Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Once you get the LMG or Unerring stat priority:
    Hit (to cap) > Haste > Mastery > Crit

No LMG and no Unerring stat priority:
    Hit (to cap) > Haste > Crit > Mastery

Has the guide been updated for 5.2?

At the beginning it just says "in progress"....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Has the guide been updated for 5.2?

At the beginning it just says "in progress"....
    *sneaks off to finish it*

Errr, Yes!

I actually rewrote pretty much all of it the week 5.2 went live (the Shadow Word: Pain hot-buff and then hot-nerf made me think more might have been coming still) - so I wasn't willing to call it finished, but it's been like a month and nothing new has changed so I guess they are happy with us at this point. Also I had a section in there about 509 gear I wasn't sure how to handle, it wasn't really applicable to 541 BiS issues - so I just snuck off and deleted it
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2013-03-30 at 10:49 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

So, should interrupt MF:I for MB/SW:D?
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    So, should interrupt MF:I for MB/SW:D?
    Yes

The top priority should always be to make Shadow Orbs

MF:I is only worth double the DPET of Mind Flay, it still pales before the power that is Devouring Plague

I would say don't double tap sw:d though. Just wait the 6 secs before hitting it again. That way you can gen the orb and then get back to mfi right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I would say don't double tap sw:d though. Just wait the 6 secs before hitting it again. That way you can gen the orb and then get back to mfi right away.
    Are you sure about this? Attempting to not doubletap Death often can allow you (or even server-client latency) to screw up the timing and miss yourself out of more orbs in the long run than just doubletapping from the getgo.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    It takes some practice but it's definitely a skill you want to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Are you sure about this? Attempting to not doubletap Death often can allow you (or even server-client latency) to screw up the timing and miss yourself out of more orbs in the long run than just doubletapping from the getgo.
    It is about a ~1k DPS gain if you DO NOT double tap IF AND ONLY IF: 1) SWD is up during a MFI channel, or 2) the first SWD tap gives you your 3rd orb in which case you should cast DP.

If you hit SWD again too early, yes it is a DPS loss. You can set up a WA to track the ICD, though.
    @TwintopTahoe Twintop @ Illidan-US HowToPriest
    Simulate Your Character on Beotorch! https://www.beotorch.com/

Hey all,
    I've played a priest for a while and then took a break for over a year. I'm back now, and I can't pull the dps that other shadow priest are putting out there. I know the rotations. My character is Finarc and the realm is Exodar..Could you check my character out and pick it apart for me? Other shadow priest in our guild are putting out 100k+ dps and I level out at 70!!!!! I mean, WTF is that? 70???? And sadly, my iLVL is 501. Any help on this is appreciated. Thank you
    Finarc, Exodar

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Finarc View Post
    Hey all,
    I've played a priest for a while and then took a break for over a year. I'm back now, and I can't pull the dps that other shadow priest are putting out there. I know the rotations. My character is Finarc and the realm is Exodar..Could you check my character out and pick it apart for me? Other shadow priest in our guild are putting out 100k+ dps and I level out at 70!!!!! I mean, WTF is that? 70???? And sadly, my iLVL is 501. Any help on this is appreciated. Thank you
    Finarc, Exodar
    You are about 1-2% above the hit cap if the armory is correct and you should def be going for the haste cap at 8085 at 501 ilvl equipped, you have around 500 haste left which should be simple to deal with

Divine insight is better then power infusion as well unless you need the damage cooldown to get through a part of a fight due to how it interacts with insanity. ( More orbs = More DP and insanity uptime ) If the fight have mobs dipping below 20% on a frequent basis or if it have a execution phase at low % Twist of fate is also good. The other part left would be clipping mind flay properly, good dot uptime, refreshing dots at procs and using mind blast on cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    Divine insight is better then power infusion as well unless you need the damage cooldown to get through a part of a fight due to how it interacts with insanity. ( More orbs = More DP and insanity uptime ) If the fight have mobs dipping below 20% on a frequent basis or if it have a execution phase at low % Twist of fate is also good. The other part left would be clipping mind flay properly, good dot uptime, refreshing dots at procs and using mind blast on cooldown.
    Wrong. Solace and Insanity + Power Infusion is better except for a heavy movement fight.

Correct about the twist of fate part though.

Source with maths and proofs and discussions and logics and graphs: http://warcraft.twintop-tahoe.com/?p=631

Sorry if this has been answered, but I'm currently leveling my spriest and plan to make it my main alt. I'm guessing you don't actually gem straight stats until a certain gear level(where obviously that stat is worth more then half of intellect) but as a newly dinged shadow priest with hopes to progressively get gear through lfr; is there a certain stat priority I should follow(any breakpoint I should try for?) and in terms of gems would I do Brilliant in red, reckless in yellow and veiled in blue? Thanks!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kink View Post
    Sorry if this has been answered, but I'm currently leveling my spriest and plan to make it my main alt. I'm guessing you don't actually gem straight stats until a certain gear level(where obviously that stat is worth more then half of intellect) but as a newly dinged shadow priest with hopes to progressively get gear through lfr; is there a certain stat priority I should follow(any breakpoint I should try for?) and in terms of gems would I do Brilliant in red, reckless in yellow and veiled in blue? Thanks!
    If you read the first post I tried to make it as brief as possible in the short version. For now you should probably prioritize Intellect for gemming, and then haste for reforging - once you are capable of reaching 8085 haste without sacrificing too much int (a few 320 haste gems are good), go for that.

I just got my 4 piece and the trinket from Lei-Shen, I know as soon as that trinket procs I should recast my dots. But if another trinket procs like the Essence of Brillance say 6 sec later do I recast again or would that wipe my 100% crit dots. Is the 7333 int enough to redot even if the Lei-Shen trinket has not procced. Been going back and reading thru stuff trying to get more of a handle on things. Thank You

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haavok1 View Post
    I just got my 4 piece and the trinket from Lei-Shen, I know as soon as that trinket procs I should recast my dots. But if another trinket procs like the Essence of Brillance say 6 sec later do I recast again or would that wipe my 100% crit dots. Is the 7333 int enough to redot even if the Lei-Shen trinket has not procced. Been going back and reading thru stuff trying to get more of a handle on things. Thank You
    Once your Lei Shen-buffed DoTs are active I'd let them run the full duration without recasting to harness other procs, 7333 int is a Lot - but auto-crit dots and the apparitions they spawn should be worth more. I haven't mathed that for you, because Lei Shen logic gets a little tricksy - but intuitively I'm confident about it. Let's say you have ~40k spellpower, 7333 int proc is going to give you about 10k additional spellpower or 25% bonus damage (thats not really accurate, but lets roll with it for a moment) - by itself that's easily worth a recast, but is it better than Lei Shen?

Lei Shen buffs your dots by 100% (100% crit chance) subtract your existing crit percent (so lets say... 30% crit chance) thats 70% bonus damage on your Lei Shen-buffed dots, then you have Pain-crits = Apparitions, so you spawn more apparitions which deal damage of their own (+233% more apparitions while those dots are active, since each tick now procs one, rather than 3/10 ticks), then your set bonus kicks in and gives those 100% apparition spawn rate a 65% chance to extend your 100% crit-chance DoTs (but the endless cycle this could potentially spawn was patched to break beyond 100% dot length extension) - so the extended dots means fewer dot-recasts, means free GCDs.

No other proc should be able to come close to Lei Shen, especcially given our current set bonuses.

This does give me an interesting idea though... would it be worth casting a 2/3 Devouring Plague during Lei Shen knowing that it would maintain 100% crit chance = ~70% damage buff (assuming 30% crit chance) - seems so! If you can jam it in there before the proc ends.

Lei Shen has not given me a trinket yet so I can't test, maybe he's saving it for sunday

Deleted
    ...would that wipe my 100% crit dots.
    Just to clarify what Yvalle said, recasting your dots after the unerring proc disappears will indeed wipe your 100% dot crits.

Hello, I got question regarding MF:I and DP usage.
    If I use DP the next global I get 3 orbs (in normal situation) and then spam MF:I, I usually find myself in the situation where my DP expires before I land my next MB (and then I'll loose abit of MF:I uptime coz I can't recast it just before DP wears off). Wouldn't it be worth delaying DP for "abit" aka 3-4 seconds in order to squeeze in MB cast and then easily clip MF:I when its around 0,5 sec left on the DP? I've not found any explanation abou this but I'm curious if its a dps gain or if I'm doing smth wrong
    Last edited by Makarena; 2013-04-14 at 02:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Makarena View Post
    Hello, I got question regarding MF:I and DP usage.
    If I use DP the next global I get 3 orbs (in normal situation) and then spam MF:I, I usually find myself in the situation where my DP expires before I land my next MB (and then I'll loose abit of MF:I uptime coz I can't recast it just before DP wears off). Wouldn't it be worth delaying DP for "abit" aka 3-4 seconds in order to squeeze in MB cast and then easily clip MF:I when its around 0,5 sec left on the DP? I've not found any explanation abou this but I'm curious if its a dps gain or if I'm doing smth wrong
    Pretty much, yes:P. I think there's a generael consensus that you ideally you want to delay your DP to the point where you can channel mf:i, get the next mindblast off, and still have enough DP time left to start a new mf:i after. If your DP will drop during the mb cast, don't clip your mf:i, finish the cast and then cast your mind blast.

(for the following I'm not sure if everyone agrees with me, but according to my math/estimates it should be true). Assuming that your dots have a lot of time left and you have decent haste popping your DP->mf:i channel right after you cast your third mind blast should yield a similar (or superior, if your dot refresh doesn't line-up well for the earlier method) amount of dps. Your dots should never really drop for more than a second or two regardless of what you do, but not having to refresh them before it's necessary is a slight gain, which combined with the slight extra mf:i time should offset the fact that your mind blast gets very slightly delayed (roughly a sec) with this method. If your dots will/would expire during this (if you don't refresh them) this method is simply outright inferior to the one suggested in the previous paragraph.

I'm probably a bit confusing, let me know if I should clarify something:P.
    Last edited by mmoc321e539296; 2013-04-14 at 03:03 PM.