Page 1 of 51
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM

So i dont get why Diablo 3 "failed"

So now that blizzard has openly admitted its lacking endgame ive got to ask the question. What are people expecting out of diablo 3? I just dont get what some people were expecting from this game. I honestly dont get what even blizzard was expecting at this point.

Were you expecting an mmo?

Were you expecting a game you could play for 12 hours a day for 6 years straight?

I expected D3 to be like any other game, you play it for a while and beat it, it isnt an mmo with eternal gameplay. Sure you can fire it up once in a while and go through a couple of the difficulties (which is its replay value to me), but in my mind D3 shouldnt sustain your gaming habits eternally.

I feel like the gear grind is like maxing out your chars in any final fantasy game. Its fun but its for people who just want something else to do to make their gameplay last a little longer, and it should have an ending point.

Im really sorry for all the poeple who expected that D3 would last longer than it did for them. But really i just dont get why people are so angry about what is essentially a single player game
    Torchlight II Vanilla Player
    Looking for a vanilla only group?

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40739

Diablo 3 had the pedigree of lasting a long time like D2 did.

For many, it did not.

The details vary depending on the person. I think it'd be hard to make the argument it failed in a broad sense though. It's been absurdly successful by most standards.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game didn't fail, and it wasn't meant to have an "end-game" of the same style as say, WoW. Too many people didn't take the time to research just what games like the Diablo series are.

Before I get a bunch of ridiculous posts on how D3 isn't perfectly the same as all other examples of the type, I say "Who cares?". Change is normal. I've played all those old games and I like the new D3. It comes down mainly to personal opinion, but the numbers don't lie: D3 didn't fail. Just those who are unhappy tend to be a lot more vocal than those that aren't.

Can you name the last time you posted a thread to say "God, I love this game!!"?

I have to say I'm really disappointed in Blizzard...

... that they would pretend like something is somehow amiss with Diablo 3's "endgame."

Endgame, the dumbest concept ever conceived by gamers. Play the game, have fun, that's what it's meant for.

"herderp i beat teh gamez wut i do nao?"
    Ahhh, the intelligence of the modern gamer.

Deleted
    It was a b2p game that sold a very large number of copies, it only failed in the long-term goal but they've already gained most of the profit they wanted.

If D3 was a failure, my company needs more failures like it.

For some it did due to: Unrealistic/unreasonable expectations.
    Last edited by gamingmuscle; 2012-07-05 at 05:10 PM. Reason: clarify
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

it didnt fail it just got hyped up way to much. i think this is the main reason alot of people didnt like cata the longer you wait for something the more you expect from it. after a year of icc people were expecting cata to be the most awesome coolest wow expac yet, it was a great expac but it wasnt "teh greatest thing evar" same with diablo 3 people have been waiting so long for it that because it doesnt live up to their expectations it isnt as good in their minds. also nostalgia
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    First my perspective before I answer: I'm a casual Diablo3 players, I played normal and Nightmare difficulty with Monk then I stopped, and I'm going to restart at normal with the other classes since I really don't wanna play Diablo 3 hardcore, so for me the game has been excellent and has given me great value. Problem with Diablo3 Is that it doesn't really give anything to people who wants to play it for the long term.

The first thing that struck me as really really strange is that Diablo3 doesn't have any form of ladder which Diablo2 had. Further they are going to implement PvP at somepoint, and until then the game is really empty. So I feel that those who wanted to play the game for the long term has every right to not feel good about the game, and yes, Blizzard did promise that Diablo3 would had a end game and be more fun for the end user compared to previous diablo games, which to be honest Isn't true.

People were talking like that it was going to be this amazing thing that you could play for months and months like Diablo 2, but it just didn't give me that satisfying feeling whenever I got a new piece of gear. I normally don't mind grinding, but it just couldn't keep me interested with this game for whatever reason. I got my money's worth but I would've rather spent it on something else.

Because hyperbole is the language of the internet.

It's always been this way, when people don't like something, some of them (usually a more vocal minority) make it out to be the worst thing ever, when if you look at it objectively, it really isn't. Yeah, there's flaws and yes there's things that aren't necessarily perfect, but there are many games like that nowadays, and considering that people still play, that so many bought the game, and that there is still discussion on forums that isn't about how the game is good or bad, I would say it's just fine.

D3 didn't fail in the slightest. The players overhyped it to oblivion and back, then blamed Blizzard when their absurdly high expectations weren't met. LOGIC.

It's all games really. People consume content more quickly. They play as soon as it's live and marathon for the next two weeks, hence why people take vacations, get upset when its finals week etc. All the gameplay is consumed in two weeks and the user is felt left with nothing to do.

Personally I regret rushing through. For GW2 and MoP I'm going to skip out on the "second the server goes live" action, keep my work schedule and not avoid friends. So I can casually consume the content and get a little bit more longevity.

Does what I said have anything to do why Diablo 3 is a "fail". Not really. But to keep up with avid gamers there needs to be months worth of content. The exploration part of games is gone, so the time taken to complete objectives has decreased.

