Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Lightbulb Explorable mode for the entire game

So me and a friend have talked a lot on skype about this game, coming up with ideas and plans of how we were going to play this game. A month or so ago we got really stuck into this idea of having the option to disable map features and letting people explore the world blindly. This includes minimap event tracking and event / renown tracking in the top right of the screen.
    I feel like this would immensely add to the experience of this game as it has a world fit to explore in such a way.

So just to recap:
    No tracking for the following on objectives, minimap and main map:
    Points of interest
    Events (including world events)
    Waypoints (We're in two minds about this one)
    Renown hearts
    Creatures / bosses

NOTE: This is supposed to be an option for those who want it not a definitive change to the core game.

Anyone else feel like this would be an awesome way to play the game? Would love to hear people's thoughts on this.

I am preparing a post for the forums when beta is up. Any suggestions are welcome (especially concerning the title of the post).

Dear Anet team,
    I absolutely love the game and all the changes you have made since the first beta. However, when playing, I have felt that to my particular taste, the game is leading
    me on a little too much, especially with the addition of 'vistas'. So I have a small request to make of you which I very much hope you can fit in before release.
    Here's the basic story:

The Main map and minimap and event tracker are useful tools for most players, especially when stepping into the game. However I have found that the more I play, the more I'd like to explore the world without any indicators of what is where. The request I would make of you is that you create an option to hide the icons on the main map and minimap and a 'show / hide' UI element for the event tracker to the top right of the screen. Currently, I feel like I run through the world until I notice an event update and more often than not, change direction to somewhere that I otherwise may have gone. While this has its advantages, it also can take you out of the immersive feeling that the game gives you.
    As much as I feel these features help many players, I can't help but think that the option to hide them would add a new layer to the game which could potentially extend the life of the game even more.

In terms of art assets, this option could be implemented in the main game options with the use of the existing tick boxes, leaving the budget for this feature entirely to the cost of the coding.

As for what it could bring to the game, I'll list a few things off the top of my head but I'm sure people will find other uses as well:
    A higher immersion value for roleplaying. Some people Just want to be directed by what they can see with their eyes.
    Self imposed 'Exploration challenges' in which you attempt to fully explore entire zones without the use of icons + tracking.
    The nostalgia created by talking to friends about how you discovered this awesome event or secret when you're all using this feature.
    'Hardcore' races from 1-80 without using icons / event tracking.
    The 'skyrim feeling' of running around not knowing what is happening around you until you pay attention to the detail (which brings me to the next point)

The amount of detail that is in this game is enormous and quite frankly, it would be a shame for people to miss the quirky conversations and small events triggered by interaction. Not being able to see the Icons for renown hearts and skill challenges, you would be encouraged to talk to NPCs and hear their stories. I have thought about this idea for a couple weeks now, taking into account cost and effect upon the game and I'm not going to pretend I know better than you, but frommy limited view, I see this being a very cost effective feature that would take very little time and funding to add in.

Ideas for Icon option implementation (sorted by cost vs time)
    One button to show / hide all either on the map or in the options.
    Several buttons, one for each icon for a more customizable feel.
    If you feel especially generous - someone suggested this in a thread I created on this topic:

'In the character creation section , the game could ask you if you are an <<exploration guy>> , so all these things are hidden .
    And an ingame button to enable/disable them.'

But the baseline is this: any form of being able to hide those icons and the event tracker would be immensely apprecieted, no matter how low budget you want.
    Pretty please?
    With sugar, cherries and icing on top?

Thanks for reading!
    EDIT: Title fixed. Thanks Kelesti!
    Last edited by mmocc12e1a6c25; 2012-07-09 at 08:46 PM.

Deleted
    Its a prety nice idea
    Like , in the character creation section , the game ask u if u are an <<exploration guys>> , so all these things are hidden .
    Or if u would like some direction tips
    And a ingame bottun to enable/disable them

U should make a threat at GW2 section about it

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm....I like this idea!

I'd like to see it customizable so you could say leave the waypoints on but turn the hearts/events/bosses off.
    Post it up on the next beta. Or I hear there is a certain dev that's been snooping about on the Guild Wars 2 Guru site, make a post there ;-)
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    U should make a threat at GW2 section about it
    I did but it got no attention. Sad really, because once you play it all once, you'll know where things are.
    However making it a permanent option on a new character is something i hadn't thought of... sort of a 'hardcore' option i suppose. Would really make the game shine :O

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that you should be able to disable that sort of stuff, but you're wrong on one very specific thing: The map does NOT show everything. It only shows waypoints, heart tasks, and arbitrarily-decided "points of interest." And I guess vendors.

It does NOT show you every single DE that exists on that map, not does it show you jumping puzzles, nor does it show you the locations of NPCs that will start DEs.

You still have a LOT of reason to explore, so don't quite just because you have map completion.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I understand your desire to have something like this, but to call such a trivial feature "...an absolutely vital option!" seems like you are drastically overstating it if you ask me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I agree that you should be able to disable that sort of stuff, but you're wrong on one very specific thing: The map does NOT show everything. It only shows waypoints, heart tasks, and arbitrarily-decided "points of interest." And I guess vendors.

It does NOT show you every single DE that exists on that map, not does it show you jumping puzzles, nor does it show you the locations of NPCs that will start DEs.

You still have a LOT of reason to explore, so don't quite just because you have map completion.
    I don't disagree with you on that but I'd really like to just disable it all and use the map as simply a map. An image taken from above. No hints as to where anything is. This way, you'll be talking to the NPCs to find stories, events and renown hearts.
    My main reasoning for this is that many people, myself included, are coming from other MMOs where you rarely talk to NPCs or explore an area in full without a quest or obvious landmark taking you there.

---------- Post added 2012-07-07 at 07:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dollada06 View Post
    I understand your desire to have something like this, but to call such a trivial feature "...an absolutely vital option!" seems like you are drastically overstating it if you ask me.
    The game is missing what is (to-me) an absolutely vital option

Quote Originally Posted by incarcerated View Post
    I don't disagree with you on that but I'd really like to just disable it all and use the map as simply a map. An image taken from above. No hints as to where anything is. This way, you'll be talking to the NPCs to find stories, events and renown hearts.
    My main reasoning for this is that many people, myself included, are coming from other MMOs where you rarely talk to NPCs or explore an area in full without a quest or obvious landmark taking you there.

---------- Post added 2012-07-07 at 07:27 AM ----------

The game is missing what is (to-me) an absolutely vital option
    Yeah that is why I said you are overstating it. I'm not saying it's a good or bad idea, but to say it is vital if you ask me is just a bit much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dollada06 View Post
    Yeah that is why I said you are overstating it. I'm not saying it's a good or bad idea, but to say it is vital if you ask me is just a bit much.
    I have explained my reasoning for it being vital to me above. Coming from WoW, rift, SWtoR and other games, the transition will take me much longer if I feel like I have a path to follow and objectives to complete because I will simply ignore the exploration. I have played the beta and I stopped because I found myself playing it as if it was another MMO.
    I can't enjoy this game to the fullest without being able to disable the given objectives. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by incarcerated View Post
    I have explained my reasoning for it being vital to me above. Coming from WoW, rift, SWtoR and other games, the transition will take me much longer if I feel like I have a path to follow and objectives to complete because I will simply ignore the exploration. I have played the beta and I stopped because I found myself playing it as if it was another MMO.
    I can't enjoy this game to the fullest without being able to disable the given objectives. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has this issue.
    While I can agree with you at some extent. In the closed beta the hearts weren't in the map and people just felt too lost. People like direction, and if anything even as of now gw2 lacks the direction most people seem to need (Hence the enormous amount of threads bashing the game). Thats also why they put the scouts on the map, to make directions a little more easy.

Now as for my opinion on it to be honest knowing where the hearts were, or waypoints or points of interest have never changed the fact that I wanted to explore, or anything near that. Cause with the amount of options that you can do, you simply get lost inside the game and often go quite the opposite way of the renown heart that you intended to go (that youre level matches). I never felt like there was a path to follow, I always read everything because I'm interested. The events that are nearby you often keep you out of your way anyways ("Oh an event? Ill just go help..."). I respect your point of view, and while I don't know how and IF it would be possible I wish it could be a gameplay option. But keep in mind that you can come to gw2 with an open mind, without thinking of WoW, rift and SwToR. Even without the tool you are asking for.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    While I can agree with you at some extent. In the closed beta the hearts weren't in the map and people just felt too lost. People like direction, and if anything even as of now gw2 lacks the direction most people seem to need (Hence the enormous amount of threads bashing the game). Thats also why they put the scouts on the map, to make directions a little more easy.

