Thread: NA ping as EU?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

NA ping as EU?

a couple of friends are planning to play NA (they live in the UK) and think they'll get amazing pings because of their beta experience.

how good are the pings for EU players on NA servers because i've always experienced 250-300+ which is, imo, terrible and unplayable if you're going to take pvp seriously.

thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad I'm not the only one who is anal about latency. If my latency is above 100ms I throw my computer out the window and attempt to sue my ISP.

But anyway, it's really impossible to tell what the latency will be like on release. They're still screwing around with servers and what not.

Can't you just change the target to -diag and get the datacenter latency?

NA servers are located in Texas. They can just go to http://speedtest.net/ and select a server in Texas (Austin I believe?) and it will tell them their ping. I have no idea how reliable this is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you know where in texas? Dallas? Sallad? Houston?

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Do you know where in texas? Dallas? Sallad? Houston?
    Like I said, I believe it's Austin, Texas. Someone should double check though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, didn't see you say austin.

Where in the country do you live, Roggles?

I'm not 100% sure how latency works, but I'm about ~2300 km from the datacenter and my latency is only at 50ms. So I assume you'll get under 100 as long as you're in North America.

10+ Year Old Account
    I r in brohio. I don't have the tcpackfrequency fix activated at the momento either. I still haven't gotten any direct confirmation from someone that the servers will be in one spot. Everyone I ask just says "yes". I need a post from brorenanet.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2012-07-07 at 01:43 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Where in the country do you live, Roggles?

I'm not 100% sure how latency works, but I'm about ~2300 km from the datacenter and my latency is only at 50ms. So I assume you'll get under 100 as long as you're in North America.
    Hi.

The title of this thread specifically asks about the pings EU (EU = European, for those of you who are confused or have never heard of this bankrupt continent) people can expect to find on NA servers. Now I know very little about Geography, but I'm willing to bet that the pings NA players experience in NA have very little relation with the pings EU players can expect to experience.

I mean, seriously? >_>

What is tcpackfrequency?

---------- Post added 2012-07-06 at 09:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cranberries View Post
    Hi.

The title of this thread specifically asks about the pings EU (EU = European, for those of you who are confused or have never heard of this bankrupt continent) people can expect to find on NA servers. Now I know very little about Geography, but I'm willing to bet that the pings NA players experience in NA have very little relation with the pings EU players can expect to experience.

I mean, seriously? >_>
    Did you intentionally completely ignore the context of that post?

10+ Year Old Account
    tcpackfrequency is a thing you do to your IP registry in order to make packets send faster, increasing latency immensely. Works incredibly well.

tcpackfrequency is a thing you do to your IP registry in order to make packets send faster, increasing latency immensely.
    I tried that with WoW, something called LeatrixLatencyFix or something. It didn't do anything. >_<

I was cursed with latency in WoW. I always got 150+, regardless of the server.

Deleted
    The distance between England and Texas is about 7500 km, so by your "context" I can expect a ping of 300+?

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried that with WoW, something called LeatrixLatencyFix or something. It didn't do anything. >_<

yeah that's the addon version of it, but tcpackfrequency is the manual way to do it.

---------- Post added 2012-07-07 at 01:48 AM ----------

What's your ISP? Sometimes it doesn't work depending on the ISP.

---------- Post added 2012-07-07 at 01:50 AM ----------

The distance between England and Texas is about 7500 km, so by your "context" I can expect a ping of 300+?
    That seems about right. Don't expect great latency from servers in a different country. But honestly I'd wait for the release before worrying about ping. As I said before servers are still being tweaked and there's always some lag in beta.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2012-07-07 at 01:50 AM.

That word does not mean what you think it means.

And I can't answer that, as I have no idea how latency actually works. If it scales linearly with distance, then yes. I doubt that is the case though.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are so many other factors that involve ping cranberries it's impossible to give you a straight answer. There's the ISP type itself, the quality of your ISP, the quality of the cables that are being used, how many people around you are accessing the internet, etc.

What's your ISP? Sometimes it doesn't work depending on the ISP.
    Brighthouse/Roadrunner? I'm not sure which is considered the ISP. I'm ignorant on this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marooned View Post
    no no, they are not located in same place, check server time, I live in East, I got ~40ms on servers within my timezone, but +100 ms on servers having california time.
    It is confirmed that all the servers are located in the same place, and that place is a city in Texas. EU is somewhere in Germany.

10+ Year Old Account
    Brighthouse/Roadrunner? I'm not sure which is considered the ISP. I'm ignorant on this stuff.
    It's probably roadrunner then. That's what I use... hmm

It's probably roadrunner then. That's what I use... hmm
    The plot thickens.