Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The FBI is not 'shutting off your internet'

They're shutting down the illegal server that your computer is connecting through.

Again, it's unlikely anyone even has the problem anymore. It's just fearmongering.

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    change title please.
    I made the title exactly like the website with the link has it titled as. I didn't know people were going to be so stuck on the title, rather than the valuable info the website offers to people. Goodness me...
    Last edited by Winter Blossom; 2012-07-06 at 08:12 PM.

I made the title exactly like the website with the link has it titled as.
    Yeah, and the article is misleading as well. Actually, its straight up incorrect and false information in some places.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Yeah, and the article is misleading as well. Actually, its straight up incorrect and false information in some places.
    How so? Discovery news is a very credible web page.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonsurge View Post
    That's a bit intrusive, shutting off my internet if I have malware. If I want to have malware on my damn computer, I should be able to, especially since I'm shelling out cashmoney for my internet service.

But all the computers in my house are clean so whatever I guess.
    From my reading while researching another piece of malware it's not so much the Malware that will cause you to lose internet access but the fact the FBI is trying to shutdown a hacker ring which this DNSChanger is suspected to be apart of. The thing that sucks though is it hasn't got much, if any, media attention that I'm aware of.

Also while on the topic of FBI/Malware even though this isn't completely related I figured I'd post this here even if some might consider it old news(most recent article I found on it was just under a month ago) and it "locks down" your computer if you are infected with it so it's worth watching for as well.

http://blogs.avg.com/news-threats/bl...ic-mimics-fbi/

MALWARE MAY KILL YOUR PC
    False, and unnecessarily sensational. It won't 'kill' or damage anything. Unless you throw your computer away the moment a webpage doesn't load.

You won't be able to go online
    False. You might not be able to view some webpages. My webserver would work fine. My xbox would work fine. A lot of things work fine. Just not webpages.

you'll need to contact your service service provider for help getting the malware deleted before you can reconnect to the Internet.
    False. Or at least misleading. That makes it sound like it's something your ISP needs to fix for you, like re-provisioning a router. It's just a simple change in your network settings.

But once an infected machine has been cuffed to DNSChanger's rogue servers, shutting it off would effectively unplug it from the Internet.
    False. Most computers have a 'backup' DNS, in case the main one doesnt work. One 'unplugged', it will get no response and simply use the other one, which is most likely a perfectly valid DNS.

False, and unnecessarily sensational. It won't 'kill' or damage anything. Unless you throw your computer away the moment a webpage doesn't load.

False. You might not be able to view some webpages. My webserver would work fine. My xbox would work fine. A lot of things work fine. Just not webpages.

False. Or at least misleading. That makes it sound like it's something your ISP needs to fix for you, like re-provisioning a router. It's just a simple change in your network settings.

False. Most computers have a 'backup' DNS, in case the main one doesnt work. One 'unplugged', it will get no response and simply use the other one, which is most likely a perfectly valid DNS.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/25427..._campaign.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1650700.html.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/04/...anger-malware/.

http://news.yahoo.com/nerds-call-jul...071458144.html

http://tablet.pcmag.com/

http://www.ehow.com/search2.html?s=d...FXPDtgod3QGDHg
    Last edited by Winter Blossom; 2012-07-06 at 08:43 PM.

hahahaha.....i LOVE that he links a Fox News article to debunk your accused fallacies. its like 'so to prove to you that your information is misleading, im going to link you to a website run by the most obvious form of misinformation, lies and deceit in media'

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    hahahaha.....i LOVE that he links a Fox News article to debunk your accused fallacies. its like 'so to prove to you that your information is misleading, im going to link you to a website run by the most obvious form of misinformation, lies and deceit in media'
    I listed quite a few. Fox News is well known, AND if you actually read the article, it is quite credible on the Malware issue
    Last edited by Winter Blossom; 2012-07-06 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    Thanks Celtic. Some people can't take a helping hand and would rather complain about a misleading title.
    The people who are saying the title has misinformation are correct as well as already know how to fix it without the assistance... They're just trying to say that it really isn't as bad as the news is making it sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    This is good, be a man about it.
    Have a cigar in your mouth and a shot of brandy in your hand and tell her to get out of the guild and get into a kitchen.
    Mists of Pandaria Beta Club ~World of Warcraft Annual Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    Link, Link, Link, Link
    I'm not sure why you posted those, exactly. They all say the same thing. I'm not saying it isn't true, it's just misleading, factually incorrect sometimes, and unnecessarily senational. The amount of people that will actually be affected is.... ridiculously small.

'Internet Doomsday'
    Seriously? A changed DNS so you can't see webpages is 'Doomsday'? Sensational BS.

If users don't rid themselves of DNSChanger before the July 9 server shutdown, they'll have to load anti-virus software on their computers by disc or USB drive.
    Or just change their DNS to their router, which it probably should be anyway if they don't know better addresses.

EDIT: I didn't even realize the Fox News was one of the links given. *facepalm* For future reference, never, ever, ever, ever, ever reference Fox News, even if they're right. You're credibility drops to negative one billion. Fox News is like the avatar of "I don't know what I'm talking about but we're posting it as news anyway"
    Last edited by chazus; 2012-07-06 at 08:47 PM.

EDIT: I didn't even realize the Fox News was one of the links given. *facepalm* For future reference, never, ever, ever, ever, ever reference Fox News, even if they're right. You're credibility drops to negative one billion. Fox News is like the avatar of "I don't know what I'm talking about but we're posting it as news anyway"
    The Fox News article was correct in its information on the Malware problem. That's all that matters to me.

For "Future Reference", as long as the information in an article is correct, it doesn't matter if it comes from Fox News...
    Last edited by Winter Blossom; 2012-07-06 at 08:56 PM.

I never said any of it was incorrect. Simply misleading, and misinforming, and sensational. I'm annoyed by the fearmongering tactics people are using in the news.

Will 100 people not be able to view webpages for a few days? Yeah.

Is it doomsday? Is it a massive outage? Is it the FBI killing your computer? No.

The Fox News article was correct in its information on the Malware problem. That's all that matters to me.

For "Future Reference", as long as the information in an article is correct, it doesn't matter if it comes from Fox News...
    So essentially what you're saying is that you don't care that more is being made out of it than what is actually going to occur, just so long as what you posted is "correct?"
    Have a cigar in your mouth and a shot of brandy in your hand and tell her to get out of the guild and get into a kitchen.

Checked, and I'm clean. Also change the title, it's sensationalizing the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I have malware in my computer and its just going to sit there until I figure out how to get rid of it. Oh well I guess.
    Nuke it from orbit.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

I never said any of it was incorrect. Simply misleading, and misinforming, and sensational. I'm annoyed by the fearmongering tactics people are using in the news.

Will 100 people not be able to view webpages for a few days? Yeah.

Is it doomsday? Is it a massive outage? Is it the FBI killing your computer? No.
    Then take it up with someone else. I'm merely trying to help/inform some people on an Mmo website. I wrote my title out exactly as the news articles are making it out to be. If you know/think differently, then consider yourself knowledgable about the problem and move on. My post was merely to help some people out and to direct them to a website that could help them fix the problem IF they had it. You came on here "nit picking" everything about my post.

---------- Post added 2012-07-06 at 01:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon4275 View Post
    So essentially what you're saying is that you don't care that more is being made out of it than what is actually going to occur, just so long as what you posted is "correct?"
    Yes. If its accurate, I don't care who it's by...

Then take it up with someone else. I'm merely trying to help/inform some people on an Mmo website. I wrote my title out exactly as the news articles are making it out to be. If you know/think differently, then consider yourself knowledgable about the problem and move on. My post was merely to help some people out and to direct them to a website that could help them fix the problem IF they had it. You came on here "nit picking" everything about my post.

---------- Post added 2012-07-06 at 01:03 PM ----------

Yes. If its accurate, I don't care who it's by...
    That's what he's trying to tell you though. The information isn't incorrect and it also isn't accurate.

Goddammit, Celticmoon you are NOT going to try to be helpful HERE, do you understand me??!
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Holy Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

I'm not nit-picking your post. This has nothing to do with you, really. The problem is that the media groups are using a pretty harmless thing as fearmongering. Yes, people should be more aware of viruses and malware, but they're going about it the wrong way. My concern is that things like this are being used and abused to make it LOOK like something horrible is happening (and also getting the FBI props for 'fixing it').

It also makes the FBI, on the flip side, look bad, because a lot of people will view it as "The FBI will kill your computer"

It's not the information that's the problem, its the way it's being presented. It goes right up with net neutrality. Groups are misusing information to steer the population in certain directions.

EDIT:
    I wrote my title out exactly as the news articles are making it out to be.
    So if you saw a news article that said "Eating Any Pie Will Kill Your Children" - and the article is about a kid who died from glucose poisoning after he ate 30 blueberry pies... Would you repost it with that title because thats how the article made it out to be?

This is EXACTLY the problem. Blind following of information regardless of validity.
    Last edited by chazus; 2012-07-06 at 09:11 PM.