1. #1

    A new card, or a new CPU?

    Hey everyone, i'm coming to you with a question that has been really tearing at me lately.

    It's due time for me to get an upgrade to my desktop, and I have been planning to get one, but everytime I am about to get a new Video Card, someone suggests to get a new CPU instead and it just makes me wonder if I am really making the right choice. So, I figure since there are a lot more people here with knowledge about the difference and which I should buy, I came to you.

    Before I start, let me start with some specs and info.

    My video card is a ATI Radeon HD 5450

    My processor is a AMD Athlon II X2 250

    I can go up to 1920x1080 Resolution, but I don't mind playing medium to high quality graphics at around 1600x900
    ( I can only currently play at 800x600 on skyrim without too much spikiness and it's at the point that I can't do it anymore)

    I have about a 120$ budget to buy a new part, looking for high-medium quality, it can be a little bit more than 120$, but id say 140+ is pushing it.

    So, my question now is, which of the two should I buy? I have two cards already in mind that I can't link but they are on newegg and they are the HIS Radeon HD 6750, and the XFX Radeon HD 7750.
    But if a CPU would be a better choice, why? and if you could, maybe help me choose one for my desktop.

    Let me know if you guys need any more information, I believe this should be enough to help me out

    I greatly, GREATLY appreciate any feedback you can give me.

  2. #2
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,085
    I'd say opt to upgrade your GPU first, as it's pretty damn low end, but don't get me wrong, so is the CPU. Frankly though, games like Skyrim use the GPU a good amount more.

    I suggest an AMD Radeon HD 6850, which you can get for $125 after MIR.

    Would be a very good upgrade, better than 6750 or 7750 for the money, if you ask me.

    Next up would definitely be upgrading your CPU, hopefully your motherboard is high enough to upgrade to a decent CPU, or you may need to save up more to go Intel next, perhaps.

  3. #3
    Brewmaster Xl House lX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,260
    I used to have the HD 5450... its a terrible card. But yes upgrade card first, then CPU.

    EDIT: I got a EVGA GTX 550-Ti, a lot of people will tell you its not worth the money, but its a decent card and can be SLI-ed in the future if you wish you need more power, and its not bad expensive.

  4. #4
    Mechagnome select20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    687
    I just upgraded from a 5770 to a 7770 factory oc'd to 1100MHz for 109$ after MIR. I know it wasn't a huge step up, in fact the only reason I bought it was because it was such good deal. Anyways, I was playing skyrim at around 40fps on high settings with a few turned down to now clicking it to Ultra and maintaining 60+ fps constantly. Radeon's have never been loud but I dont' even hear my 7770 where could always hear my 5770.

    Again, I know there are better cards, but I was strapped for cash and I couldn't beat 109$ at Microcenter. If it had literally been 15$ more, I wouldn't have gotten it (tough times indeed).

    As far as your question.... hmmm. I would go GPU then immediately save for a CPU. Make sure your PSU is up to par though.
    "A wise man fears and departs from evil, But a fool rages and is self-confident."

  5. #5
    Pit Lord Wries's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    2,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Trogdora View Post
    I used to have the HD 5450... its a terrible card. But yes upgrade card first, then CPU.

    EDIT: I got a EVGA GTX 550-Ti, a lot of people will tell you its not worth the money, but its a decent card and can be SLI-ed in the future if you wish you need more power, and its not bad expensive.
    The main quirk that I and many others have had with the 550 is that it was priced similarly to the 460 and the latter is simply a better card.
    Obsidian 350D | i7 2700K @ 4.8GHz | ASUS Maximus V Gene Z77 | 32GB RAM | Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan @ 1.1Ghz, 7GHz Memory, BIOS mod. | 500GB SSD | 4TB Stripe

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    Make sure your PSU is up to par though.
    I recently just bought a Corsair CX600 W PSU, because my last one died out on me, I think that should be good enough.

    And thanks for the suggestions and feedback everyone, I really appreciate it. I'll get what you suggested Deltrus, the price after MIR is definitely doable for me. Once I grab enough cash to get the CPU I suppose I'll look around again and do some research. But thanks everyone!

  7. #7
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaggles View Post
    I recently just bought a Corsair CX600 W PSU, because my last one died out on me, I think that should be good enough.

    And thanks for the suggestions and feedback everyone, I really appreciate it. I'll get what you suggested Deltrus, the price after MIR is definitely doable for me. Once I grab enough cash to get the CPU I suppose I'll look around again and do some research. But thanks everyone!
    If you know what socket mobo you have, like AM2, AM2+, AM3, etc, we could help you start figuring out what options are available.

  8. #8
    Looks like I have an AM3 socket currently.

  9. #9
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,085
    Awesome, that has upgrade possibilities for sure. Unless of course you're able to save up more money in the future, you could get an Intel Ivy Bridge setup and get insanely higher performance.

  10. #10
    Hmmmm its very tempting, but itll take a bit till I get the money for that. If it's as good as you say, I will probably save up for it. Thanks for the help!

  11. #11
    Bloodsail Admiral DarkBlade6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Québec
    Posts
    1,159
    MSI 7770:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127687

    It perform almost as good as 6850, can easily be overclocked to 1100mhz without touching voltage, it stay super cool and quiet, even under load you can keep the fan under 50% and it will stay cool, consume less power.. its also cheaper and its within your budget.
    Core i5 3570k @ 4.7Ghz | Asus Gene Z77 | 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz | Asus GTX780 SLI
    Corsair 350D | Corsair H100i Push/Pull | RAID0 2X Corsair GT3 240GB | Corsair AX860i

  12. #12
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,085
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    MSI 7770:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127687

    It perform almost as good as 6850, can easily be overclocked to 1100mhz without touching voltage, it stay super cool and quiet, even under load you can keep the fan under 50% and it will stay cool, consume less power.. its also cheaper and its within your budget.
    That fan looks like a loud one. =S

    Otherwise looks fairly good!

  13. #13
    I would never SLI 550-Tis. I would just buy a gtx 570 haha

  14. #14
    Pandaren Monk Klutzington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    'Murrica, of course.
    Posts
    1,920
    Hello, Swaggles . I would suggest you upgrade your GPU first with this: Radeon HD 6870 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161389

    However, if you need a cheaper alternative (only $20), you can get this one: Radeon HD 6850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102908

    I recommend you get the Radeon 6870, though.

    Secondly, this will probably be the best processor upgrade for you. It is an AMD Quad Core at 3.6GHz: AMD FX-4100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103996

    Good luck .

  15. #15
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostyqt View Post
    Hello, Swaggles . I would suggest you upgrade your GPU first with this: Radeon HD 6870 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161389
    He said that price would be beyond his budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostyqt View Post
    However, if you need a cheaper alternative (only $20), you can get this one: Radeon HD 6850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102908
    Thank you for posting exactly what I suggested in the first reply. -.-

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostyqt View Post
    I recommend you get the Radeon 6870, though.

    Secondly, this will probably be the best processor upgrade for you. It is an AMD Quad Core at 3.6GHz: AMD FX-4100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103996

    Good luck .
    Not even really a true quad core, tbf. Though at budget, it would work fine.

  16. #16
    Pandaren Monk Klutzington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    'Murrica, of course.
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    He said that price would be beyond his budget.


    Thank you for posting exactly what I suggested in the first reply. -.-



    Not even really a true quad core, tbf. Though at budget, it would work fine.
    I didn't really read the comments, just the main post -_-.

    Sorry, but I guess if he can save up a little more money, the 6870 is worth it. Eh...yeah...this is a really tight budget >.>.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •