Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,327
    Television destroyed radio, and now we don't have radio.
    Steam is obviously destroying shops, so now we won't have shops, right?

    Yeah, no.

    If a game isn't on Steam, I usually don't buy it, unless its an Xbox exclusive (Don't have ps3 or wii), or it has a stupidly cheap price (i.e. dues ex for $8 on amazon digital. I'll probably rebuy it on steam if it pops on sale)

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    If a game isn't on Steam, I usually don't buy it...
    Me neither.

    I Don't see the point of buy something that i can't active on Steam/Origin, if i can't active on these and the game doesn't have online mode, what makes different from downloading it from a torrent?

    If a developer want me to buy his offline game, just put on Steam.

  3. #23
    the only things i buy from steam are games that cost $5 and below. otherwise, if a game is steam-only, or has other intrusive DRM forms, i pirate it.

    not that i run into the problem much as i mainly play console games and very rarely play computer games other than MMOs.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    Skyrim and Civ V may be partly due to the modding community that steam can support.

    I honestly think physical game shops are a thing of the past. Steam allows me to browse for games and buy them a lot faster, with no hassle, and often provides insanely attractive discounts. The game boxes don't clog my shelves, I can never lose the disc, steam remembers my screenshots, my savegames, my achievements, links me up with my friends, reminds me of DLC etc.
    The things is I love the boxes of my games.

    I have to put books and clothes that I do not use into basement because I was running out of space lol.

    I love the boxes, especially old ones, still have my baldur's gate box.

    ---------- Post added 2012-07-05 at 08:20 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Television destroyed radio, and now we don't have radio.
    Steam is obviously destroying shops, so now we won't have shops, right?

    Yeah, no.

    If a game isn't on Steam, I usually don't buy it, unless its an Xbox exclusive (Don't have ps3 or wii), or it has a stupidly cheap price (i.e. dues ex for $8 on amazon digital. I'll probably rebuy it on steam if it pops on sale)
    I just love to go to game shop ( i don't meant that uk developer, shop that sells game= games shop) and browser what games are avaliable.

    It is the same with buying books.

    So if a book doesn't have marketing behind you do not buy it, that is just stupid.

    ---------- Post added 2012-07-05 at 08:29 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
    First Like some one else said- Mass effect 3 wasn't on steam- was on origin, EA's exclusive Digital Distribution software.

    There is no plan to destroy game shops, having it offered on steam (or for Digital download) allows for the media to reach a far wider audience, and offers much more convince that running down to the store every time you wanna check out a game that you think might have potential.

    Developers took this course of action for many reasons, some being a wider audience (more money), made it easier for the devs to control patches (steam auto updates, taking much of the patching concerns out of the hands of the end user). Those are just my/the biggest 2.

    What happens to those boxes and CDs that you would rather have? Most end up making a copy to install/run from and the box gets shelved- never opened again or something silimar. Its Honestly a waste of resources and time. Steam and the Like are a better media for delivering games because of Conveniences, Sales, Larger Audiences, better patching methods. The last is a big one, Dev's no longer have to worry to much about how patches are applied as steam/origin will handle it for them, the just have to upload the new files to the Steam archive, and the clients version will download the changes automatically. This is especially important in games Like Counter Strike or Halo where a player doesn't have to worry about client/server file miss match.

    I've said it before, Dev's and Gaming Companies are making steam mandatory because of how easy Steam makes it to patch their game. Besides Steam is free for the end user, provides many sales on a Weekly basis, opens up the possiblity to get old games you missed at greatly reduced prices. You are buying their software, and agreeing to the ToS/EULA, but you aren't buying Steam. If your argument is about needing steam to run the game- you don't. You can have steam put a launcher on your desktop, have steam in offline mode- and never worry about it again.

    Steam caught a lot of shit when it first came out, however I loved it since its early beta release (which I luckily had access too). It is the future of game distribution. its more Eco friendly, provides more media then traditional stores, has better sales, grants wider audiences gaming possibilities, makes it easier for devs to release new content and update old content. What does Traditional methods have? Box art.. concept art books, manuals... larger price tags because of the need for physical media + all the extra crap thrown in... All stuff I can get off the net for free to begin with (some on takes pictures and uploads it to the net).