Now as for my opinion on it to be honest knowing where the hearts were, or waypoints or points of interest have never changed the fact that I wanted to explore, or anything near that. Cause with the amount of options that you can do, you simply get lost inside the game and often go quite the opposite way of the renown heart that you intended to go (that youre level matches). I never felt like there was a path to follow, I always read everything because I'm interested. The events that are nearby you often keep you out of your way anyways ("Oh an event? Ill just go help..."). I respect your point of view, and while I don't know how and IF it would be possible I wish it could be a gameplay option. But keep in mind that you can come to gw2 with an open mind, without thinking of WoW, rift and SwToR. Even without the tool you are asking for.
    I guess it doesn't come so easily to me to think in the right way for this game. I know a lot of people will be able to jump right in and play as it is meant to be played but I'm just stuck in a rut i guess. I'll give it another go in BWE3 but I think it'll take me a long time to grasp the concept of how this game is supposed to be played.
    Furthermore, I think it would still be a fun option for people who aren't like me. Playing the game blind leaves you guessing where to go, running back and forth and maybe doing things a whole lot differently to the last time round. It is a multi-purpose tool that could add a whole new layer of fun to the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel the direction in GW2 is just right. Gives you just enough of a push to guide you to various areas of the map, without showing you exactly where you should be going.

Worth noting: you could just never open the map.

God forbid.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I feel the direction in GW2 is just right. Gives you just enough of a push to guide you to various areas of the map, without showing you exactly where you should be going.

Worth noting: you could just never open the map.

God forbid.
    :O!
    My life is a lie!
    It's so tempting tho :<

Deleted
    Here's what I wrote on GW2guru. should help to explain things a little more clearly

Let me try explaining this another way.
    In closed beta they didn't have renown heart tracking which left a lot of people confused as to where they should go as they were looking for an objective to complete or some kind of indication of how you play the game. But after you figure things out, you quickly find yourself following the pattern of other MMOs whereby you complete every objective in sight and mark a zone complete, despite the fact you might have missed 2 jumping puzzles, various events that aren't marked and those small things that make the game all the more special. If you then decide that you want to turn off tracking so you don't skim over a zone, you could find countless large or small features.
    You learn the mechanics of the game, then you immerse yourself. I know for some people it might be a strange concept but I feel like the game would just be easier to get into this way.

I should also point out that it adds a completely new layer to the game for people who don't need help with the transition. For example, an RP player could turn off the tracking as it takes away from their immersion and they may want to just run into things that are happening in the world without being guided there. Taking away these elements makes immersion all the more intense and it really feels like a living breathing world.
    I played with the UI hidden for part of the beta and enjoyed it a lot. The drawback is not being able to see your abilities and your health. Try it next beta weekend and see what you think, I guarantee you will cease to see tyria as a game world and see it as a real world.

A "vital option" would be including a Twitter client into the game, so that one doesn't need to alt-tab to brag about how awesome GW2 is.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    This is the first question my friend asked when he played bwe. He thought we had to explore and find the events. I think this should be an option.
    You do for a lot of them.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    You do for a lot of them.
    You just had to go to the general area and they would pop up on your map, I think he wants to be completely surprised when he runs into a DE. Kind of like that jumping puzzle "HOLY CRAP LOOK WHAT I FOUND!" feeling for every DE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    You just had to go to the general area and they would pop up on your map, I think he wants to be completely surprised when he runs into a DE. Kind of like that jumping puzzle "HOLY CRAP LOOK WHAT I FOUND!" feeling for every DE.
    There are events and just random happenings that don't show themselves on the map. Most commonly they are activated by an NPC.

Like in the swamp in queensdale, there is a book that summons a demon to fight inside a wooden hut; for example.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

The title had me worried for a second, thought it was going to another thread about the trinity! I honestly don't mind it as they happen almost everywhere on the map so im close by an event no matter where I am in the zone. It is more fun when its a surprise!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saah View Post
    Currently in Russia there is too much freedom, you can freely do things, that would cause you be arrested in USA.

Deleted
    Vital (adj; from latin vita, life)
    Of life
    Life-sustaining
    Full of life
    Imparting life
    Necessary to continued existence
    Recording data regarding life
    Applied to living cell or tissue
    Fatal

Bolded one is the definition when you're talking about a vital feature.

Please, let's not use words where they don't belong. A "vital feature" would be the ability to move. I agree that being able to hide all guideline markers would be fun, but I don't think you can state that without this feature, the game cannot be played by you.