Really in my opinion why Diablo 3 is a "fail" is because all of the game design is flawed. The point of Diablo is to grind for items. The whole new magic find system is flawed, nephalem valor, oh and the Auction House. Why should I spend hours grinding when I can spend 3 dollars and get the same item I would have got from from farming for 10 hours. I didn't get tired of farming the Butcher but I got tired of being forced to spend money on the AH, as the Blacksmith is just a waste, should have removed it instead of nerfing it. Increasing repairs cost was just a stupid idea. It's not the grind part, it's the reward from the grind, which is zero.

Edit: By the way I don't think Diablo 3 is a "fail" but I don't think it's perfect by any means. Some systems really need to be reworked in a major patch update.

Deleted
    how many units did it sell in comparison to say, skyrim ?

for $60 and a game in development and being developed by blizzard I was expecting, let`s see...

1) an actual GAME, worthy of an actual games length
    2) a much, much better story
    3) more than 4 acts
    4) more time spent on creating more content rather than spending all of the time adjusting the games difficulties.

there are plenty of single player games out there, and this genre of game shouldn`t be an excuse for the lack of...basically everything. the only reason this game sold the way it did is because of Diablo 2`s reputation.

I doubt it "failed". I sold 6 million copies
    it selling well doesn`t mean it didn`t fail in countless other ways.

I hate so much, so so much that blizzard ALWAYS tries to make everyone happy. yes, it`s a good thing... but they want to make the terrible players happy, the casual players happy, the hardcore players happy... what ever happened to creating one, pretty difficult game that was long, engaging and entertaining?

Quite simple actually :

Diablo 3 doesn't have, nor will ever have, the replay value of D2 which is still played to this day (12 years later).

Gameplay wise the game is good, but lacks many of the aspects that made Diablo 2 a phenomenal game.

Yes, Diablo 3 is worth 60$\€\£.
    No, it will not be as successful as Diablo 2 was\is.

That's what people don't realize. In diablo 2 you took months to get top gear, after trading, long long hours to reach 99, bla bla. Diablo 3 can be 'finished' in less then a week, and gear is easy to find with the AH. So, people are reaching 'game over' status real fast, with no real interest in replaying it, because well, it's just the same.

For me it has failed not because of lack of end game, but because of the way blizzard released the game without testing throughly enough it would seem. Since release there has been nothing but changes to the way people wanted to farm cash/items. It is even due to go one step further with the desire to change MF so you can't switch gear out and have your max mf for a kill.

Basically blizz have killed the many ways of play and pigeon holed players into a very specific way of playing the game/making cash. To the point where for me it is just no longer fun.

Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    for $60 and a game in development and being developed by blizzard I was expecting, let`s see...

1) an actual GAME, worthy of an actual games length
    2) a much, much better story
    3) more than 4 acts
    4) more time spent on creating more content rather than spending all of the time adjusting the games difficulties.

there are plenty of single player games out there, and this genre of game shouldn`t be an excuse for the lack of...basically everything. the only reason this game sold the way it did is because of Diablo 2`s reputation.

it selling well doesn`t mean it didn`t fail in countless other ways.

I hate so much, so so much that blizzard ALWAYS tries to make everyone happy. yes, it`s a good thing... but they want to make the terrible players happy, the casual players happy, the hardcore players happy... what ever happened to creating one, pretty difficult game that was long, engaging and entertaining?
    Why is length almost the sole determinant in your assessment of the game's quality?

Deleted
    I was expecting:
    -at least decent story
    -randomized maps
    -something more than replaying same lame story forever after reaching level cap
    -more interesting and complicated itemization
    -crafting being more than a gold sink
    -better voice acting, rpgs like Fallout:NV, The Witcher 2 and Bioware games spoiled me
    -gritty and dark atmosphere
    -keeping bots, exploiters and spammers in check like their always online DRM was supposed to
    That was just from top of my head.

I played through the game on normal, haven't started on the next difficulty yet, but....isn't that about what Diablo and Diablo 2 both were? Just replaying the same game on harder difficulties until people were just replaying the same difficulty over and over, then playing the expansion over and over?

It's not like you have true patches with new stories and new "final villains" right? I never actually played Diablo 2, but I did play the original and now 3 and...I just don't quite get what the huge difference is. Was Diablo 2 such a vastly different game?

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    The game didn't fail, and it wasn't meant to have an "end-game" of the same style as say, WoW. Too many people didn't take the time to research just what games like the Diablo series are.

Before I get a bunch of ridiculous posts on how D3 isn't perfectly the same as all other examples of the type, I say "Who cares?". Change is normal. I've played all those old games and I like the new D3. It comes down mainly to personal opinion, but the numbers don't lie: D3 didn't fail. Just those who are unhappy tend to be a lot more vocal than those that aren't.

Can you name the last time you posted a thread to say "God, I love this game!!"?
    I'd post a thread like that but I'd be infracted/banned because I'd end up swearing/cursing a lot, so that I don't have to kill the fucking moron that starts crying/saying a lot of crap about the game.

It's probably because of that thing they did, pay for 1 year of WoW get Diablo for free. The amount of idiots playing D3 is ridiculous.