internet, due to the dodging/aiming attacks?
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

10+ Year Old Account
    From the Guild Wars 2 website:

What are the minimum system requirements for Guild Wars 2?

Our goal with Guild Wars 2 is to have it run on a wide range of Windows gaming PCs.

Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better • Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon 64 X2, or better • 2 GB RAM • NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI X1800, Intel HD 3000, or better (256MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better) • 25 GB available HDD space • Broadband Internet connection • Keyboard and mouse

I've heard having the dual core processer is the more critical than memory but I'm not sure about the MS - I saw some people talking about it in game but I didn't see where you could see that so I don't know what I was pulling. Maybe someone else here can help
    Valar morghulis

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    What you mean with MS is not your internet "speed" but rather your latency. A value of 220ms is not really optimal (you'll want to have <100ms), but playable. It basically means that all actions are delayed by at least a fifth second, which doesn't sound like much, but is a handicap compared to someone with 50ms.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, though. I've heard from several Australians that they could play the BWEs very well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socram View Post
    What you mean with MS is not your internet "speed" but rather your latency. A value of 220ms is not really optimal (you'll want to have <100ms), but playable. It basically means that all actions are delayed by at least a fifth second, which doesn't sound like much, but is a handicap compared to someone with 50ms.
    A player in AU will never have <100ms. It takes nearly 200ms to go across the Pacific from AU east coast to US west coast alone.

Assuming OP meant 220ms to the US, and not 220ms to AU sites, they should be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    the game is not optimised yet and its a hog, i run wow on ultra okay but have struggled on high for gw2 i think you might struggle little have a good look at the specs and see. i hope once organised it Will be a lot better, sure it Will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Had a rough time playing on my laptop, Intel Radeon HD 3000 series, win7 64x, 4gig of ram, 2.2-3.0 dual core. Everything on minimum. Graphics seemed to disapear and I would have to change the resolution and then back after every time I zoned or I was unable to see anything but the ground. Maybe once the game is officially out, it would be better, but I did just order a new laptop yesterday using a July 4th deal.
    GemStoneIII (Mud) (ongoing) > SubSpace/Continuum > EQ1-Kunark-PoP > aRO > FFXI > WoW > Rift > WoW > FFXIV > SWToR > Tera > GW2 > Wushu > ESO > W* > EQ1p99 > WoW > ???
    FFXIVARR Profile
    D3 Profile