Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawnxxx View Post
    Ok For one I didnt say hundreds of thousands thats obsurd I said tens of thousands. which is a realistic price tag on that sort of feature worth of development.

Lastly I dont like it when people feel entitled and that ANET should consider this feature just cause another game has done it. By that mantality I guess I should ask that ANET put in Mounts like in WoW so it helps with my immersion.

heres a constructive Idea OP instead of aksing for stuff from ANET how about you play the game they designed and see if you like it. if going through the game was a huge disssapointment because you could see the minimap then write a 10 page diatrab about the issue. Man the games not even out yet and people are all give me give me give me....
    Alright I have read a few of your posts and it seems to me that you aren't quite grasping what i had in mind. A checkbox in the game menu would take zero art assets, very little coding and probably 3-4 hours work tops. Don't think this is a big deal because it is not.
    And I have played the game on the beta weekends which you should be aware of as i believe i have mentioned it before. I love the game. I am probably going to make this the only game i play in the next year. What I am talking about in this thread is not a throwaway idea or a demand, it is a suggestion that I feel the game would benefit from by letting those who want to explore blindly do so.
    Let's say you love games like skyrim and you want an MMO like it... GW2 has the perfect setting and the potential to be infinitely better than skyrim at open world roaming and exploring. However I find that the minimap and the objectives at the top right make this impossible as you can't encounter things by seeing them with your eyes. What you really do right now is notice a new event on the event objectives tracker then look on your minimap to see where it is. That does not feel immersive to someone like me who wants to miss events because I didn't SEE them.

On top of this... you can play GW2 as a completely different game if you have this option. It gives you two gamemodes without having to put in months or even years of work that it would otherwise take! Imagine having your guild do a race from 1-80 / zone completion / etc etc with map markings disabled! It offers the opportunity to make this game last much longer for people who like to vary things up and play from a different perspective.

If you don't understand my idea now I'll kill a puppy.

---------- Post added 2012-07-08 at 01:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, you could actually play in the way the OP wants, albeit you'd be a bit limited. You can hide all your UI with a hotkey and still run around and use abilities as you see fit. I think this hides "A dynamic event is nearby!" as well.
    This is what i have done for one of the beta events. The problem therein is that you can't see your ability cooldowns or health which makes fighting anything tough almost impossible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by incarcerated View Post
    This is what i have done for one of the beta events. The problem therein is that you can't see your ability cooldowns or health which makes fighting anything tough almost impossible.
    Don't be silly, it's just realistic!

But yeah, wouldn't be too hard to do. Might even make a little selection section in the options that lets you choose what you want hidden when the "hide UI" hotkey is pressed; that way it would help others as well. For WoW, for example, I used to have an addon that let me keep the chat box but hide the rest of the UI - certainly wouldn't mind seeing that functionality in GW2.

Deleted
    @ Kelesti Is it possible for you to change the topic title? It has been causing way too much trouble as you can probably see ;P
    I guess a more suitable title would be: 'Explorable mode for the entire game' or something like that. Didn't put much thought into the title at first because I made the thread 10 mins after waking up

---------- Post added 2012-07-08 at 01:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Don't be silly, it's just realistic!

But yeah, wouldn't be too hard to do. Might even make a little selection section in the options that lets you choose what you want hidden when the "hide UI" hotkey is pressed; that way it would help others as well. For WoW, for example, I used to have an addon that let me keep the chat box but hide the rest of the UI - certainly wouldn't mind seeing that functionality in GW2.
    They have said that they don't want the UI to be customizable so I doubt that they'll have that kind of feature :< but to be honest, I like that they don't want addons... More time spent looking at the world and not at the UI

---------- Post added 2012-07-08 at 01:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jacko999 View Post
    Great idea but waypoints would have to be disabled if you don't want to see the map or how else would they possibly be used. or would you want the map for areas you have already discovered?
    I know that some people don't like the waypoint system that is in the game so I left it in there as an option. You can also find a waypoint ingame and travel from it by interacting with it if i remember correctly. If not, traveling would consist of going to a city and finding the portal to Lion's Arch.
    Personally, I'd like to keep the waypoints but having the option to do away with all the map markings is always nice.

