Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Yes, this is terrible. Yes, this was abuse of power.

Let's not use it to demonise every single police officer ever, yeah? The vast majority work hard and do a good job.
    This, please. I know and have met more good cops than bad cops and I've met my fair share, they are certainly not ALL bad. Yes though, some are of course crooks, you'll never have all good or bad people in any said profession.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    no shit? i wonder why.

while I agree media is a problem, a lot of cops are useless pricks (that's from personal experience). and I'm not talking about them traffic cops either.
    I used to think this way too then I grew up and realized it wasn't the cops that were the pricks.
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

Deleted
    I have always wondered how the Police in the US are above the law, they are always breaking the speed limit, the other day one overtook the car in front of me in an area you are not supposed to overtake in. I can understand them doing the above if they had their lights on and were obviously heading to the scene of a crime. but I always see them doing whatever they want on the roads. Breaking laws that are there for the safety of the rest of us.

In the UK they can be arrested by the same law the common folk have to hold to, if they don't have their lights on. Also in England the Police are trained to be relational first not confrontational. A friend of mine went to the UK to do some training and mentioned how nice the cops are there compared to them in the US, that here it seems they are trained to be confrontational instead of trying to calm down situations. Not that the UK Police are perfect but seems like the US could learn a little from them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Even criminals are afforded protection from excessive use of force. It's the hallmark of a first world country.
    I understand that. But if you don't break the law, such a situation wouldn't arise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IpswichBlues View Post
    I have always wondered how the Police in the US are above the law, they are always breaking the speed limit, the other day one overtook the car in front of me in an area you are not supposed to overtake in. I can understand them doing the above if they had their lights on and were obviously heading to the scene of a crime. but I always see them doing whatever they want on the roads. Breaking laws that are there for the safety of the rest of us.

Mwahahaha!

"you know what you are right now, to me? You are a criminal!"

Deleted
    Was anybody else expecting more? Im not defending the cop he should get fucked for that but all he did was stand on him for like half a second, I was just expecting it to be worse I guess.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    I understand that. But if you don't break the law, such a situation wouldn't arise.
    The situation wouldn't arise if you had disciplined cops also.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncanîdaho View Post
    Pretty much this. They had a right to be there and doing what they were doing. That's all good although they really did not have to step on the guys neck. But to break the camera purposely so there was no evidence is brutal. Especially when the police are always the first ones on the scene and are always in a position to corrupt or destroy evidence. Total and complete abuse of power.
    At first I thought maybe the undercover cop was doing it to protect his identity, it doesn't make sense to destroy the camera there and not destroy the one in the office also if they were trying to hide anything else.

Any of this is just random speculation though, the snippets of the video shown have no context. The only thing for certain is the lawyers statement that they knew they were operating without a license since the city made getting the license tough. So their lawyer just told the world on TV that they're guilty...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    You're running an illegal marijuana dispensary, the police are going to raid you and during that raid it's not too unbelievable to assume you are armed, or others are armed in the building, and they will treat you accordingly.

If they were being polite and just casually hand cuffed the guy who "surrendered peacefully," and then he suddenly turned violent and resisted arrest, grabbed a concealed weapon and killed someone, what then?

Having your neck stepped on while being arrested is pretty minor compared to the potential risk of someone being killed.
    Really? You can justify pretty much anything with your obvious flawed logic. It's far from needed here.

But, police men generally do a good job. And the people who say that the media is to blame for this, no they aren't. People like stuff like this, they do not like reports about a normal policeman (who does his job good).

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Which amendment disallows the war on drugs?
    The amendment needed to prohibit alcohol set a precedent. If you know anything of law, it's pretty clear that the current war on drugs is unlawful simply based on that.

Bet you also think the police should be able to search your home because you have nothing to hide

I think what people are missing is that the punishment for operating without a permit is a $100 fine, not being arrested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    The amendment needed to prohibit alcohol set a precedent. If you know anything of law, it's pretty clear that the current war on drugs is unlawful simply based on that.
    It set a precedent should they ever make an amendment to prohibit other drugs, but in theory not legality.... and precedents are not used in amendments, amendments are absolutes. Precedents are established by court rulings, where if the supreme court decides something all lower courts must follow it. You're confusing a number of legal terms.

