What would be easier???

Hey,

I haven't played WoW in about 6 or 7 months..I have a full holy Paladin with no off-spec gear. I plan on playing WoW casually when MoP comes out, but I'm not interested in Holy anymore..I want to re-roll ret.

My question is:

Would it be easier to just roll another toon from 1-85, or somehow try to get a ret set..

Before I get a bunch of replies like "get a ret set of course u fuckin noob," the reason I ask because maybe getting a ret set isn't that easy? Leveling 1-85 you're guarenteed (while leveling) to choose the ret gear..running dungeons you have a certain % to get some plate dps gear to drop..I could be running dungeons for the next year and not get a full ret set due to drop %.

Any suggestions?

Just go farm some retri gear from 5 man heroics and LFR. On the way you'll get some VP/JP for it.
    Rufflesaurus <Huhuholics> Tarren Mill EU

Deleted
    You will only get shit ret gear from 1-85, just farm 5mans and lfr and find a guild and do some raids. Much faster.

Have you ever worked on Ret before? If you're unfamiliar with it, you may want to reroll and level as Ret to get the full experience. It really isn't that hard, but it's not easy to learn without gear, and that's where you're gonna have problems. Especially when it comes to trinkets. I have all three plate classes and only two are what I would consider to be "fully geared" - and it took forever to get the Warrior (third toon to 85) all his pieces, while my DK (second 85) still needs several items (somewhat of a moot point, though, considering he's MS Blood, now). Rolling OS as you likely will be will catch you a lot of flak from people rolling MS, and that on top of the already horrendous RNG of drops.

I think your best option would probably be to look at investing in the crafted PvP gear (which is all iL 377, now, I think?) which, while not giving you your full potential power, will get you everything but trinkets for the relatively low-cost of mats. Blacksmiths will make the armor (and some non-PvP weapons), of course, while jewelcrafters can supply rings and necklace, and I think inscription can provide a relic. Don't worry about gems and enchants for the PvP gear, either; save that stuff for the 378 dungeon drops.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

10+ Year Old Account
    Doing LFR/5 mans and spending JP/VP is a very easy way to gear up. Even if the gear isn't that great, once you start leveling in MoP you will replace items very quickly anyway.

If you're not playing WoW until MoP, I would suggest keeping your Holy spec for a little bit. At the moment on the beta, Holy does decent enough DPS at 85 with Holy Shock, Judgement and Denounce (the replacement for Exorcism) that you can easily solo your way through enough quests to get all your gear replaced with Retribution stuff. Once you have the essential pieces, like the weapon and a good amount of strength plate, you can make the permanent switch to Retribution. With the way quest rewards will work in MoP, it will not take very long.

If you're looking to switch currently, look through all the reputation vendors for any 333, 346 and 359 items you can buy with gold, then heal dungeons for justice and valor, picking up off-set pieces for Ret whenever you can. You can even heal LFR and try to gather a T13 Ret set since you'll get the roll bonus on tier tokens. There are a lot of guides you can read to learn how to play as Ret efficiently, and you can practice by doing dailies or running regular dungeons until you feel comfortable with it.
    Last edited by Archibalde; 2012-07-07 at 11:23 PM.

Deleted
    Depends on if you wanna learn Ret or just want to get Ret gear i would suggest you level a new Paladin when MoP hits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Takla View Post
    Depends on if you wanna learn Ret or just want to get Ret gear i would suggest you level a new Paladin when MoP hits.
    Because it's impossible to learn ret at max level, even though we get one of our most important abilities at 81 and a major cd at 85.
    Last edited by mmoc8b393fc574; 2012-07-08 at 12:36 PM. Reason: fixed level

10+ Year Old Account
    You are saying you want to Re-roll in MoP?

If that's the case, then you should NOT level a new toon because when MoP comes out the class will not be the same and you will have to learn the new MoP style of play anyways. Also, right now in Beta there are vendors that sell 85 greens for all classes and specs, we been calling these greens, "Level 85 leveling greens." The purpose of these greens is to let everyone re-roll what ever spec they want. I have a feeling that these vendors will stay for MoP live to give people like you the chance to have a solid leveling set.

In MoP quests give you gear based on your Spec and Class, so if you just go ret at the start of MoP and quest, you should have a full ret set by the time you hit 86 (assuming they don't leave the Level 85 leveling greens Vendors in.)

Quote Originally Posted by Valkiri View Post
    ...we get one of our most important abilities at 83...
    I think you mean 81, for Inquisition, right? Holy Radiance is what we get at 83.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grognard View Post
    I think you mean 81, for Inquisition, right? Holy Radiance is what we get at 83.
    Yeah 81, my bad.

Deleted
    LFR for tokens, spend on ret gear.
    5mans, just need all STR plate. If someone whines tell me to deal with it.
    Reputation and JP/VP items.
    VP/JP BoEs, craftables, trash BoEs.
    Easy.