Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Monetary wise, D3 is nothing short of a success. This is pretty much indisputable.

Actual game itself failed to the majority of players expecting a "Diablo" game. The list explaining why is rather long and it differs between the players (some hate the online-only, some hate the RMAH, endgame, etc.) and my personal list is rather long as well.

-Simplified Item Stats was a major step down from D2 (On this I blame the lack of innovation and making every form of dmg Crit-able)

-D3 is more of a goldfarm than an item hunt (Many factors from bad Item RNG to Global AH tool)

-Terrible post-login interface compared to D2 (and I promise this isn't nostalgia talking)

-Too tired to continue the list but those are the big ones for me

Now Blizz did provide something on D3 that I praise them for on this and just about all of their games: the smooth gameplay/visuals. ATM its the best I've seen compared to other ARPGs.

i agree about the replay value.. huge + in diablo 2.. the game is still quite playable with the exception of some lag and bots... i remember going through act 1 storming the cathedral finally getting through the catacombs to Andariel... and running as far as i could away from her so i dont get killed lol.

act 2.. collecting staff pieces for the horadric staff.. utilizing the cube and looking at the arcane sanctuary view.. its really nice.. Act 2 may seem boring but the sanctuary makes up for it.

Act 3. running through the jungle collecting pieces.. overall not super fun but still ok. mephisto and the moat trick still make the boss entertaining.

Act 4 just race to diablo and kill him... but still you are fighting through hell itself to get there. its a lot easier to skip quests and stuff in diablo 2.. but that can be the fun part if u want to take it slow, or just zerg through. and act 5. not a huge fan of Harrogath but they added some neat things in the expansion.. like runes class specific items/ 2 new classes... runewords of course.. charms.. and the uber bosses just to keep things interesting.

plus there were a variety of builds u could use for d2. for barb theres WW or zerker.. even a warcry barb was attempted and did ok for lvling although not great for bossing... for the druid theres 2-3 builds you can choose.. sin 1-2.. sorc 3.. amazon 1 i think.. necro 2.. pally 2-3....

the real problem with d3 was the terrible storyline.. its fun but we have no desire to repeat it 3 times.. the cutscenes were very nice but.. they get old real fast.. and figuring how this game was being developed for 8-10 years or more.. i mean come on. the other issue was bad itemization. str on sorceress gear? random dex on my occulus ring? wat the fuck.... atleast d2 had the decency to not have retarded itemization on the best gear pieces.. first time u find a legendary should be like.. yay.. and not.. oh i hope its not a magical barb sword with 400 int on it.

The game has been out for about ten months and it still has one massive massive flaw:

Loot itemization.

This is the main component that has killed this game for so many people. It is the worst I have ever seen in a game designed around loot. This game was a financial success but it will be really interesting when the expansion comes out and those sales numbers are announced.

If loot itemization stays the same, I know I will not be buying it along with several other friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Amonthar View Post
    The game has been out for about ten months and it still has one massive massive flaw:

Loot itemization.

This is the main component that has killed this game for so many people. It is the worst I have ever seen in a game designed around loot. This game was a financial success but it will be really interesting when the expansion comes out and those sales numbers are announced.

If loot itemization stays the same, I know I will not be buying it along with several other friends.
    Curiously when you would have played the game in hardcore mode, you would see the game itself, the itemisation and in game AH is fabulous.

Why?

Because of the following:

1. Goals: you set out goals in Hardcore : class to 60, kill D3, try to reach upper paragon levels ... Always with ONE prime goal: do not die once.
    2. do it with several classes.

Now comes the part of D3 where it works: by building up your gear over all these classes in hardcore mode, ... Each death not only resets the overall gear offer, but it extends your gear over your avatars as well ...

Suddenly you realise that the AH in such a system makes sense: because of masses of gear resets due to deaths, BUT the overall economy pushes the players to compete for an ever thinning market. Now enter ... The crafting market. Crafting is awarded in hardcore mode, not only because of the constant need for (leveling) gear and goods, but also to feed your own needs for currency...

