Who said video games are bad?

Hi!

I just saw this video and I think it's a cool video. This is how a game can help someone from living hell to living well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWP4ftYZnpY

The video is in Macedonian but there are english subtitles.
    I know this guy and 2-3 other people iRL from this video but I didn't know they were in a documentary like this one!

Edit: Maybe the title should've been: "How a game can help someone".
    Last edited by Ruffles; 2012-07-07 at 06:07 AM.
    Rufflesaurus <Huhuholics> Tarren Mill EU

10+ Year Old Account
    It's blocked. D: (US).

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    A lot of people have said so. Just like people said that Elvis was the devil, black people were stupid and so forth.

People say shit.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Blocked in the US. On the note of who said video games are bad, that would be the media.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Couldn't see the video, so I'll just drop my 2 cents here. Video games aren't bad. TOO much video games to the point of you neglecting your responsibilities and well being is bad. Well, too much of anything is bad really...

It's about a dude who played a game called "Conquer" for 8-9 hours a day because his mom was scammed by some woman and with tens of thousands of euros in debt they had to go into hiding and he passed time by playing the game.

He eventually met a girl through his friend and they noticed people started selling "dragon balls" for RL money in the game so they did so too because they were best players and didn't need them anymore anyway. He got back on track and finally sold most of his char's gear for 1200 euro.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Man censorship is awesome.

Shouldn't need to bring out a proxy to watch youtube.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice video. happy for that guy. puts the whole gaming into a new perspective.

I don't think it is a very popular view any more. Considered violence has decreased over the past few decades when gaming has really peaked, there is no real study to support such a view that it has any negative connotations besides contributing to an unhealthy lifestyle similarly to television.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    A lot of people have said so. Just like people said that Elvis was the devil, black people were stupid and so forth.

People say shit.
    Yea.. People love speaking alot of non-sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    fox news obviously...

How did 1200 euro settle a ten thousand euro debt?
    and honestly, video games are just a form of entertainment. It's when people take it seriously and play it 8-9 hours a day like that guy, that things start going wrong. With all that time, he could have just found a job with minimum wage and probably earn more.

Deleted
    "Who said video games are bad?" - Those who know nothing about them used to say this. (or those who suck at video games)

is sucking at video games supposed to be a bad thing

Quote Originally Posted by Ishida52134 View Post
    He said that later he sold gold, items, dragon balls and stuff. He didn't tell the whole story but the main part of it. Some parts remain unknown.

Blocked in Canada, I'll make sure to proxy it tomorrow morning when I'm not half asleep though so thanks for steering me towards whatever this is (I think).

Deleted
    Exactly who said.. I love to play online video games

Quote Originally Posted by Ishida52134 View Post
    and honestly, video games are just a form of entertainment. It's when people take it seriously and play it 8-9 hours a day like that guy, that things start going wrong. With all that time, he could have just found a job with minimum wage and probably earn more.
    Yeah he could have just got a minimum wage job but considering the size of the debt his mother racked up he needed a quick fix to get rid of it which selling in game items in a F2P game was probably a lot quicker than going around town and putting in hundreds of applications, going through a handful of interviews, and maybe getting a payed position. Not to mention I don't think I've seen a minimum wage job that could bring in thousands of dollars a month(I think he mentioned some months brought in upwards 10k) at least not here in the states I haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    Yeah he could have just got a minimum wage job but considering the size of the debt his mother racked up he needed a quick fix to get rid of it which selling in game items in a F2P game was probably a lot quicker than going around town and putting in hundreds of applications, going through a handful of interviews, and maybe getting a payed position. Not to mention I don't think I've seen a minimum wage job that could bring in thousands of dollars a month(I think he mentioned some months brought in upwards 10k) at least not here in the states I haven't.
    That's mission impossible in my country. You can barely live with a minimum wage here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    well if playing video games generated that much of an income you would see everyone playing video games to pay for their college tuition. Obviously, the fact that most people get out of the house and find a job means that it's much more efficient than staying at home selling stuff in some video game.