Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Question about servers

Hello, I have a question about the Guild Wars 2 servers:

If I live in Europe or Asia or Latin America or w/e, will I be able to play on US servers? I had read something about it a few months ago but I can't find it.

Yes you can. There are 2 physical locations for the servers. I think its Texas for US and Germany for EU.

But I have friends in Brazil (Im currently in Canada) that played with me on the US realms .

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    Yes you can. There are 2 physical locations for the servers. I think its Texas for US and Germany for EU.

But I have friends in Brazil (Im currently in Canada) that played with me on the US realms .
    Hmmm ok. Time to purchase it haha. Thank you very much

Should be carefull and look into it. IIRC everywhere outside of Europe defaulted to US servers, but EU gets their own servers. And it is region restricted. So if you buy a copy in the EU you cant just play on the US, because you are refered to the EU datacentre.

Im not sure if they made any progress on this yet. But dont go on buying a EU copy just yet when you dont know if, and how, you can play on the US servers.

Deleted
    The LOGIN SERVERS are region restricted. Meaning if your account is flagged as american, you can't use it while in europe and vice verse.

You can however play on any game server you want, american or european.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    The LOGIN SERVERS are region restricted. Meaning if your account is flagged as american, you can't use it while in europe and vice verse.

Where exactly you read about it? Because i bough my deluxe copy with euros in europe, and i will play from asia on american servers. Same it was about GW1. YE i was defaulted to european server. I trasnferred after 3 months to american servers ' cause EU players was just hopeless. So i don't see where is hte problem to buy an account with a currency displayed (US dollars?) , and use it in europe with european peeps.
    Last edited by Lucas Ashrock; 2012-07-07 at 12:23 PM.

On top of it, the guesting feature is to be introduced, letting you play with your friends in their own homeworld, just not participate in WvWvW from there. So even if you choose an european server if your realm, you still can travel between servers for free.

Also, azthal is right on the eu/na versions - a copy bought in eu probably won't be playable outside the eu.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drkn View Post
    On top of it, the guesting feature is to be introduced, letting you play with your friends in their own homeworld, just not participate in WvWvW from there. So even if you choose an european server if your realm, you still can travel between servers for free.

Also, azthal is right on the eu/na versions - a copy bought in eu probably won't be playable outside the eu.
    So how do i play GW1 from asia, tell me.

Asian versions = NA versions. Using NA login servers, with NA game servers as default (though that can be changed).
    You can't travel to EU and play your asia-bought copy on your laptop; but ANet is 'investigating the issue' and possibly a compromise will be achieved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drkn View Post
    Asian versions = NA versions. Using NA login servers, with NA game servers as default (though that can be changed).
    You can't travel to EU and play your asia-bought copy on your laptop; but ANet is 'investigating the issue' and possibly a compromise will be achieved.
    The same was with GW1. Multiple reasons: for example, some stuff on Gw1 exists just on asia servers. Ever heard of it?
    My best suggestion, except if you're asian and interested to play on asian servers , is buy a copy in europe/america and you're done. Ye, you cannot play maybe on asian server with GW2 for the same reason i wrote before. Don't be surprised to see a gold pig on a screenshot , something will never drop on your american server.. I hope i made it clear.
    And ye, if you have an asian account flagged for asian servers, you can play GW as usual either from NY, maybe a bit laggy at worst. And ye, you cannot trasnfer your gw1 european account to asian servers. Same will happen for gw2 surely. You have no idea how many times i ask to Anet to transfer my european account to asian servers, hoping to get some unique drops available just on asian servers.
    Last edited by Lucas Ashrock; 2012-07-07 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post

But if I buy the EU version would I be able to play on NA servers?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ashrock View Post
    Where exactly you read about it? Because i bough my deluxe copy with euros in europe, and i will play from asia on american servers. Same it was about GW1. YE i was defaulted to european server. I trasnferred after 3 months to american servers ' cause EU players was just hopeless. So i don't see where is hte problem to buy an account with a currency displayed (US dollars?) , and use it in europe with european peeps.
    http://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/p..._fb_noscript=1

There's some info on it.

Deleted
    It's not hard to work it out.

Your PHYSICAL location is a factor as to if you can login or not. The server browser has tabs like the WoW ones with 'languages' but in this case both the NA and EU servers show up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    I cannot access to facebook, on this country. Do you mind to quote me the main part, about it
    , so i can read it? Many thanks

Deleted
    I cannot access to facebook, on this country. Do you mind to quote me the main part, about it
    , so i can read it? Many thanks
    No worries.

Here are some answers and clarifications for you! First, if you purchase the game from https://buy.guildwars2.com/ you'll automatically be sorted into the right region.

And don't worry -- we want you to play with your friends wherever you are. This policy only affects where you can login from -- not which worlds you can access. People from NA will be able to play with people from EU at launch. We've got two datacenters -- one in NA and one in EU. Those who do not fall into either of those two regions will default to the NA datacenter.

Finally, we are aware that a lot of our players travel, and we are looking into a solution for you.

Hope that helps some! ~RB2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    No worries.
    Thanks a lot. I think it's a misunderstanding, or just they didn't explain it properly.
    I know it because i was having this issue: living in asia i used that link for buy the deluxe copy. The page was with US dollars. And my country (where i'm living now) preselected. But i was able to choose from a long menu, USA included. My Credit Card was with euros, so i wasn't able to choose any european country from that list. Support told me it's localized, so i need a local bank account with US dollars (ye sure, roflmao, here they have their currency, forget it ) so what to do? I made my family buy for me a copy using my Credit card, from europe. Game bough, account created.