In hardcore this game does not even need a ladder system. It is a self regulating economy and grinding game ... Until death reaches out on your latest avatar.

So to those complaining' they really play a different game as long as you didn't try out HC modes.

It may seem ridiculous, but each death actually pushes you back to play even more. Because you can build up again from the earlier gathered resources faster and more rewarding than your last dead avatar.

Fabulous game as such.

Diablo 3' s hardcore mechanics are back to basics of why we play video games in the first place. Not for some stupid story you are fed up with once you see it played through: but video game play in its purest form: survival ... As long as possible and trying to better the avatars.

That's why we played Pac Man, Donkey Kong and Mario. Diablo 3 hardcore play is pure gold at the moment and the whining masses don't have a clue ... Yet.

Softcore is just a practising mode with an extreme good responsive engine, but hardcore is where this game really shines.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-04-14 at 09:00 AM.

The reason D3 failed for a lot of people is because they have bad memory. People seem to forget when D1 and D2 came out the times were different, the players were different. At that time D1 and then D2 pushed the boundaries of what a game could do and could become FOR THAT TIME. The times have changed. Compare D1 and D2 to today's standards and expectations and it's not all that great it's even boring for a lot of players in this generation. That's why blizzard decided against just doing a reskin and calling it D3.

It's the same reason why that game you used to love 10 years ago when you play it now it just feels "meh" it's good but it's not THAT great.

D3 is not perfect by any means and there are improvements that the devs need to make but it didn't fail in ways people would have you believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    But even with all that I won't go so far as to say it's a failure. Disappointment? Absolutely. Fixable? Maybe, we'll see. I don't see the game as a sequel to anything. It's a reboot/redesign altogether and given its development history it's not surprising that it ended up like it did. I'm also not even a little bit on the bandwagon that it should have been a prettier version of Diablo II. Charging $60 for what amounts to a reskin would be as bad as what they did to be honest.
    No one is really asking for it to be a prettier version of D2, they did however expect it to be an evolution of D2, improve on the classic game they loved for a decade. Blizzard decided to instead take it apart and remove most features and start to re-invent the wheel again, building a new ARPG from the ground up with heavy WoW design influences.

Now if they had instead stated that it's going to be a reboot and called it Diablo:Infernal or some other lame name it would have been different, people would then expect a ARPG set in the Diablo universe with Blizzard quality (which isn't all that these days since they sold out to the almighty dollar).
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

I think one word is enough: Grindfest.

Diablo 2 was the same, but it was fun to play and I wasn't aware that games like wow existed then and offered way better leveling experience than just killing stuff and doing a few quests repeatedly in different difficulty settings.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Stood in the Fire
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Softcore is just a practising mode with an extreme good responsive engine, but hardcore is where this game really shines.
    If that is the case the game is even more of a failure in my eyes, Hardcore is not reliable or playable long term because of regular rubber banding and server lag with my above average connection here in Sydney.
    I would play hardcore alot and love it even with the broken itemisation and ah, if I didn't have to cross my fingers and hope the server doesn't decide to fk me mid rare pack.
    Its not quite as bad with the new MP changes but now its mostly playing an invulnerable character just in case the connection spikes, not quite the HC experience I had in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishyface View Post
    So now that blizzard has openly admitted its lacking endgame ive got to ask the question. What are people expecting out of diablo 3? I just dont get what some people were expecting from this game. I honestly dont get what even blizzard was expecting at this point.

Were you expecting an mmo?

Were you expecting a game you could play for 12 hours a day for 6 years straight?

I expected D3 to be like any other game, you play it for a while and beat it, it isnt an mmo with eternal gameplay. Sure you can fire it up once in a while and go through a couple of the difficulties (which is its replay value to me), but in my mind D3 shouldnt sustain your gaming habits eternally.

I feel like the gear grind is like maxing out your chars in any final fantasy game. Its fun but its for people who just want something else to do to make their gameplay last a little longer, and it should have an ending point.

Im really sorry for all the poeple who expected that D3 would last longer than it did for them. But really i just dont get why people are so angry about what is essentially a single player game
    Diablo 1 and 2 were created at a time when repetitive game play was a very popular concept amongst gamers. The loot hunt was both challenging and rewarding, and the randomized dungeons with ramped up difficulty levels made it all the more worthwhile. Back then, internet connections were slow as shit, and the design of the game allowed for most of the important data to be stored PC side, which allowed for lan and offline play. Part of the hype behind such games was getting a group of your real life friends together on a Friday night, having them all bring their computers, ordering pizza, then spending hours just scraping dungeons for loot.

These days, the ARPG formula is a tired one. People are used to new games and content coming out rapidly, so their attention spans have diminished when it comes to gaming. Games that are repetitive get finished and set aside quickly, and Diablo 3 proved as much. While is has a pretty substantial player base (considering it's a PC title), a lot of those players have moved on to other games.

Blizzard bet the farm with the dungeon crawling ARPG style of the previous Diablo games, and while in theory, it was good to bank on the success of those games in their prime, the end product just wasn't what most gamers were expecting with a Diablo game. Even setting aside the numerous design mistakes and service bugs, it just doesn't present itself as a Diablo game in the right way. It's lost a lot of the gritty feel that the original Diablo games have, and the combination of short, repetitive story, along with the implementation of 'buy to win' RMAH and the 'always online' DRM, it was almost an instant turn off for most players.

In fact, I would say that those two features alone were some of the biggest mistakes that Blizzard made with Diablo. In general the art design and game concept were solid and very polished. On their own merits, they are very fresh and exciting interpretations of the Diablo universe. However, under the hood of the game, any player can begin to tell where Blizzard made mistakes less than 10 hours into the game.

1. Too much useless loot. This was due to the wild variance in the stat rolls. You can literally go through the entire game from 1-60, from normal to hell, and not see any really good drops for your class. Almost everything is mediocre, and it forces you to spend time on the AH to get quality gear.

2. Most affixes are largely ignored. Any player will tell you that even on MP10 Inferno, you're really only looking for 3 stats.

3. The game itself doesn't really change at all when you're playing through each difficulty. Bosses are all the same, they just hit harder. The only really noticeable difference are the number of affixes on rares increases, and the difficulty of the monsters increase. Technically speaking, a player can complete Normal in just about 10 hours (casually) and they have beaten the game. There's nothing new left to see, nothing important left to do. The only thing that keeps players playing the game is the addiction of attaining more power within the game so you can flex your epeen to other players who are also addicted to power.

4. The lack of pvp is embarrassing. Games are fun, but games where you only kill NPCs get boring a lot faster than games where you can kill other players.

5. The requirement for being always online is also embarrassing. Sure, companies have every right to cut down on piracy, but this isn't the sort of game where you want to be connected to the internet unless you are playing with friends. On top of that, they gave away over 1 million copies of this game for FREE, which is essentially the same thing as 1 million people pirating the game. Really not sure why DRM exists for this game when they had the potential to never actually sell a single copy of this game, and still get 10 million people to play it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin
    Why? Because fuck you, that's why.

Every time you have a question that begins with "Why?" that is about what other people prefer to do with their own goddamn time, come back here, and reread the first row of this post. That will ALWAYS be the answer to your question. Have a nice day.

The Lightbringer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    Diablo 2 was the same, but it was fun to play and I wasn't aware that games like wow existed then and offered way better leveling experience than just killing stuff and doing a few quests repeatedly in different difficulty settings.
    So, because there is WoW now, an unrelated franchise has to change? I'm not getting that logic.

---------- Post added 2013-04-14 at 02:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    1. Goals: you set out goals in Hardcore : class to 60, kill D3, try to reach upper paragon levels ... Always with ONE prime goal: do not die once.
    Yeah, I wish I had time to play D3 in hardcore

---------- Post added 2013-04-14 at 02:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jayeffkay View Post
    -Terrible Itemization
    Because D2 had good itemization? Right, I must have missed that memo

BC/LK raider ('07-'10)

I hated how they force you to play the lower difficulty and slowly work up to the harder stuff. I have put around 70 hours into my barb on d3 ive played Torchlight 2 about 35 hours so far and its 10 times more fun that d3 could ever hope to be.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

There was nothing to do when u had killed diablo on last difficulty. Felt so useless to just farm gear for nothing.