    As for what Drathos said- no they didn't do it because the thought it would stop piracy, and for most games reselling isn't a big issue (why GamStop in the us is so popular). Steam DID help control piracy a little by offering games at discounted prices. People have always traded games- thus the concept of stopping the re-sell of games was never a concern as it adds more/longer life to a game.
    Origin, steam it is the same thing maybe different quality but the same.

    I am not against steam, I am against MANDATORY Steam.

    No offence but I feel better when I can touch something rather then something that is only digital. I want to see things that I purchased.

    You can have all "Box art.. concept art books, manuals... etc. with the need to download it and print. I prefer that way.

    Yes there is great convenience with having something virtual since you do not really have it since it is bound to your steam and for what ever reason it were bound you can lost all your games with you spend money on, which are legaly yours I must add.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    The things is I love the boxes of my games.

    I have to put books and clothes that I do not use into basement because I was running out of space lol.

    I love the boxes, especially old ones, still have my baldur's gate box.

    ---------- Post added 2012-07-05 at 08:20 PM ----------



    I just love to go to game shop ( i don't meant that uk developer, shop that sells game= games shop) and browser what games are avaliable.

    It is the same with buying books.

    So if a book doesn't have marketing behind you do not buy it, that is just stupid.

    ---------- Post added 2012-07-05 at 08:29 PM ----------



    Origin, steam it is the same thing maybe different quality but the same.

    I am not against steam, I am against MANDATORY Steam.

    No offence but I feel better when I can touch something rather then something that is only digital. I want to see things that I purchased.

    You can have all "Box art.. concept art books, manuals... etc. with the need to download it and print. I prefer that way.

    Yes there is great convenience with having something virtual since you do not really have it since it is bound to your steam and for what ever reason it were bound you can lost all your games with you spend money on, which are legaly yours I must add.
    Your last sentence- I can't make sense of it, very very confusing.

    I'm not offended- but just so you know your "need to have a physical copy because of touch and looks" is an outdated concept that most elderly used when the digital revolution started.

    There isn't a need to download per say, but you can get all the extra visual crap and do that, including printing the full box art. Get a digital copy, print off the box art and what not, put it on a or around a small cardboard box you made your self. Burn the ISO to a disk and BAM you have your physical copy again. I remember some time back someone doing this back in the day of steams first appearances, but didn't follow it.

    You'll need to explain how steam is being MANDATORY for the game(s) you play? again there is a offline mode, and an option to make a launcher on your desktop that will by pass steam- this is for single player games only though. For multiplayer- you do kind of need to be online any way, and between matches and what not, the steam overly is amazing. I can read a manga or news post on my favorite sites while waiting for a map to load, visually see the map load and switch back to playing with out worry that alt tabbing back in will screw something up graphics wise (was using an old pc for while where alt tabing back in would take 20+ minutes to get graphics back for the game).

    An example of this from my own library- Reckoning: Kingdoms of Almor. Because of my job I often find my self at "camp" sites where there is no internet connection. I have a launcher on my desktop/start bar. It completely by passes the mandatory aspect of steam to run it.

  6. #26
    Herald of the Titans Ave07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,879
    I wish publishers would have their own service like Valve has Steam and EA has Origin why can't Ubisoft do the same? I have so many Ubisoft games since they are either not on steam or I get a really good discount elsewhere and yet, Ubisoft doesn't have their own service where I could put my all my serial codes on and download it anytime like Steam or Origins.

  7. #27
    It's easier to distribute.
    it's easier to keep patched.
    Steam has a huge userbase.

    Why wouldn't you? Why would you bother doing all of those things (distributing the game via CD or whatever method, developing your own launcher/patcher) when steam can do it for you? Why wouldn't you want your game on a platform that pushes your game on the front page of millions of users before and after it launches, without you having to do a single thing? Why would you deprive your users the ability to install your game on any computer quickly and easily provided they have a valid steam account and they have your game linked to their account?

