Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How to: GW2 controller

So heres a quick video I made if anyone is interested in using a controller for playing GW2, I personally will because I have RSI and playing both wow and GW2 via a keyboard will send me over the edge :P
    Playing GW2 and mmo's as a whole whole with a controller will never be optimal, that isnt a debate we need, I have however played WoW and end game raided with a controller in the past, it is completely viable. So if your interested in controller and gw2 and not sure how maybe this video will help :P

www.xpadder.com
    GW2 profile

Edit

Changed my profile for some reason had WSQE instead of WASD

Reedit now i know why QE is default strafe :P

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...onse-included/

click the link to see about combat mode which turns the gave in to more of an action mmo than it already is. You just have to assign tab in your xpadder file I think I say it to left on directional pad but I haven't investigated a better place yet
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-07-21 at 05:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As for software, Xpadder was free up to version 5.3, after that it went commercial.
    Luckily you can still get the free version (that works fine) from file hosts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    As for software, Xpadder was free up to version 5.3, after that it went commercial.
    Luckily you can still get the free version (that works fine) from file hosts.
    I never knew that

https://www.joystixpro.com/get-joystix/ is another one

I imagine playing WoW or GW2 with a controller is akin to masturbating with sandpaper.

It's doable. It just requires that very special kind of masochism to enjoy .

If you can't use a proper mouse because of physical limitations caused by carpal tunnel or similar repetitive strain injury, have you considered getting an ergonomic mouse? These tend to help people who suffer from RSI.

10+ Year Old Account
    its more my let hand, the typing hand that suffers, I have thought about one of those weird gamepads but seeing as its so easy to use a controller Id rather not spend the £70 or whatever it costs And your imagination is wildy off the mark, its like masturbating with a numb hand, it doesnt quite feel right, but it gets the job done.

Deleted
    Actually, playing GW2 with a controller works very well.

I tried using a similar setup during the BwE, except I actually had "1" bound to right trigger. That way when I got in range, I would pull right trigger and start auto attacking.
    All the face buttons then corresponded to the 2-5 attacks, meaning I only had to hold left trigger to use my special skills.

Because the very close camera, and the fact that you never need to target anything in GW2, it plays just as an action game. There only time I felt that it wasn't optimal was when the right analog mucked up (the mouse moved instead of the camera) and in menus. ANet could easily add proper gamepad support if they wanted to, and make it feel like a proper way of playing the game. They won't, but they could.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't know Ricky Gervais planned on playing GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice video. It's doable, after all. We have a limted number of skills , playing, so when you set every skill, and weapon switch, youre 'done. I'm thinking about it with my ps3 controller.

Nice vid!

It's definitely a nice way to play lazy.

When D3 came out I used XPadder to make it playable w/ my 360 controller and it worked surprisingly well. Figure a couple button swaps and GW2 will be ready to be played on the ol' laptop while I lounge in bed!
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grraarrgghh View Post
    Nice vid!

It's definitely a nice way to play lazy.

When D3 came out I used XPadder to make it playable w/ my 360 controller and it worked surprisingly well. Figure a couple button swaps and GW2 will be ready to be played on the ol' laptop while I lounge in bed!
    That's exactly how i will play, on my bed on tv, to the hell a table, a keyboard a mouse and blah blah I'll think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ashrock View Post
    That's exactly how i will play, on my bed on tv, to the hell a table, a keyboard a mouse and blah blah I'll think about it.
    Hah!

It likely won't be my all the time play place, but when its a day for farming or whatnot, I could see myself chillin in bed in front of the TV playing with a controller.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didnt ArenaNET say they were planning to support GW2 with a controller option such as this ingame?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grraarrgghh View Post
    Hah!

It likely won't be my all the time play place, but when its a day for farming or whatnot, I could see myself chillin in bed in front of the TV playing with a controller.
    Hehe Try, you will not come back A tiny wireless joystick (or a cable like me, who cannot find a damned bluetooth 2.1 HDR usb key compatible for emulation as explained on that video) a beer next to you and you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ashrock View Post
    Hehe Try, you will not come back A tiny wireless joystick (or a cable like me, who cannot find a damned bluetooth 2.1 HDR usb key compatible for emulation as explained on that video) a beer next to you and you're done.
    Damn...now you've got me really interested to see how well my laptop will run GW2 in the next BWE...the VC is pretty meh (4670 mobile) but it is an i7-920 and MMOs are more CPU based...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mpaskin1 View Post
    Didnt ArenaNET say they were planning to support GW2 with a controller option such as this ingame?
    They have not said anything yet about support for controllers, I do however think its an option due to how GW2 plays, its like D3 its more than viable and would benefit from proper anet support but for now we just have to carry on using 3rd party programmes.

I'm so sad those programs are not free to download lol. You got me super excited about trying out GW2 with a controller

10+ Year Old Account
    well if you follow the link from mif there is a free version of xpadder i haven't downloaded it myself so i don't know if it has full functionality. glad to see another covert, it really is a fun and comfortable alternative to being hunched over your desk for hours

Deleted
    So - I bought xpadder earlier and have set my controller up. The free version of the software didn't work on Windows7...but it was only 6 quid, so.

I've just spent a while playing TSW with the controller and wow - I really enjoy it!

Pondering at the exact layout I'll use for GW2...but, I think this could really, really work out!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    So - I bought xpadder earlier and have set my controller up. The free version of the software didn't work on Windows7...but it was only 6 quid, so.

I've just spent a while playing TSW with the controller and wow - I really enjoy it!

Pondering at the exact layout I'll use for GW2...but, I think this could really, really work out!
    TSW does look pretty good for a controller, as to GW2 my profile is obviously what suits me, I really think it works, I wanted to get some in game footage but I failed the last BWE due to my birthday :P I hve found a use for one of my spare keys in right trigger and Y I have bound it to my PTT button on teamspeak, seeing as I plan to communicate via that in GW2 will be nice to have easy access to it.

Seems against the design of the game to do this. Not sure why one would want to either. Interface is part of game design. Hmm. Kinda interesting though. I heard of people doing this for D3 as well.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-07-31 at 10:09 PM.