Quote Originally Posted by bekilrwale View Post
    Federal law trumps states law, sorry. States rights, and the states themselves, is an outdated and inefficient system. One country under a single government, not 100 some odd governments is the way we should go.
    Good luck getting that to work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raintola View Post
    Good luck getting that to work.
    Reality shows that it does, on a massive variety of levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post

Bet you also think the police should be able to search your home because you have nothing to hide

I think what people are missing is that the punishment for operating without a permit is a $100 fine, not being arrested.
    I never said there was no police brutality, in fact I said there was. But just because the fine is $100, doesn't mean you aren't breaking the law requiring police involvement. Follow the law and a scenario where the police would bust down your door wouldn't even arise.
    Last edited by Reg; 2012-07-07 at 11:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    You're running an illegal marijuana dispensary, the police are going to raid you and during that raid it's not too unbelievable to assume you are armed, or others are armed in the building, and they will treat you accordingly.

If they were being polite and just casually hand cuffed the guy who "surrendered peacefully," and then he suddenly turned violent and resisted arrest, grabbed a concealed weapon and killed someone, what then?

Having your neck stepped on while being arrested is pretty minor compared to the potential risk of someone being killed.
    Having your neck stepped on runs the risk you YOU being killed. Your neck can be broken, your trachea can be crushed among other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    They do have a psychological test to be a cop.
    Yep because they want to find the best bullies around. Be sure to weed out anyone that was not your neighborhood bully as a skid.

---------- Post added 2012-07-08 at 01:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Morale of story is don't sell POT. How hard is to to make a living with a legal 8-5 job. Not hard, so if you get caught and get the shit kicked outta you by a cop then serves you right for breaking the law.
    Sorry check your facts, we voted Medical Pot legal here in California. That dispensary was operating legally except for the city business license. It was guilt of the same level of crime as jay walking.

Excessive force? Sure. Completely avoidable by... oh, I don't know ... NOT breaking the law? Yep.
    There's plenty incidents of innocent people being brutalized/killed by cops. On a personal basis it might be a rare thing. I don't think crooked cops have the most solid moral compass about who they hurt.

---------- Post added 2012-07-07 at 06:30 PM ----------

I never said there was no police brutality, in fact I said there was. But just because the fine is $100, doesn't mean you aren't breaking the law requiring police involvement. Follow the law and a scenario where the police would bust down your door wouldn't even arise.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Johnston_shooting

Probably shouldn't use absolutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLdowXQzoW4#!
    Also there is what, 3 states in the US its legal to sell medicinal marihuana, yet the ATF, and DEA or w/e drive around closing legal shops...
    Because its illegal in the country, but not the respective states...
    HOW DUMB IS THAT?...
    It even states in the video you linked they were running the shop without permits, that is why the local police came in and arrested them and busted it up. What they were doing is the same as some guy selling drugs out of his house or car.

For those of you that want a link to more of the video without some of the new stations editing here you go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG942y1Cq64

---------- Post added 2012-07-07 at 06:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by coldfiredragon View Post
    Sorry check your facts, we voted Medical Pot legal here in California. That dispensary was operating legally except for the city business license. It was guilt of the same level of crime as jay walking.
    Federal laws trump local laws so it doesn't really matter. This is why things like that are reversed so often. It doesn't matter since that isn't the issue here, this place was running without the permits needed to run which is why the city police were the ones that came in and arrested the ppl there. So they were breaking the law, as a result the shop was wrecked the ppl in it were tossed in jail.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    So I guess walking on a man and stepping on his neck after he had already surrendered quite peacefully in the video, is a'okay. Good to know.

This whole marijuana issue is just ridiculous.... just make it so it can be smoked in shops. Actually I'm against smoking since it's unhealthy. I forgot what the method is called but it doesn't burn it just heats it up to smoking point. Do that instead.
    A Vaporizer just makes it pure THC, gets rid of most of the carcinogenic effects of smoking that could be there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Have you ever heard of this thing called the American civil war?
    What does this have to do with anything?

Which amendment disallows the war on drugs?
    That's not how it works. The federal government only has power over what is specifically granted in the constitution. I'm not even American, but I've read your constitution and seem to know more about your laws than most Americans. I am asking you, what article allows the war on drugs?

I'm surprised you've not brought it up, likely because you haven't even heard of it, but the argument used to justify the war on drugs is based on the commerce clause. When the constitution was drafted however, the word "regulate" had a much different meaning, it meant to make regular. The purpose of the commerce clause was to make sure there exists free trade between the states. As it is defined today, the clause invalidates the entire US constitution. It becomes a worthless document, because everything can be said to effect interstate commerce. That one clause would make everything else in the constitution entirely meaningless. Why would the founders have drafted a constitution at all if they thought the federal government should be allowed to do anything it wanted anyway? They at least respected the constitution enough in the 20s to ammend it to make alcohol illegal. Nixon didn't even bother.
    Last edited by mmoc128328808c; 2012-07-08 at 09:38 AM.