The Lightbringer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    You said ALL games have flaws at release, and I specifically said MMO's don't count. Name one game that had as many major gameplay flaws at launch as Diablo 3, and the devs had to admit the game crashed pretty hard (again, I bring it back: Legacy items).
    Most devs will rather eat a living frog than admit they screwed up.
    But if you want an example of a broken game at release: Master of Orion 3, Daggerfall, Civilization 5 are prime examples. All single-player nonetheless. Age of Conan would be a great example in MMO universe.

---------- Post added 2013-04-14 at 02:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Twickoo View Post
    There was nothing to do when u had killed diablo on last difficulty. Felt so useless to just farm gear for nothing.
    Control question in the head: what did you do in D2 when you killed Hell Baal?

BC/LK raider ('07-'10)

The Unstoppable Force I change my name a lot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Twickoo View Post
    Gear drops? Beats me I mean my max MF paragon 100 still not getting shit no matter how many hours I play. NP I got the AH to manipulate oh wait that's now what diablo was about.

IT WAS FINDING SHIT WHICH DOESN'T HAPPEN IN D3 HURRRRR

JAY WILSON'D

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    In other words, you didn't want Diablo 3, you wanted a shinier remake of Diablo 2.
    I believe that is called a sequel... you know... a follow up to the prequel. Same game, new stuff? D3 is a different game with new stuff. It shouldn't be called Diablo. No improvements, only the opposite. When you know what makes the prequel so great to play and leave that out it in the sequel, you're shit and just ask to have your game flamed into the ground.
    Last edited by Vayshan; 2013-04-14 at 03:27 PM.

Never really played D2 actively, so D3 was pretty much a new thing for me.

It just couldn't keep me interested. I barely got any loot drops of value, and simply running the same acts over and over again without any incentive to do so (except for GOLD) just doesn't cut it. The itemization also seem very similar to that of WoW's, so when you finally do get an item it's not really that exciting. I didn't have any expectations from the beginning however, so it's no big deal for me. I can understand why a lot of people were disappointed though.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    How does it selling alot qualify it as not a failure for anybody EXCEPT the developers?

Why are people arguing like their share holders in the company?
    How was it a failure?

People played it, enjoyed it and stopped playing. Who the fuck cares how many people are still playing it a year later?

Does that make COD: MW3 a failure because people have stopped playing it now?

Ofc fucking not.

Investors see it as a success so do the general public, just because some forum kids got mad because its not a diablo 2 clone doesn't make it a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post

Investors see it as a success so do the general public
    They do?

Sure the investors do but the general public? We are not talking about a few forum warriors here. 9 million people don't play anymore. I would say that was a pretty conclusive 'Fuck You' to Blizzard.
    I'm a Forsaken. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls, and from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on in your existence is never understanding why.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    They do?

Sure the investors do but the general public? We are not talking about a few forum warriors here. 9 million people don't play anymore. I would say that was a pretty conclusive 'Fuck You' to Blizzard.
    I don't see that many people playing Black ops 2 regularly even though it sold over 7.5 million copies in 24 hours..............

Does that mean people are saying a big fuck you to Activision? Ofc fucking not.

Your logic is fail. Sorry but your reasoning is completely stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    You might say that but name some non-MMO video games that still have 3,000,000 people a month playing them eight months after release. There are few if any that I'm aware of. So people not sticking around for eight months to play a video game probably has a lot more to do with the medium than any specific game.

Video games are disposable. You are meant to buy a game, play it a while and move on to buy the next game. That's how the industry works. Certainly the vast, vast majority of those who bought Diablo III fall more into that category than anything. Pretending that the measure of the success of a title is defined as "most everyone who bought the game should be playing it months later" and proclaiming the game is a failure because they aren't makes pretty much every video game a failure. So I don't know how much that really means.

Given any title by any game design house: if that many people are still interested enough to play it two-thirds of a year after it releases then it has my respect whether I like and play it or not.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!