Shortly: as they wrote, they have 2 datacenters, where every account is stored and allowed to log on the final version (and betas). Database doesn't mean log in with a restriction of IPs. It's just a way to manage payment and accounts.
    So, if you completed your prepurchase payment legally, there is no reason in the world to restrict a login if you play your copy of GW2 outside of europe. Reason because i can play with my EU GW1 account from asia on american servers perfectly.

About the question : can i play on NA servers? Yes, just choose american servers when you log, they obiouvsly automatically suggest (you bough your account in europe after all) an european list of servers. Asian servers are a completely different world, i suppose most forgot the hassle with GW1 and asian servers and how different was GW1 EU/US and asian version, expecially during asian festivities. So ye, probably an european/american account will never be able to use asian servers, but a guy playing from asia who pretend to play with americans/europeans, should be allowed to choose. They applyied this rule during GW1, i truly hope they will not do something idiot like restrict your main server to europe, and be just a guest of american servers. I PRETEND to play with real pros from prelaunch till forever. (americans obiouvsly, european players are hopeless on gw1, dunnno what about gw2, but i honestly don't expect anything different).
    Last edited by Lucas Ashrock; 2012-07-07 at 04:57 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks a lot. I think it's a misunderstanding, or just they didn't explain it properly.
    I know it because i was having this issue: living in asia i used that link for buy the deluxe copy. The page was with US dollars. And my country (where i'm living now) preselected. But i was able to choose from a long menu, USA included. My Credit Card was with euros, so i wasn't able to choose any european country from that list. Support told me it's localized, so i need a local bank account with US dollars (ye sure, roflmao, here they have their currency, forget it ) so what to do? I made my family buy for me a copy using my Credit card, from europe. Game bough, account created.

Shortly: as they wrote, they have 2 datacenters, where every account is stored and allowed to log on the final version (and betas). Database doesn't mean log in with a restriction of IPs. It's just a way to manage payment and accounts.
    So, if you completed your prepurchase payment legally, there is no reason in the world to restrict a login if you play your copy of GW2 outside of europe. Reason because i can play with my EU GW1 account from asia on american servers perfectly.

About the question : can i play on NA servers? Yes, just choose american servers when you log, they obiouvsly automatically suggest (you bough your account in europe after all) an european list of servers. Asian servers are a completely different world, i suppose most forgot the hassle with GW1 and asian servers and how different was GW1 EU/US and asian version, expecially during asian festivities. So ye, probably an european/american account will never be able to use asian servers, but a guy playing from asia who pretend to play with americans/europeans, should be allowed to choose. They applyied this rule during GW1, i truly hope they will not do something idiot like restrict your main server to europe, and be just a guest of american servers. I PRETEND to play with real pros from prelaunch till forever. (americans obiouvsly, european players are hopeless on gw1, dunnno what about gw2, but i honestly don't expect anything different).
    Right, I'll try to give an answer, assuming I've understood you correctly.

The region lock is only applied to datacenters - specific servers that contain account and character data. If you play from Europe, you can't log in if your account is locked to the North American datacenter, and likewise if you're locked to Europe you can't log in from North America. Anyone who's playing from anywhere other than Europe and North America (like Asia, Australia, Africa) will have to log in via the North American datacenter.

Once logged in, however, there is no restriction to which server you can play on. You can play on a European server or a North American server. You can have your home server set to a European one and just log out and pick a North American server to guest on. Picking which server to play is as easy as picking the character to play. It wouldn't surprise me if they added severs in Australia, Asia, or both either at launch or shortly after - but I can't see them as being restricted to only the population of their respective inhabitants, considering they go out of their way to let people play together on any server with as little fuss as possible.

Arenanet is working on enabling a better process for changing which datacenter you log in through, but until that's done, you can contact support to change which datacenter you are locked to.

Anyone got info regarding Oceanic / Asian servers?

Considering to move country just not put up with fucking 200+ MS on every game I want to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for your reply, Jigain. I'm investigating this issue with support, i'll update soon this thread.
    Probably if an account is bough in europe, cannot be transferred during the prepurchase period on other datacenters.
    Beta could not be affected (beta servers after all) but final could give issues during the login process if an account is bough in europe and first log (and any other log in future) is american/asian (and viceversa). This means it's ip locked, this login. So everyone planning to buy this game, could be truly ready to throw his game into trash, expecially if resident/moving outside europe/ the region you bough the account.

Quite idiot. If i live for example in japan, i pay with dollars from japan, my datacenter is american, and my ip restricted to japan only? If i want to go in europe, my account is gone? Pfff.

Maybe it's like GW1 long time ago. If some of you remember, when you was asking to move to american servers, it was possible asking to support. Your account was locked till transferred, then when ready, you was able to log from europe/everywhere outside europe on american servers.

I'll update this thread soon, guys. For now, who is planning to travel , it's better to wait my update.
    Last edited by Lucas Ashrock; 2012-07-07 at 08:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    Anyone got info regarding Oceanic / Asian servers?
    Still no Oceanic datacenter.

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    Considering to move country just not put up with fucking 200+ MS on every game I want to play.
    You could move to NZ to get 180ms, and live like a king thanks to the exchange rate