    Lastly, again, steam is a huge platform and it's only growing. There is literally every possible reason to put your game on steam and no reason not to. If you don't have a steam account then the joke is seriously on you, not them.

    Also, to the chump who said "developers think that by putting it on steam they are eliminating piracy". No, you idiot, they don't think that at all. I seriously doubt developers of games put much thought into making sure their games aren't crackable, that's why companies like PunkBuster and the like are around, they bring them in to handle that crap so they don't have to worry about it. Secondly, games, just like everything else, will always be susceptible to cracking and pirating. It's the way of the Internet.

  8. #28
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    459
    While I do understand that you simply don't want every game on steam there are 2 solutions:

    Buy it off steam and use steam...which honestly isnt bad at all.
    Pirate it so you don't need steam.

    Sadly that is where the market is going. But steam sooooo many sells I prefer to be honest nowadays

  9. #29
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    聖ミカエル女子学園
    Posts
    6,696
    Well, the steam 'exclusive' is the developer's fault really. They're the ones that programmed it to be that way. As said, it's to prevent piracy, but yeah that's not going to happen.

    I personally love steam. It has it's derps, and all that, overall love it.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-07-05 at 08:29 PM.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
    Your last sentence- I can't make sense of it, very very confusing.

    I'm not offended- but just so you know your "need to have a physical copy because of touch and looks" is an outdated concept that most elderly used when the digital revolution started.

    There isn't a need to download per say, but you can get all the extra visual crap and do that, including printing the full box art. Get a digital copy, print off the box art and what not, put it on a or around a small cardboard box you made your self. Burn the ISO to a disk and BAM you have your physical copy again. I remember some time back someone doing this back in the day of steams first appearances, but didn't follow it.

    You'll need to explain how steam is being MANDATORY for the game(s) you play? again there is a offline mode, and an option to make a launcher on your desktop that will by pass steam- this is for single player games only though. For multiplayer- you do kind of need to be online any way, and between matches and what not, the steam overly is amazing. I can read a manga or news post on my favorite sites while waiting for a map to load, visually see the map load and switch back to playing with out worry that alt tabbing back in will screw something up graphics wise (was using an old pc for while where alt tabing back in would take 20+ minutes to get graphics back for the game).

    An example of this from my own library- Reckoning: Kingdoms of Almor. Because of my job I often find my self at "camp" sites where there is no internet connection. I have a launcher on my desktop/start bar. It completely by passes the mandatory aspect of steam to run it.
    MY firefox wasn't working properly. So I wanted to end it quickly with reading my sentence second time, sorry for that.

    What I meant was that your really do not have things that you bought on steam. Break the rulez = banned. You can't access any of your games. Ok you broke the rulez of one game but you haven't done it with others games. You bought them legaly and have a legit right to use them but you can't.

    That is why I do not like steam. When I for example cheated on some multiplayer shooter and got banned from it. It is reasonable. But what isn't reasonable if they banned from all shooters because I cheated on one of them. And this is how steam works that which I do not like. For me it should be legal even. Since steam only is a distribution company, and not a guardian of anti cheating.

    What is next ? If I say someone is dumbass will i get banned for behaving improperly.

    It doesn't mean I am some kind of cheater but I am giving you the information that they can do it.

    I would understand if they would give money for the games you weren't banned in.

    For example I have 1000 games, cheated at one, got banned and cannot access my 999 games because I cheated in one.

    Can you tell me how fair it is ?

    That is why I will stick to retail games since they do not have that stupid requirements.

  11. #31
    Bloodsail Admiral Torched's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    MY firefox wasn't working properly. So I wanted to end it quickly with reading my sentence second time, sorry for that.

    What I meant was that your really do not have things that you bought on steam. Break the rulez = banned. You can't access any of your games. Ok you broke the rulez of one game but you haven't done it with others games. You bought them legaly and have a legit right to use them but you can't.

    That is why I do not like steam. When I for example cheated on some multiplayer shooter and got banned from it. It is reasonable. But what isn't reasonable if they banned from all shooters because I cheated on one of them. And this is how steam works that which I do not like. For me it should be legal even. Since steam only is a distribution company, and not a guardian of anti cheating.

    What is next ? If I say someone is dumbass will i get banned for behaving improperly.

    It doesn't mean I am some kind of cheater but I am giving you the information that they can do it.

    I would understand if they would give money for the games you weren't banned in.

    For example I have 1000 games, cheated at one, got banned and cannot access my 999 games because I cheated in one.

    Can you tell me how fair it is ?

    That is why I will stick to retail games since they do not have that stupid requirements.
    The bold statement is bullshit, so much bullshit.

    You will NOT get banned from Steam by using hacks/cheats.
    You will NOT get banned from other Fps games if you cheated in one of them.
    You will be banned from the servers of the game that you where cheating in, for example if you where cheating in Counter-Strike Source you would be banned from all servers that use VAC security, and that´s just servers for that game, you will not get banned from Counter-Strike 1.6 servers etc.

    You will need to do something VERY VERY stupid to be banned from Steam, and if you get banned its your own fault.

    OT.

    IMO..... retail shops can go F*Ck them self, If a game is not on Steam I will simply not buy it.
    Last edited by Torched; 2012-07-06 at 03:39 AM.

  12. #32
    Except that, while those games are all on steam, every single one of them has a boxed DVD version as well...? What are you trying to get at?

    Also, in case you didn't know, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE ONLINE TO PLAY YOUR GAMES. Unless the game itself specifically requires an internet connection (Fuck you, Settlers 7!) you can just download/install your game(s), and put steam in offline mode. I have no idea what affect this has on achievements (I don't think any at all) and it prevents you from automatically downloading patches as they come out, but it's great when you're on a laptop or something and nowhere near a hotspot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    For example I have 1000 games, cheated at one, got banned and cannot access my 999 games because I cheated in one.
    Rofl. If ANYONE ever came here and claimed that they cheated in a game and got their entire Steam account suspended, I would seriously hope they got hit by a bus very quickly. There are very few things that will get your entire Steam account shut down permanently, and the average Joe doesn't have any idea how do to that. I cheat in my steam games all the freaking time (not talking about online gaming here folks) and my Steam account is perfectly fine. Steam isn't an MMO, it's not a game. It's simply a company that sells and supports games. They do not give two shits if you cheat at games, even online/Multiplayer games. It's not their business.
    Last edited by endersblade; 2012-07-06 at 03:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .

  13. #33
    My only issue with Steam is they don't verify whether products are functional before offering the games on their catalog. I've been sitting on a useless copy of Penny Arcade Adventures Episode 2 for over a week because Steam passed the issue along to Hothead Games which dropped support for the game. The basic issue is the game cannot load properly. There are a bunch of people who bought the game last week when it was advertised and we can't use it. Episode 1 works just fine however.

  14. #34
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    If a game isn't on Steam, I usually don't buy it, unless its an Xbox exclusive (Don't have ps3 or wii), or it has a stupidly cheap price (i.e. dues ex for $8 on amazon digital. I'll probably rebuy it on steam if it pops on sale)
    Just make sure that you cant add the cd-key to your steam account before you rebuy it.

  15. #35
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    13,252
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Also, in case you didn't know, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE ONLINE TO PLAY YOUR GAMES. Unless the game itself specifically requires an internet connection (Fuck you, Settlers 7!) you can just download/install your game(s), and put steam in offline mode. I have no idea what affect this has on achievements (I don't think any at all) and it prevents you from automatically downloading patches as they come out, but it's great when you're on a laptop or something and nowhere near a hotspot.
    Until patch 1.6 (as far as I can guess anyways, since after the patch it's been working) I was unable to launch Skyrim while online. As such, though my Steam account records achievements that I've earned since Nov 11, they record me only playing 12 hours of Skyrim. Now I know it records achievements even while offline because I have the achievement for 100,000 gold, something my current character does not have, nor is it possible to get that much gold in 12 hours (not without cheating.) I've only played one character since I've been able to launch Skyrim with Steam online.

    So it won't record your hours played, but it will record achievements, as far as I can tell. But my guess is it won't update your achievements until you switch Steam to online mode.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  16. #36
    Brewmaster Voidgazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Silent Hill
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    steam
    something bad
    This doesn't make any sense.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    The bold statement is bullshit, so much bullshit.

    You will NOT get banned from Steam by using hacks/cheats.
    You will NOT get banned from other Fps games if you cheated in one of them.

    You will need to do something VERY VERY stupid to be banned from Steam, and if you get banned its your own fault.
    Seweryn- this is the truth. I Have Gone through the whole process of being Banned via steam detection- I can tell you that they only ban you from games from the same company. I loved MW1 and MW2- cheating was rampant in MW2 so fed up I did the same and ended up getting Detected by Vac and banned. Since I was banned in MW2, I would be banned in MW1, Mw3, Black ops1, Black ops2 and any others from Treyarc specifically. However, that is just because of how "servers" work in MW, as for what Torched said, if you get VAC banned in 1 server playing CS:Source, you will be banned from ALL servers running VAC software (some used Punk Buster and some have 0 detection) this does include the rest of the half life franchise as all VAC resources are linked. What is to be said- You still have access to the games, you can still open and play the single player versions, and in games where you have server choices, finding one with out VAC/PB can be played on; with a few games like CoD being exceptions (can't do multiplayer because there are no servers and the game bans you from playing online period).

  18. #38
    Mechagnome Window's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    695
    Given the choice i prefer to buy games over steam considering the price is usually better than the box costs
    especially in Australia
    What did irritate me beyond belief was been forced to use Origin ( spit ) for Mass effect 3
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Window View Post
    Given the choice i prefer to buy games over steam considering the price is usually better than the box costs
    especially in Australia
    What did irritate me beyond belief was been forced to use Origin ( spit ) for Mass effect 3
    Many will sudo defend origin saying that Steam did it as well with Half-life 2. The real problem with Origin isn't that it is required to play EA only games currently, but that its essential re inventing the tire. Person A (Valve) sees the importance of making a flexible tire for a wheel (new media to distribute games), uses ruber (creates steam). Person B (EA) sees same importance same time, but doesn't develop any thing of use till years later, uses hard plastic (Origin). Now, before we get to far off topic, EA has been trying to implement a DM for their games for some time, the first was for Battlefield 2142 (didn't work out so well) but I forget the actual date on it- They had several iterations of it until they essential copied Steam with Orgin. To bad they did it in a piss poor manner, and at this point in the game was entirely unnecessary.

  20. #40
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    聖ミカエル女子学園
    Posts
    6,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
    Seweryn- this is the truth. I Have Gone through the whole process of being Banned via steam detection- I can tell you that they only ban you from games from the same company. I loved MW1 and MW2- cheating was rampant in MW2 so fed up I did the same and ended up getting Detected by Vac and banned. Since I was banned in MW2, I would be banned in MW1, Mw3, Black ops1, Black ops2 and any others from Treyarc specifically. However, that is just because of how "servers" work in MW, as for what Torched said, if you get VAC banned in 1 server playing CS:Source, you will be banned from ALL servers running VAC software (some used Punk Buster and some have 0 detection) this does include the rest of the half life franchise as all VAC resources are linked. What is to be said- You still have access to the games, you can still open and play the single player versions, and in games where you have server choices, finding one with out VAC/PB can be played on; with a few games like CoD being exceptions (can't do multiplayer because there are no servers and the game bans you from playing online period).
    I'll just add. The few ways you can get your steam account actually banned, is if you do something illegal as in try to run pirated games on it and got caught, tried to unlock steam to have all of the games 'available' to play via a custom steam client. Such things like that. Very much known as being completely retarded.

    CoD has a different detection system than the Valve games. They're recorded and that's why you're banned from the franchise basically. VAC / Valve Anti-cheat is well... valve's, and any game that has VAC will no longer let you play on official online or VAC protected games. You can check via going to steam account settings and look at "VAC Status".
    An example would be for example you got VAC banned in CS:S, then you can't play online ranked in Dungeon Defenders (not a Valve game but uses VAC).

    Note, this ban is only on VAC protected or any other designated VAC enforced areas. You can still play on non protected / enforced games/servers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •