Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    New games = steam exclusive ?

    Hey,

    For a couple of months I witness something bad happening, I mean all new games are steam mandatory.

    I personally have nothing against steam, but I am against when something becomes mandatory.

    Examples are skyrim, mass effect 3, risen II and civilisation V.

    So I am wondering why do games nowdays have to be on steam even If I buy retail version of it.

    I am against it especially if those are single player games, which do not need to be connected at all to the internet so why more and more games are going this direction.

    Why can't we have retail and steam version of the games.

    You have ps3 and xbox games, yet they are consoles simillar. Of course different companies run them but they are consoles.

    Yet you have different disc for ps3 and xbox so why can't we have the same for pc retail version and steam version.

    Is this some plan to destroy shops that sells games or what ?

    What caused developers to take this course of action.

    I prefer to have boxes of my games, that is why I always bought retail version of my games.

    So my question remains why developers are forcing us to use steam mandatory. I personally hate when someone forcing me to do something which I am paying for.

    So what do you think will in the future games only be sold by steam or shops that sells games will exists ?

    Cherrs,
    Sew

  2. #2
    Its so you can't resell the games and because publishers/developers think that it stops piracy(hint: it doesn't)

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    Its so you can't resell the games and because publishers/developers think that it stops piracy(hint: it doesn't)
    They sold me the box of their game so what I do with it, it is not their business.

    They should stick of making good games instead of producing new anty piracy system.

    Pirates know how to overwrite those systems for years now, so it doesn't prevent piracy, it does the opposite because with legal copies there is too much trouble compareted to pirate ones.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    Hey,

    For a couple of months I witness something bad happening, I mean all new games are steam mandatory.


    Examples are skyrim, mass effect 3, risen II and civilisation V.
    Mass Effect 3 isn't on Steam.
    Asdfgh

  5. #5
    Field Marshal rmViper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bucharest
    Posts
    93
    It's easier/cheaper for the developers to distribute their games digitally and Steam is a pretty good distribution platform.
    Mass Effect 3, and all new EA games for that matter, are Origin exclusive because EA tries to kick start their old download manager and boast about how well it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aoremas
    It's called stealth for a reason, you are supposed to be INVISIBLE.

  6. #6
    Steam is the only online distribution platform doing it right imo.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    Its so you can't resell the games and because publishers/developers think that it stops piracy(hint: it doesn't)
    It does, to some extent.
    If you want to play a multiplayer game on steam with some friends, you will have to pay for it.

    On the other hand, ofcourse, if you want to play a single player game (steam or not) there are more than 1 way to pirate it.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Duping View Post
    It does, to some extent.
    If you want to play a multiplayer game on steam with some friends, you will have to pay for it.

    On the other hand, ofcourse, if you want to play a single player game (steam or not) there are more than 1 way to pirate it.
    You can get multiplayer cracked versions as well, I'm not sure if you can play with people with legit copies of the game, though.

  9. #9
    One, it's cheaper. A steam download doesn't require a box or cd to be manufactured. They don't have to ship boxes to stores.

    Two, welcome to the age of connectivity. It's becoming more and more common practice that games require a connection to a service (steam, b.net, xbox live, psn) in order to access play servers. They do this mostly I think to verify that you have a legal copy/account for their game. It cuts down on piracy. Of course it doesn't stop it completely, but nothing will.

    edit:
    Steam is the only online distribution platform doing it right imo.
    I agree. I don't know why so many people have hate for steam.
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

  10. #10
    Steam and other stuff like that completely ruined ability to buy any decent game in game shops in my country. Those shops are just going out of the business (one by one steadily), as you can't buy game and play it without messing with Steam and other DRM. Steam requries Internet, and it is just more "convenient" to buy game there. People with bad internet or without it at all aren't buying games in game shops as well.

