Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Was wondering if you could add a more detailed priority guide. Specifically my questions revolve around DP and MF:Insanity

1. Devouring plague is up and I'm doing mind flay insanity. Mind blast pops up because I waited to cast devouring plague for one reason or another.
    2. If I cast Mind Flay: Insanity with 0.5 seconds left on Devouring Plague, does the entire channel benefit from Insanity? Or just while DP is up?
    3. Is it worth it to cast Shadow Ward Death during Dev Plague or should it only be MF:Insanity during this period?
    4. Should we redot in the DP phase if trinket procs?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teucer View Post
    Was wondering if you could add a more detailed priority guide. Specifically my questions revolve around DP and MF:Insanity

1. Devouring plague is up and I'm doing mind flay insanity. Mind blast pops up because I waited to cast devouring plague for one reason or another.
    2. If I cast Mind Flay: Insanity with 0.5 seconds left on Devouring Plague, does the entire channel benefit from Insanity? Or just while DP is up?
    3. Is it worth it to cast Shadow Ward Death during Dev Plague or should it only be MF:Insanity during this period?
    4. Should we redot in the DP phase if trinket procs?
    1. Yes, Mind Blast procs take priority over Insanity, but especccially if you can get another Insanity after the MB proc (see question 2).
    2. Yes, the entire channel benefits from Insanity despite Devouring Plague ending during it.
    3. It's worth it to cast Death, especcially your orb-generating Death during Insanity - if you are using the 6s death cooldown to generate orbs faster during execute range, it is particularly worthwhile to keep those going during Insanity.
    4. If Lei Shen procs and your target is going to be alive long enough to benefit from re-dots, then yes - drop everything and re-DoT.

All in all, Insanity isn't the primary source of our damage - Devouring Plague is - it's best to think of Insanity as Mind Flay for all intents and purposes. It doesn't do enough damage to warrant special priority (with only a few minor exceptions that I don't think anyone would actually care about unless they are trying to WoL top 10).

---------- Post added 2013-06-02 at 11:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by turtlefreak View Post
    Am i missing something fatal? Any flaws in my logic?
    And if not what would i have to delete from the custom functions to change the things i mentioned? (i'm bad at coding)
    1. Int procs also proc crit bonuses, but Lei Shen is the only one we really need to care about for this tier - in future and past tiers though we have had worthy crit procs before as well though - but I could see in your case (using Twintops dot auras and a unique aura for Lei Shen) that you wouldn't really care about other crit increases.

2. Not sure actually, I'm maybe Twintop can answer this one for you. I played with his aura briefly but I can't remember what would need to go to make that work without reinstalling it.

---------- Post added 2013-06-02 at 11:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrodesiac View Post
    Do Shadowy Apparitions only refresh the stats for Shadow Word: Pain? Is this intended? Is there something I've missed or am I just an ignorant shadow priest?
    Shadowy Apparitions no longer reset stats as of 5.3, it was an unintended bug that they did in 5.2 (but apparently it wasn't important enough for them to fix it for a patch). However, after the original duration of Pain ends (18 seconds) they will stop proccing Apparitions (but the DoT will continue to crit every tick).

This was a fix to prevent us building up 30% haste + 56%+ mastery to potentially create infinite duration VT and Pain. Blizzard consider us doing that an exploit, despite it not actually being That huge a damage buff (probably around like 15-30k dps), but when Demonology warlocks could use Lei Shen trinket procs to apply 100% crit chance Doom, which would then spawn Wild Imps every tick - and could potentially result in a 100k+ DPS increase on dot-cleave fights - they were fine with that (which was live in 5.2, and is still live in 5.3).

So, it is intended - and you're not ignorant - it's just incredibly obtuse to follow their bizarre intentions and inaccurate tooltips. But that's what we write guides and answer questions for!
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2013-06-02 at 11:20 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    This might just be due to me missunderstanding your usage of the word especially, but I figured I'd ask you to clarify a few things.

1. Yes, Mind Blast procs take priority over Insanity, but especccially if you can get another Insanity after the MB proc (see question 2).
    Mind blast casts only (not especially) takes priority if you can fit in another MF:I after the cast, and otherwise you finish the MF:I casting before mind blasting, no?

2. Yes, the entire channel benefits from Insanity despite Devouring Plague ending during it.
    Worth noting that the mastery procs don't get the insanity benefit once DP drops.

3. It's worth it to cast Death, especcially your orb-generating Death during Insanity - if you are using the 6s death cooldown to generate orbs faster during execute range, it is particularly worthwhile to keep those going during Insanity.
    Don't think you should break insanity for a non orb-generating SW?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    This might just be due to me missunderstanding your usage of the word especially, but I figured I'd ask you to clarify a few things.

Mind blast casts only (not especially) takes priority if you can fit in another MF:I after the cast, and otherwise you finish the MF:I casting before mind blasting, no?
    It really depends how much of a risk you think a second DI proc is - even a full insanity isn't worth a lost DI - but DI procs are rare (which doesn't prevent them from occurring back to back, of course). If you only have a tick left on Insanity it, definitely wait - but in fights where you are DoT cleaving and getting a lot of DI procs - it's probably best to get them out there as quickly as possible. It would be nice if they gave us two charges so we could bank a charge without losing the second.

Don't think you should break insanity for a non orb-generating SW?
    That's correct, what I meant is that - if people aren't actively tracking the Orb refresh cooldown on their deaths - they should cast both deaths at once to invoke the cooldown, rather than casting Death->Insanity->Second Death: the second death wouldn't generate a cooldown and would then invoke Death's cooldown - making it take even longer to generate more orbs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could haste break-point info be updated to 5.3 data please?

WoW since '06, Army wife since '09, U of MD Law

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymie View Post
    Could haste break-point info be updated to 5.3 data please?
    Hmmm! Good idea - probably should have done that sooner!

15+ Year Old Account
    Hyperspeed Accelerators Permanently attaches hyperspeed accelerators to a pair of gloves, allowing a skilled engineer to increase their haste by 240 4,800 for 12 sec. The gloves can only be activated every minute. Engineering. 5 sec cast. Reagents: Tinker's Kit. Tools: Arclight Spanner.
    If this goes through will they be better then the Synapse Springs?
    Sig by Safhira

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by soulyouth View Post
    If this goes through will they be better then the Synapse Springs?
    Discussing this round of datamined info is beyond worthless.

Be patient for actual info.

Ok so my raid team only has 1 spriest right now and with my mage nearing full BiS and my guild master wanting alts to play a bigger role next tier, I decided I am going to start trying to get my priest in on some ToT action and mop up that spr cloth. The problem is I haven't played shadow since firelands so I am heavily disc oriented in my gear (no haste) and I am a little rusty on how to play shadow, so I came to this guide to figure out how to optimize my rotation and what gear I should be looking to get.

This is the part where I get confused, as far as everything I have seen says, spriests should prioritize mastery over crit, but the BiS list in this guide has some crit heavy pieces where mastery pieces exist in their place, is this to reach some sort of minimum crit threshold before starting on mastery? And I am sorry if this has been answered somewhere in the thread already, I'm browsing from my phone so searching through the thread for my answer would kinda be a pain.

Link to priest is in my sig (notvoltaa)

Quote Originally Posted by voltaa View Post
    This is the part where I get confused, as far as everything I have seen says, spriests should prioritize mastery over crit, but the BiS list in this guide has some crit heavy pieces where mastery pieces exist in their place, is this to reach some sort of minimum crit threshold before starting on mastery
    Crit is better until you obtain LMG (which transfers more of your dmg into dots, and dots scale better with mastery than crit), UVLS (which, when proc'ed, renders all your crit rating useless), or of course both. Seeing you have neither, nor are you at some high level of haste, stick with crit.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    So my Shadow Priest should be able to reach the 2nd Haste breakpoint of 10124 Haste, but only if I gem/enchant/reforge mainly only to Haste.

Is it worth it or should I just choose the 1st breakpoint (8085 Haste), which I can reach easily?

Also is it worth to try to reach the 2nd breakpoint even if I can't reach it or use the Haste which was left over from reaching 1st breakpoint?

(Values are from Reforgelite addon which I use for reforging.)
    Depends on your ilvl and gear itemization. Link your armory.

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Armory, was about to include this to my first post but the site was down.
    Stick to what you've currently got. Generally, once you start aiming towards 10124 haste, you also need to be good enough geared to just go for as much haste as you can reach, which you are currently not. The only reason you'd be able to obtain it now is because your gear is very well itemized (almost every item has haste) and you have 2 pure haste JC gems (which I would also suggest changing to pure int, and squeezing some extra haste from reforges to reach 8085), but your ilvl is too low in order for it to be worth to loose out on the intellect. Wait 'till you are ~510 or so ilvl, then go full haste.
    Last edited by veiledy0; 2013-07-12 at 08:09 PM.

Deleted
    In my opinion if you want to have nice dps choose other class:P

shadow is one of weakest right now:P but if you wanna play him do legendary chain meta gem give you really great damage boost

after having meta or/and uvls your stats should be haste>mastery>crit

rotation you can find on any side. remember that when you move you cant dps much... change talents before fights to pick best for situation you are in

PS: Sory for my english:P

Hey community.

I recently dinged my priest to 90 and geared him up. I have a question regarding multi dotting. I understand that its a dps increase to have dots rolling in multiple targets but lets say in a fight like maega, if i dot both heads will my single target dps increase? I know that inflates my dps, but how much of a single target dps increase is dotting both and is it worth it wasting gcds on the second head?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meanor View Post
    Hey community.

I recently dinged my priest to 90 and geared him up. I have a question regarding multi dotting. I understand that its a dps increase to have dots rolling in multiple targets but lets say in a fight like maega, if i dot both heads will my single target dps increase? I know that inflates my dps, but how much of a single target dps increase is dotting both and is it worth it wasting gcds on the second head?
    If you are using Divine Insight it is a single target DPS gain to run Shadow Word: Pain on useless targets just for the occasional MB procs - because Devouring Plague is worth it

Would you say Undead is the best race for DPS?

hi, forgive me if i missed something that is stated in the guide, i would like to know if priest gemming is like warrior/ warlock type that totally ignore str / int and go for secondary stats like crit for war / mastery for lock ?

what im trying to ask is , at very high ilvl will priests ditch int gems and stack 320 haste on every single slot they get ? in that case is blacksmithing a more versatile profession that allows stacking haste gems on the extra gem slots ? just finished leveling a priest cant wait to turn him into a dps monster
    Last edited by JIMM-; 2013-07-24 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooting View Post
    Would you say Undead is the best race for DPS?
    No, it's the worst after Tauren. But it's the only SP race aside Human that doesn't look so god damn ugly that you can't stand looking at your character. And real men don't need racials anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by JIMM- View Post
    what im trying to ask is , at very high ilvl will priests ditch int gems and stack 320 haste on every single slot they get ? in that case is blacksmithing a more versatile profession that allows stacking haste gems on the extra gem slots ?
    Yes, and yes.
    Last edited by veiledy0; 2013-07-24 at 04:22 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    fem troll aside from the feet is ok, I do miss being male human, the perfect gear model and the best flay casting animation in the game
    Last edited by soulyouth; 2013-07-24 at 04:21 AM.
    Sig by Safhira

I never understand why people don't like trolls because of their feet. Female Trolls are awesome, I miss being one.