---------- Post added 2012-07-08 at 01:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Well it's not like he can change it. He tried (if you look at the OP edits) and realizes that exaggerating wasn't the best way to get his point across, but a mod has to do it. Having 80% of the posts doing nothing but commenting on the title isn't productive. This may sound ironic coming from me due to the infiniteretro thing, but this guy unlike him quite obviously is not trolling and did not intend for it to be an issue. He's not insulting the game, he's not bashing anything or anyone.. it's just a suggestion that would take away nothing from the game that he would like added to immerse him further in the game world. It's just retarded that people are coming in here guns blazing just to bash him for the title.
    Thank you Delias.
    I'd like to remind everyone, the title is not the discussion here and if I could change it, I would.
    Last edited by mmocc12e1a6c25; 2012-07-08 at 12:55 PM.

@ Kelesti Is it possible for you to change the topic title? It has been causing way too much trouble as you can probably see ;P
    I guess a more suitable title would be: 'Explorable mode for the entire game' or something like that. Didn't put much thought into the title at first because I made the thread 10 mins after waking up
    Unfortunately I can't, my jurisdiction's limited to the WoW Priest boards. Report this post here, grab a mod's attention (GW2 or super) and it'll get done. I can't ping them on IRC when I'm trying not to be late for work Sorry

---------- Post added 2012-07-08 at 08:56 AM ----------

Webchat. On cellphone. While crossing the freeway on foot. You're welcome.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Unfortunately I can't, my jurisdiction's limited to the WoW Priest boards. Report this post here, grab a mod's attention (GW2 or super) and it'll get done. I can't ping them on IRC when I'm trying not to be late for work Sorry

---------- Post added 2012-07-08 at 08:56 AM ----------

Webchat. On cellphone. While crossing the freeway on foot. You're welcome.
    Love ya

Exactly. No auto-posting, but yes an ingame client would be awesome.

Doesn't Rift already run an in-game client?
    Kinda, you can use slash commands to send tweets, and take screenshots & tweet those too (pretty cool). But, you can't view your twitter timeline.

I am almost positive that just like in the first game, they will have a "Hard Mode" for all content. Granted it may not be right away but it will be there soon enough after people hit 80 and start talkin more and more about end game.

As for your idea of Explorable mode, sounds solid. And if not close to the Hard Mode of GW1. I'd really like to see something like this implemented into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by GeeViouS View Post
    I am almost positive that just like in the first game, they will have a "Hard Mode" for all content. Granted it may not be right away but it will be there soon enough after people hit 80 and start talkin more and more about end game.

As for your idea of Explorable mode, sounds solid. And if not close to the Hard Mode of GW1. I'd really like to see something like this implemented into the game.
    Not sure if you read the OP, but the intent of the post is not for a hard mode through the whole game. It is for the ability to disable map markers so you're always 'exploring' instead of just walking from point A to point B, so when you run into a DE it's always a surprise because you did not see it coming on your map.

Sorry I got ahead of myself and was thinking of combining the ideas. =/ Still, would like to see either or in the game.

The "Hard Mode" from GW1 can't translate to an open, persistent world.

OT: I like most of the ideas, though I would prefer they showed up if and only if you had discovered them (rather than filling in (for POIs)).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Yh, sadly there can't be a HM in GW2. We'll just have to hope the explorable dungeons are hard enough to satisfy our masochistic needs

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Yh, sadly there can't be a HM in GW2. We'll just have to hope the explorable dungeons are hard enough to satisfy our masochistic needs
    Well, AC was like... Ascalon/Northern Shiverpeaks in difficulty back at level 12. The first dungeon, much like the first zones, are an entry way that eases you into things that you need to be doing.

Further ones will be harder, both normal and explorables.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

darn didnt realize this thread got its title changed. I was actualy wondering if this was a thread promoting a hardmode version of the world kinda like GW1 had after you beat a campaign. I'm rather ambivilent about the actual topic of the OP. It kinda reminds me of those folks that get mods to play an elderscrolls game hardcore with no POI's showing up on the compass, no quest markers leading them on and the like. While I dont mind if there is a UI option toggle it I doubt I'd ever bother with the feature as I never felt seeing them on the map detracted from my explorations. I mostly just used the map icons to help pick a direction. Hmm theres a heart I havent done that to the east.... east it is. Unless there was literaly nothing to stumble accross between where I was an the heart It could often take half an hour to reach a destination that was only 2 minutes away at a full run.

As for events showing up I dont see the point of turning that off. my experience was that most of them didnt show up on the map untill you were nearly on top of them and at most they just made it easier to tell where the edges of the event were. About the only exceptions where the ones NPC's told you a bout. Sometimes an NPC will run up to you and try to get your attention, if you talk to them it will reveal a nearby event that normaly would not show up.

Who is John Galt?

Well, AC was like... Ascalon/Northern Shiverpeaks in difficulty back at level 12. The first dungeon, much like the first zones, are an entry way that eases you into things that you need to be doing.

Further ones will be harder, both normal and explorables.
    Yh I know Sorry, I was talking about zones, as with GW1 where each zone also had a HM. Ofc that can't happen in GW2 as it's a persistent world populated by many other people.
    I always suck at being clear in the early morning...

Deleted
    Damn I just can't get it right with the thread title can I?
    I didn't know about the GW1 hardmode but it sounds pretty awesome, though i highly doubt it'll ever make it into GW2. Though if they had a decent development budget, I'm sure they could make a set of servers on which the environment scales to double the number of players present or something similar to provide people with their 'masochistic' needs. But as I said, server maintenance and testing would make this a fairly large development budget so it's unlikely we'll see something like this.

Damn I just can't get it right with the thread title can I?
    I didn't know about the GW1 hardmode but it sounds pretty awesome, though i highly doubt it'll ever make it into GW2. Though if they had a decent development budget, I'm sure they could make a set of servers on which the environment scales to double the number of players present or something similar to provide people with their 'masochistic' needs. But as I said, server maintenance and testing would make this a fairly large development budget so it's unlikely we'll see something like this.
    In general GW1 hardmode just boosted the level of everything. Mobs got tougher, hit harder and faster, and if it was origonaly a low level zone the skill bars got filled out more. In most cases it wasnt all that much harder you just needed to bring along builds designed to account for the higher armor and counter the damage.

The issue with the title is that for dungeons in GW2 their normal mode is called "Story" and hardmode is called Explorable mode. You can see why we got confused. I dont think it would be all that difficult to make an explorable mode for the world, just boost the level of everything 3-4 levels above where they are currently in relation to the players levels. On the other hand that would have the side effect of spliting the population into two versions of the zone which is counter to the game design goals so its unlikely to happen.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    In general GW1 hardmode just boosted the level of everything. Mobs got tougher, hit harder and faster, and if it was origonaly a low level zone the skill bars got filled out more. In most cases it wasnt all that much harder you just needed to bring along builds designed to account for the higher armor and counter the damage.

The issue with the title is that for dungeons in GW2 their normal mode is called "Story" and hardmode is called Explorable mode. You can see why we got confused. I dont think it would be all that difficult to make an explorable mode for the world, just boost the level of everything 3-4 levels above where they are currently in relation to the players levels. On the other hand that would have the side effect of spliting the population into two versions of the zone which is counter to the game design goals so its unlikely to happen.
    This is why it would have to be a separate set of servers, which would cost quite a bit.
    As for 'Explorable', I was aware of the dungeon diffculties and intended it to mean being able to make your way through the world without any kind of guiding hand, just like the explorable dungeons. But I guess I'm just bad at topic titles ;P at least this one is better than the previous one.

This new thread title is causing a whole new set of problems.. lolol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    This new thread title is causing a whole new set of problems.. lolol.
    Can't say I didn't try eh? -.-
    But the thread title is never the whole story. I never make presumptions on titles until i read the post, I just never expected other people to be different... OH GOD! WHAT IF NOT EVERYONE THINKS LIKE ME?
    Mind = blown.

Sillyness aside, I think the title has a fair relevance to the topic of discussion. If people still want to get hung up on it, then I never stood a chance at pleasing them to begin with

EDIT: Grats on 4k posts o.O

Deleted
    if you want no map, simply put a post-it on your screen where the map would be, problem solved :P