    Steam won't see a single cent of mine, I will rather support pirates or alter game executable myself, than to bother with all that nonsense, which hurts rights of customer. Even if it would mean "no new PC games for me anymore", so be it. It's not like I would miss anything, as most of new games are all about super graphics, but gameplay is far-far beyond terrible.

    All Steam (and similar systems) achieved was further promotion of piracy and ruination of physical game shops.

  11. #11
    Skyrim and Civ V may be partly due to the modding community that steam can support.

    I honestly think physical game shops are a thing of the past. Steam allows me to browse for games and buy them a lot faster, with no hassle, and often provides insanely attractive discounts. The game boxes don't clog my shelves, I can never lose the disc, steam remembers my screenshots, my savegames, my achievements, links me up with my friends, reminds me of DLC etc.
    Last edited by Ratyrel; 2012-07-05 at 04:31 PM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post

    Steam won't see a single cent of mine, I will rather support pirates or alter game executable myself, than to bother with all that nonsense, which hurts rights of customer. Even if it would mean "no new PC games for me anymore", so be it. It's not like I would miss anything, as most of new games are all about super graphics, but gameplay is far-far beyond terrible.

    All Steam (and similar systems) achieved was further promotion of piracy and ruination of physical game shops.
    Couldn't disagree more to be honest, yes steam needs a connection for the initial down load but you don't need an always on connection, pretty sure every game on my list which was designed for a console/pc use (not online specific game) is capable of full play in offline mode.

    Infact all steam does seem to do for me is allow all my games in one list, with easy install/uninstall and at very good prices. I have countless games which i have bought from steam simply because they are so cheap.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by grisset View Post
    One, it's cheaper. A steam download doesn't require a box or cd to be manufactured. They don't have to ship boxes to stores.

    Two, welcome to the age of connectivity. It's becoming more and more common practice that games require a connection to a service (steam, b.net, xbox live, psn) in order to access play servers. They do this mostly I think to verify that you have a legal copy/account for their game. It cuts down on piracy. Of course it doesn't stop it completely, but nothing will.

    edit:

    I agree. I don't know why so many people have hate for steam.
    Steam is only good to go on the block list of a Firewall to never go out !!!
    as to why so many people hate steam, thats pretty easy, no one knows what they are doing with your data or better said no one really wants to know, what they are not doing with your data .....

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Lierial View Post
    Steam is only good to go on the block list of a Firewall to never go out !!!
    as to why so many people hate steam, thats pretty easy, no one knows what they are doing with your data or better said no one really wants to know, what they are not doing with your data .....
    I think you may have been sitting in your tin foil tent too much. My precious dataz!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Lierial View Post
    Steam is only good to go on the block list of a Firewall to never go out !!!
    as to why so many people hate steam, thats pretty easy, no one knows what they are doing with your data or better said no one really wants to know, what they are not doing with your data .....
    Is that not the same with itunes or amazon or any other online purchasing site? Just be mindful of your credit card accounts... Of course there's some healthy paranoia when it comes to the internet, but that's no reason to avoid it at all costs...
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

  16. #16
    Offline mode is your friend. I don't understand why people are bothered by having to be online to play games. Doesn't most people have broadband and have access to internet at all times? Ofc the internet can go down but how often does that really happens? This year my internet have been down longer than 10 mins once.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by blupparen View Post
    Offline mode is your friend. I don't understand why people are bothered by having to be online to play games. Doesn't most people have broadband and have access to internet at all times? Ofc the internet can go down but how often does that really happens? This year my internet have been down longer than 10 mins once.
    Actually no they don't, a lot of people have data caps/intermittent connections, which is why I detest most online distribution services. All my steam games however work in offline mode except the ones specifically for online gaming. As such I use them for a lot of my games, just today I picked up 3 of their under £4 titles, things like that are perfect for train journeys ect.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    Hey,

    For a couple of months I witness something bad happening, I mean all new games are steam mandatory.

    I personally have nothing against steam, but I am against when something becomes mandatory.

    Examples are skyrim, mass effect 3, risen II and civilisation V.

    So I am wondering why do games nowdays have to be on steam even If I buy retail version of it.

    I am against it especially if those are single player games, which do not need to be connected at all to the internet so why more and more games are going this direction.

    Why can't we have retail and steam version of the games.

    You have ps3 and xbox games, yet they are consoles simillar. Of course different companies run them but they are consoles.

    Yet you have different disc for ps3 and xbox so why can't we have the same for pc retail version and steam version.

    Is this some plan to destroy shops that sells games or what ?

    What caused developers to take this course of action.

    I prefer to have boxes of my games, that is why I always bought retail version of my games.

    So my question remains why developers are forcing us to use steam mandatory. I personally hate when someone forcing me to do something which I am paying for.

    So what do you think will in the future games only be sold by steam or shops that sells games will exists ?

    Cherrs,
    Sew
    First Like some one else said- Mass effect 3 wasn't on steam- was on origin, EA's exclusive Digital Distribution software.

    There is no plan to destroy game shops, having it offered on steam (or for Digital download) allows for the media to reach a far wider audience, and offers much more convince that running down to the store every time you wanna check out a game that you think might have potential.

    Developers took this course of action for many reasons, some being a wider audience (more money), made it easier for the devs to control patches (steam auto updates, taking much of the patching concerns out of the hands of the end user). Those are just my/the biggest 2.

    What happens to those boxes and CDs that you would rather have? Most end up making a copy to install/run from and the box gets shelved- never opened again or something silimar. Its Honestly a waste of resources and time. Steam and the Like are a better media for delivering games because of Conveniences, Sales, Larger Audiences, better patching methods. The last is a big one, Dev's no longer have to worry to much about how patches are applied as steam/origin will handle it for them, the just have to upload the new files to the Steam archive, and the clients version will download the changes automatically. This is especially important in games Like Counter Strike or Halo where a player doesn't have to worry about client/server file miss match.

    I've said it before, Dev's and Gaming Companies are making steam mandatory because of how easy Steam makes it to patch their game. Besides Steam is free for the end user, provides many sales on a Weekly basis, opens up the possiblity to get old games you missed at greatly reduced prices. You are buying their software, and agreeing to the ToS/EULA, but you aren't buying Steam. If your argument is about needing steam to run the game- you don't. You can have steam put a launcher on your desktop, have steam in offline mode- and never worry about it again.

    Steam caught a lot of shit when it first came out, however I loved it since its early beta release (which I luckily had access too). It is the future of game distribution. its more Eco friendly, provides more media then traditional stores, has better sales, grants wider audiences gaming possibilities, makes it easier for devs to release new content and update old content. What does Traditional methods have? Box art.. concept art books, manuals... larger price tags because of the need for physical media + all the extra crap thrown in... All stuff I can get off the net for free to begin with (some on takes pictures and uploads it to the net).

    As for what Drathos said- no they didn't do it because the thought it would stop piracy, and for most games reselling isn't a big issue (why GamStop in the us is so popular). Steam DID help control piracy a little by offering games at discounted prices. People have always traded games- thus the concept of stopping the re-sell of games was never a concern as it adds more/longer life to a game.

  19. #19
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    13,257
    I hated Steam when it forced itself on my computer with Half Life 2. Then I hated it again when the same occured for Skyrim (HL2 didn't work on my old computer so when I uninstalled HL2, Steam followed, and didn't return until Skyrim.)

    I am now learning to love Steam.

    1. Easy access to DLC.
    2. Easy access to patches, which keeps Skyrim up to date.
    3. Fantastic sales (need I mention again how I got Deus Ex:HR for seven bucks?)

    Steam is what Origin only dreams of being.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  20. #20
    I like Steam and all, but I hate it when any game forces you to use some kind of program to play it. It's one of the reasons why I don't buy games that force you to use Origin. If I didn't use Steam already, then I probably wouldn't buy PC games that forced you to use Steam as well, but I buy my games digitally most of the time anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •