Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I think it just boils down to people who haven't played it yet and are trying to find a reference with the hype. The game was building up hype by the community for quite some time, and then the BWEs happened and it didn't let down much at all. I remember being scared as hell the first BWE because I was worried that the game was going to suck and let me down. I've been so jaded by games and to have one like this completely blow me away and excite me like I'm a kid again speaks volumes for its quality. The game is good, no doubt about it. The only thing going against it I can foresee is that it doesn't have the obligatory gear treadmill grind, which IMO and many others, that's not a negative at all.

The game exudes quality and its going to be a critical success. People just can't be objective when it comes to things. Having someone else like a new thing more than your special something can get folks upset. Lots of SWTOR/WoW/Rift/Tera/TSW/etc fans will try to debase GW2 just out of spite usually. I've played MMOs for years and I've played WoW for 7. There is nothing remotely on the market or the horizon that will come close to this game. It is great.

Quote Originally Posted by dystin View Post
    I'm gonna put my final word in before I stop following this thread. The game has hype - and quite a lot - as evidenced http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/s...pe/sOrder/desc whether it's deserved or undeserved I'm currently unsure. The general consensus seems to be - from the people who played - is that it is deserved, but it's unknown whether all the expectations and promises will pan out post-release.
    Didnt know TSW was so popular

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryph View Post
    I think it just boils down to people who haven't played it yet and are trying to find a reference with the hype. The game was building up hype by the community for quite some time, and then the BWEs happened and it didn't let down much at all. I remember being scared as hell the first BWE because I was worried that the game was going to suck and let me down. I've been so jaded by games and to have one like this completely blow me away and excite me like I'm a kid again speaks volumes for its quality. The game is good, no doubt about it. The only thing going against it I can foresee is that it doesn't have the obligatory gear treadmill grind, which IMO and many others, that's not a negative at all.

The game exudes quality and its going to be a critical success. People just can't be objective when it comes to things. Having someone else like a new thing more than your special something can get folks upset. Lots of SWTOR/WoW/Rift/Tera/TSW/etc fans will try to debase GW2 just out of spite usually. I've played MMOs for years and I've played WoW for 7. There is nothing remotely on the market or the horizon that will come close to this game. It is great.
    Pretty much agree with your post. What it comes down to is caution, based on previous game releases. People are used to being let down, and so don't want to risk high excitement or anticipation.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I'm very excited for GW2 but there are also a lot of things that just don't seem right to me and are a source of concern.
    I suggest you get a beta key and try it out. If you like the game - play it! If you don't like the game - play something else!

It's super effective!
    Valar morghulis

On the contrary, it's not malicious like people are always assuming. There's just a lot about the game that sounds strange and alien to people and it's good to question things that you're not familiar with when you're buying a new product.

I'm very excited for GW2 but there are also a lot of things that just don't seem right to me and are a source of concern.
    I agree with the quote of your post. People come here (or even not just here) not because it sounds strange or anything (And I can agree it does sound), but because they just refuse to open their minds a little bit to understand the design choices of the game, cause they want what they have on their other game that they put up with. If someone comes up with doubts and examples how they think/feel, we generally have a pretty good answer that explain why and how this is going to work, but that persons next post is usually "But thats not what I meant, I want how it is on the other game", and thats where it all goes to badness.

I has one! Woot.

Then again, seeing as how my concerns mostly stem from the question, "Will the game keep my interest after X levels/hours/whatever." I dunno if the beta will help me with that question.

Beta is beta, so you should test the features presented and by testing them you should have a pretty good idea of how much of those features you can do. For me everything so far (and I played maybe 50 hours so far?) has been very good, because I saw as you progress the game gets more "tight and serious". And to be honest, I bought several games for that ammount of money (L.A Noire, Dues Ex, Batman, Skyrim) and they averagely kept my interest in about 60h. Now since gw2 does not have a sub fee and even more they seem (and promised) to be committed to keep the game fresh, its pretty good base already how how much it will keep me interest. Answer: Alot.
    Last edited by Zilong; 2012-07-13 at 10:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I has one! Woot.

Then again, seeing as how my concerns mostly stem from the question, "Will the game keep my interest after X levels/hours/whatever." I dunno if the beta will help me with that question.
    No one on this forum (or anywhere on the planet for that matter) has a crystal ball that can see into your head far in the future, lol.

But taking snippets of replies and spinning them into misinformation is less likely to garner you an answer to your "concerns" than going out and looking up the wealth of information and videos that are available
    Valar morghulis

I has one! Woot.

Dont think the Beta will be enough for that :/

If i may suggest that even if you get dissapointed from the start, at least try to stay until the end of the weekend. They have done some epic events at the end of the weekends and those type of events can be expected @ endgame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, what? Saying that I don't think people are being malicious is "spinnng misinformation"? I'm a little lost now.
    fun little zergfest
    Here's a flashlight.

It looks like you have had concerns for months on end now. Your posts are riddled with little backhanded compliments intermingled with your "spins" on what people are saying. I don't think I've ever seen anyone so torn about whether to try a game or not. However did you make those split-second decisions when you were raiding? ;-)

Peace
    Last edited by Karizee; 2012-07-13 at 11:21 PM.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Back to my original post then!

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I suggest you get a beta key and try it out. If you like the game - play it! If you don't like the game - play something else!

It's super effective!
    Valar morghulis