Over the past couple of months, we've been seeing Blizzard's stance on world PvP continue to increase. While this has no bearing whatsoever on PvE realms, this has the potential to have major ramifications on PvP servers.
That being said, and simply put, not everyone wants to do world PvP. However, leaving one's friends and guild behind just for avoiding such an endeavor is NOT an option, no matter what others might tell you. Enjoying certain aspects of the game and disliking others, for whatever reasons one has, is fine and good.
As a person who has played on a PvP server now for six years (with only a minimal break on a PvE realm), and has spent the majority of that time playing a healer (which now have about as much offensive capability as a fly has against an Abrams tank), I am here to tell you this is NOT the end of your world. You don't have to transfer or quit. You don't have to leave your guild who you've grown very much attached to. Here are some very simple rules that I have developed over the years that will help drastically increase your survivability while on a PvP server.
1. NEVER DO DAILIES ON WEEKENDS : I cannot stress this enough. Don't go out into areas where there will be high traffic on weekends. Weekends are when the highest majority of players are out in the world. Especially those who are only out there to mess with individuals such as yourself. If you don't want to be a target to such people, then you will need to find something else to do with your playtime during weekend hours.
Note : For those wondering what time slot the weekend is, that is after 3 p.m. on Friday until 2 a.m. on Monday. Times may vary depending on region.
2. Find a time slot and stick to it : For me, I have found that the best time on weekdays to do dailies is between 2 a.m. and 10 a.m. (obviously excluding weekends, see rule 1). During this time is when there is the least overall amount of total world traffic. Furthermore, those that are out during certain portions of this time frame (usually between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m.) are those who are in the same boat you are in (people with jobs and lives and such). It is best to surround yourself with others who have the same time commitments that you do, as they will be most likely to share in your interest to simply get things done and get to work.
Find a time slot that your server fits under these guidelines during and stick to that.
3. Always have an escape plan : Know your surroundings well, and have contingencies set up in the event (which will be rare at this point if you follow rules 1 and 2) that you do find yourself caught up in world PvP. There is also a subset to this rule which will be below.
3b. Have constant access to a safe zone : Safe zones will not exist in MoP on the Pandaria continent. However, this does not mean that safe zones everywhere are removed. The best option for you is to do this.
- Set your hearthstone to a remote area that is less likely to have high traffic in Pandaria.
- Purchase the ring that allows you to teleport to Dalaran, thus giving you both access to Stormwind/Orgrimmar and access to a safe zone.
- If this ring is out of your budget, an alternative is to get the neck that teleports you to Black Temple. This will require some fly time to a safe zone, but the initial landing spot is a very remote region and will have no resistance whatsoever.
4. Learn to love game sound : Play with game sound on at all times. Many things that could prove dangerous to you are also noisy. Certain mounts make quite a fuss, like engineering mounts. Stealth noises activate when something stealthed gets near you. These can give you some added defense to avoid world PvP. There is a subset to this rule in the event you just absolutely cannot play with sound activated.
4b. If dead, play the waiting game : If you cannot predict your attacker coming and they do get you, wait them out. You aren't likely to be waiting long, as he's very impatient. DO NOT go AFK while doing this. That gives him the advantage. You need to watch what this person is doing. He may appear to be gone, but he's probably either a. mounted up incredibly high so you can't see him, b. found a good hiding spot, or c. stealthed nearby. You need to see what he's doing so you will know when things are likely clear.
Tip to 4b. : In case you did not know, while you are dead you can still see stealthed individuals when you get close enough to them. If your opposition is stealthed and you do not see them right away, move around and look. They are definitely close.
5. Don't fly in : Do not use flight paths. Ever. With guards being no more than a mild annoyance, this makes flight paths a prime camping spot. Simply get on your mount from your remote area that you can hearth to, go very high up, and turn on auto run.
With these five simple rules, you can nearly avoid world PvP and stay safe in the world of a PvP server. This concludes this guide.