Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Massive Malware may kill your PC July 9, 12

"The Federal Bureau of Investigation has posted a warning on its site about the risk of "DNSChanger" malware, which really will result in your computer getting disconnected from the Web on July 9 if you don't clean it up."

Here is an Article about it and some listed websites to see if your PC is clean.

http://news.discovery.com/tech/dns-c...ay-120426.html

*Direct link to see if your PC is clean: http://www.dns-ok.us/

*Using the word "kill" seems to have ruffled quite a few people's feathers on here. My title is just quoted from the articles on web pages (the one I posted to be included). It was not quoted by me. Please stop messaging me about it. Take it up with someone else. I am only trying to help some people who don't know about the issue and who want to make sure their computer is clean.
    Last edited by Winter Blossom; 2012-07-06 at 10:09 PM.

I already got checked, I'm clean.

Screwing up your ability to access the internet and "killing your PC" are not what I would deem remotely close.
    While I and others appreciate the warning, I feel the title is more than a bit misleading.

If people have this still on their computers they are morons!

I'm clear as well.

http://www.dns-ok.us/

Direct link for people too lazy to look through the article.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post

Looks like my work computer is also clean

I love the amount of misinformation being spread.

About two years ago, malware (not a virus) changed people's DNS on some computers, if they didn't run malware removal. It won't 'shut off your computer' or 'shut off your internet'.. Mostly just websites will have problems working.

The FBI is shutting down the servers that run the modified DNS, instead of setting up a correct DNS in it's place. They've already delayed doing so for some time, and now don't want to deal with fixing it anymore. That's all it is. Most people are safe. If they aren't, you just need to spend 45 seconds changing your DNS, which any tech person can help with. Or just use OpenDNS.'

Notably, the number of infected computers is pretty small. I doubt you'll find anyone who sees this post that will actually still have the modified settings. More fearmongering.
    Last edited by chazus; 2012-07-06 at 06:51 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    I'm clean. YAY

Clean. Feels like the world was taken off my shoulders. Or something less dramatic.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

"Massive Malware may kill your PC"

""DNSChanger" malware, which really will result in your computer getting disconnected from the Web"

/sigh

DNS changer? My mother called me some months ago when there was a warning by our NSA equivalent, to check her computer.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post

It's nice to know that I'm clean.

Thanks Celtic. Some people can't take a helping hand and would rather complain about a misleading title.

cool ty for warnin

Long time since I've seen a scare as overhyped as this.

Blademaster
    My Test came back clean!
    Anyone want to P2P
    Quote Originally Posted by Kripthmaul View Post
    Your just not ressourcefull....And your translator either suck or you cant english.

That's a bit intrusive, shutting off my internet if I have malware. If I want to have malware on my damn computer, I should be able to, especially since I'm shelling out cashmoney for my internet service.

But all the computers in my house are clean so whatever I guess.

change title please.
    I was expecting some infomation about an army of gnomes climbing through my letterbox in the early hours of the 9th and killing my PC with their tiny spear's!

OT - Clean. Nothing a halfway decent antivirus would pick up anyway I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Sigma : Super Intelligent Giant Moldy Anchovy

I have malware in my computer and its just going to sit there until I figure out how to get rid of it. Oh well I guess.